Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 19-10-2006, 04:38 PM   #61
DJL351
XR & FPV Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by james22
I was starting to wonder myself if the rear shock mounts are ******. Car makes a thumping noise when I decelerate/turn. I'm telling you now its not me on the pedal thats the problem.

It does feel like the TPS doesnt know whats going on, cause you are accelerating or decelerating. No cruise, unless i hold it back in 3rd where it revs a bit more. Then I can cruise because my foot is farther onto the accelerator and the TPS realises.
At low engine rpm & low throttle load it just hesitates real bad, doesnt know whether you want it to go or not.

And it still likes to step out in the dry...
Is it a manual? I thought I read it was????

With a manual, in gear if the foot is on the gas it goes, take it off and it starts to engine brake. It won't "float" unless you clutch it.
Or do you mean it will not keep a constant speed with a constant throttle input?

The "thump" does it happen in the dry too?
Can you get it to thump when you brake hard?
What about on hard throttle, does it thump then?
Does it sound like it's coming from the floor, boot or rear seat?
2005 BF GT (6sp manual - Build #183)
2015 SZ MkII Territory Titanium
2016.75 LZ Focus Sport

Quote:
probably the stupidist post on aff - congrats
Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
There was once a time when every young man in this country was familiar with firearms and many owned them privately along with a stock of ammo and some bush gear.

Now the best we can hope for is to unfriend them on facebook then SMS their commanders with !!!1!!!!!!11!1!! and then finally plank a tank.......
DJL351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2006, 08:16 PM   #62
SileNceR
02/90 EA II Fairmont

what if it's running really rich or something, have you checked basics like plugs, leads etc
Old 20-10-2006, 08:38 AM   #63
james22
With da Warlords

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJL351
Is it a manual? I thought I read it was????

With a manual, in gear if the foot is on the gas it goes, take it off and it starts to engine brake. It won't "float" unless you clutch it.
Or do you mean it will not keep a constant speed with a constant throttle input?

The "thump" does it happen in the dry too?
Can you get it to thump when you brake hard?
What about on hard throttle, does it thump then?
Does it sound like it's coming from the floor, boot or rear seat?
It wont keep a constant speed at low throttle input, low revs.
Braking Hard No it doesnt thump, except where one of the twin exh pipes hits underneith.
If I accelerate & turn, yeah it'll thump a bit, sounds like its coming from the back seat, or under it.

For Sale: Parachute. Only used once, never opened, small stain.

Windsor Warlords
AU III XR-8220
300+ rwhp of Manual fun

XR50T Ute - 300rwkw (give or take depending on the day)
james22 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2006, 07:14 PM   #64
black ute
SII XR8

I have had similar throttle issues with my XR8.
I found that after not driving the car for a week or so the initial pedal movement would be very stiff, resulting in surging while driving, and spinning or stalling when taking off.
Eventually tracked it down to carbon build up in the throttlebody going realy hard and crusty when the ute wasn't being driven.
Cleaned the throttlebody and the problem hasn't come back.

Anyway, at least you don't have an auto changing gears on you mid slide,
very scary in a 6cyl lsd work ute.
black ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2006, 11:27 PM   #65
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

I'm gonna say **** tyres. Mine is now running nice and smooth but is a real ***** in the wet with the crappy Wanli tyres that are on it (85% tread left). Get yourself some decent rubber under it and see how you go.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2006, 05:03 PM   #66
nitroman
nitroman

I've got Maxxis maz1's all round on my au1 xr8 and I find them great in the wet and dry. Turn those sava's into smoke and get Maxxis for the rear as well. If you have a manual use the clutch as traction control when she starts to get loose. I actually enjoy wet driving, it's like double the horsepower for free!
nitroman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2006, 06:25 PM   #67
Sapper
Back to the AU

I had the ST sideways this morning at about 30km/h with a breath of throttle (ie less than 1mm of throttle). It is definately the dodgy firenza's that are on the rear. Shows the difference between the decent dunlops i have on the fronts and some dodgy no names.
Old 22-10-2006, 07:32 PM   #68
nitroman
nitroman

Wheel alignment also has a lot to do with traction wet and dry. After you get a couple of new maxxis tyres get a decent wheel alignment (not just front toe in like most tyre shops) and you will be amazed at the handling transformation. If it oversteers like buggery it probably has too much toe in and neg camber up front.
GASGAS 400 enduro.
Honda hr192 mower
nitroman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2006, 03:19 PM   #69
Jondalar
Formely FG G6E Turbo

Just wanted to add my 2c worth, I have had my BF XR8 auto for 3 weeks now and drove in the rain for the first time last weekend, what a shock! I should point out I came from driving a Subaru Outback 3.0R (2004) which you could literally floor the throttle in any conditions apart from hard cornering, with zero slip.

In the dry the XR8 easily out grips the Subaru, but in the wet I found it quite interesting, the car was easy in a straight line, even with some wheelspin the DSC controlled it, but on any sort of corner it was very easy to step the rear out of line. I am sure I'll get used to radically changing my driving style in the wet, but I sure am glad to have traction control and DSC to help out.
Jondalar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2006, 06:52 PM   #70
walker
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I work at Beaurepaires and both the tyres you mentioned are crap the savas are acually made in the dunlop factory but are still a really cheap budget tyre, and the maxiss are well lets just say the savas are better. But the 220kw's and a manual would proberly be the reason

XE project underway
walker is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2006, 07:46 PM   #71
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Actually, Walker, the Maxxis are a pretty god tyre. Plenty on the forums swear by them, and I have personally used the savas for over 12 months in an auto V8 and had no trouble at all. But then I'm 37 and have finally worked out how to control the right foot when I need to (which is pretty much only in the wet).
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2006, 09:55 PM   #72
needaXYGT
AU II XR8

a falcon is a heavy car and once they start to slide they keep going as i found out on monday while going just that little bit to fast in what you could call a dirt skid pan. no damage though. doesnt take much for them to start sliding.
needaXYGT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2006, 10:00 PM   #73
Scott

I have Sava's on the spare Fairmo........... Sava + V8 + Rain = Most Fun with Clothes on!
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2006, 05:27 PM   #74
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Honestly i dunno why people say their cars are a pain in the wet i manage my TE in the wet (when it rains) i have about 60% 245 toyo trampios on the rear even with traction control off i can drive around and not let it spin. Although i have heard a few stories about SAVA tyres.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2006, 06:33 PM   #75
HLC
Audi S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SileNceR
I've got Fulda Carat Extremo's on my MX5, where do you get the fulda tyres from generally can't seem to find anywhere in Warrnambool that sells them (not that I've looked really hard)
we run those on my mums Fairlane.

i get them from the Bob Jane i go to.

excellent tire, wet and dry. will still let go if you push it, but generally very good. mine are a little on the low side.. 3-5mm tread left, so all this rain in sydney is helping the cause