Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 21-06-2007, 04:00 PM   #1
xrobx
Slammin'

Default 6x9s

I guess this audio related, but I'd probably get better responses here.

If I was to install 6x9's into my EB parcel shelf, would the seat belt retractor cover be in the way?

www.bseries.com.au/xrobx
xrobx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2007, 04:06 PM   #2
EF Futura 07
14.915 @ 151 KPH

lol, yes they are in the way but if you turn them around they will fit. looks wierd but :

EL XR Front, 16 inch Tickford's, Superlow's Front/Rear with Monroe GT Sport's : , XR6T Snorkle/Fram Filter, 4499's/Hi Flow Cat/2.5 inch Redback, 4.11's/LSD, 5% Tint, Sony Head Unit/ 6 1/2 Inch 190w Speaker's
: 14.915 @ 151 kph 60' 2.254 :
EF Futura 07 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2007, 04:14 PM   #3
DEVL-XR
EBII XR6

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Just move the 6x9's to the edge so they fit in. Look at my build thread to have a look.
Old 21-06-2007, 04:27 PM   #4
Gunns
Banned

6x9s are a waste of time if you are running a sub. The only benifit you get out of them over 6' is extra bass.
Gunns is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2007, 04:29 PM   #5
xrobx
Slammin'

Cheers, I couldn't find a good picture that showed this though.

www.bseries.com.au/xrobx
Old 21-06-2007, 05:20 PM   #6
DEVL-XR
EBII XR6

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Old 21-06-2007, 06:10 PM   #7
LTDHO
The one and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunns
6x9s are a waste of time if you are running a sub. The only benifit you get out of them over 6' is extra bass.
Agree 100%.

They are usuless, unless you have a ute or hatch an not sub.

I'd never run them. I prefer bass from subs and mid from 6"
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2007, 06:23 PM   #8
CaRtZ
Aspiring mr efxr

6x9's can be tuned to produce mid-bass and not all subs are setup for over powering bass. best to run 6x9s through an amp tho for quality

Standard = 99.6rwkw <!> 2.5" SuperCat cat back exhaust, Wade 1636 cam, K&N boxed pod (new dyno required
Sony headunit, splits, 6.5"s and 2 x 12" with response precision amp = 135.5 dB

Daily = Ae82 '85 corolla Fwd :togo: , 5 speed, 12" sub, 6x9's, green LED's

the course i am studying: http://www.wodonga.tafe.edu.au/01_courses/course.jsp?id=AUR30905NANA
CaRtZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2007, 10:30 PM   #9
xrobx
Slammin'

yeah, I just saw some 6x9's at JB for a decent price, and my ancient clarion 6" are barely holding up to my needs.

I guess by what you guys are saying, I should just invest in some decent 6" then.

Cheers.

www.bseries.com.au/xrobx
Old 22-06-2007, 01:36 AM   #10
CaRtZ
Aspiring mr efxr

thats the way i went... but now the tweeters in em are shaged. they r sony's. so go somethin better than them

Standard = 99.6rwkw <!> 2.5" SuperCat cat back exhaust, Wade 1636 cam, K&N boxed pod (new dyno required
Sony headunit, splits, 6.5"s and 2 x 12" with response precision amp = 135.5 dB

Daily = Ae82 '85 corolla Fwd :togo: , 5 speed, 12" sub, 6x9's, green LED's

the course i am studying: http://www.wodonga.tafe.edu.au/01_courses/course.jsp?id=AUR30905NANA
CaRtZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2007, 12:22 PM   #11
XW 393
"WHEEZER" POWERED

Default Need some quick help - EL Rear Speakers 6 X 9's

Hey all, I am getting a pair of 6X9's for my XR8, when it comes to audio I am a doofus so..... are they easy to fit ? do I need to modify anything ? will i need spacers ? etc etc. Any help would be great.
Oh and it has a factory stacker.

Cheers, Audio Nuff Nuff !! (Ben)

Old 22-06-2007, 12:28 PM   #12
xrobx
Slammin'

Wouldn't consider Sony's. Heard bad things about them.

What brands to look out for?

Pioneer, Kenwood? Or go better, say Blaupunkt or JBL?

www.bseries.com.au/xrobx
Old 22-06-2007, 01:07 PM   #13
EF Futura 07
14.915 @ 151 KPH

lol iv got no idea either :

i do know that 6x9's wont fit in ther parcel shelf because of the seatbelt retractor, unless you moddify the shelf or turn the speakers the other way round(they do look weird that way but). also do you plan to get subs? because if you do dont get 6x9's only get 6"!!!

EL XR Front, 16 inch Tickford's, Superlow's Front/Rear with Monroe GT Sport's : , XR6T Snorkle/Fram Filter, 4499's/Hi Flow Cat/2.5 inch Redback, 4.11's/LSD, 5% Tint, Sony Head Unit/ 6 1/2 Inch 190w Speaker's
Old 22-06-2007, 01:09 PM   #14
lukey
www.lukehimself.net

I just put mine in the other way around so the seat belt retractor wasn't in the way,

Old 22-06-2007, 01:21 PM   #15
webby_191189
low wagooon

A good set of 6 inch component speakers will sound better and you wont have the ugly spacers either

webby_191189 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2007, 01:22 PM   #16
LTDHO
The one and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob-xr6
Wouldn't consider Sony's. Heard bad things about them.

What brands to look out for?

Pioneer, Kenwood? Or go better, say Blaupunkt or JBL?
Sony are good for looks not sound.

The hard part is fitting them, as it's illegal to cut the shelf!
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
Old 22-06-2007, 01:24 PM   #17
xrobx
Slammin'

They wouldn't fit? It's not illegal to drill new holes is it?

www.bseries.com.au/xrobx
Old 22-06-2007, 01:27 PM   #18
Sorted
OzEcruisers PRESIDENT

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: For all the contributions you make to the AFF community. 

Doubt 6 by 9's will fit in the rear parcel shelf unless you cut the parcel shelf bigger holes

BUT when you cut the parcel shelf the car is classed as UNROADWORTHY

Sell them and get some 6" or 6.5" 2 ways or 3 ways which will be an easy fit without any cutting and you car will still be roadworthy

Also 6 by 9's are overkill for rear speakers as rears are just fillers most of the sound/volume should be coming from the front speakers.

I only have rear speakers as my rear passengers complained about the bass when sitting in the rear

If you have your mind set on putting the rears in get 6" by 9" spacers (which are huge) from your local Autobarn or Supercheap and mount them that way - do not cut your parcel shelf

Tuned by DYNOMOTIVE

200BUX - AFF Drag Nats 2019 EF Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednose View Post
Common knowledge that the more weight you take out of the car the less power you need to run the time.
Sorted is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2007, 01:29 PM   #19
EF Futura 07
14.915 @ 151 KPH

yep it is : because the parcel shelf is a "Structual" part of the car, it is illegal to modify it.

Old 22-06-2007, 01:56 PM   #20
xrobx
Slammin'

Jeeez, that's a kick in the teeth. A load of bulls**t. Ohwell, I'll just get some decent 6's.

Thanks all.

www.bseries.com.au/xrobx
Old 22-06-2007, 02:01 PM   #21
LTDHO
The one and only

Threads merged.
Old 22-06-2007, 02:05 PM   #22

putting spacers in sucks anyway coz of the slope of the back windscreen, you cant get a screwdriver or drill in there to screw the speakers to the spacers. well, i couldnt anyway. so theyre just sitting in the spacers, at an angle (to get around the seatbelt retractor), and they look crap. at least they dont rattle.
seXE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2007, 03:34 PM   #23
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRHEMI
Doubt 6 by 9's will fit in the rear parcel shelf unless you cut the parcel shelf bigger holes

BUT when you cut the parcel shelf the car is classed as UNROADWORTHY

Sell them and get some 6" or 6.5" 2 ways or 3 ways which will be an easy fit without any cutting and you car will still be roadworthy

Also 6 by 9's are overkill for rear speakers as rears are just fillers most of the sound/volume should be coming from the front speakers.

I only have rear speakers as my rear passengers complained about the bass when sitting in the rear

If you have your mind set on putting the rears in get 6" by 9" spacers (which are huge) from your local Autobarn or Supercheap and mount them that way - do not cut your parcel shelf
Yep, and a panel shop quotes about $1500 to reverse this by having to cut the old shelf out and weld a new one in.
private9 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2007, 06:04 PM   #24
Sorted
OzEcruisers PRESIDENT

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: For all the contributions you make to the AFF community. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by private9
Yep, and a panel shop quotes about $1500 to reverse this by having to cut the old shelf out and weld a new one in.
****........ imagine the work, remove the rear window, remove rear seats, remove rear centre belt, unpick parcel shelve, etc then put it all back in.......

Also you would have to buy an undamaged parcel shelf from somewhere which i doubt you can get from Ford but you would have to get from a wreck and then the seller would have to do all of the above to remove it for you.

All just because you wanted 6 by 9's in the rear.............

If you were unlikely to get a canary for any reason what-so-ever then you wouldn't be able to get it cleared until all of the above work was done.

Or even to sell you car buyers would knock your selling price down as they would have to fix the parcel shelf to get a roadworthy.

Tuned by DYNOMOTIVE

200BUX - AFF Drag Nats 2019 EF Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednose View Post
Common knowledge that the more weight you take out of the car the less power you need to run the time.
Sorted is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2007, 07:35 PM   #25
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRHEMI
****........ imagine the work, remove the rear window, remove rear seats, remove rear centre belt, unpick parcel shelve, etc then put it all back in.......

Also you would have to buy an undamaged parcel shelf from somewhere which i doubt you can get from Ford but you would have to get from a wreck and then the seller would have to do all of the above to remove it for you.

All just because you wanted 6 by 9's in the rear.............

If you were unlikely to get a canary for any reason what-so-ever then you wouldn't be able to get it cleared until all of the above work was done.

Or even to sell you car buyers would knock your selling price down as they would have to fix the parcel shelf to get a roadworthy.

Yep, exactly. Most wreckers won't even sell you the parcel shelf unless you remove it as well, because it is such a bastard to do. I priced and researched all of this for a car that I had a deposit on a while ago, in which the muzza owner had butchered the parcel shelf for a free air sub and 7x10's.

Ahhh well, all for the best, otherwise I'd now be cruising Chapel in a fully hectik VL Turbo!
private9 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2007, 10:31 PM   #26
krisisdog
Banned

Heres what you do:

Buy a decent set of splits for the front. Run them off an amp (most likely a 4ch). Buy a half decent set of coaxials for the rear. Run them off the headunit. Buy a sub, at least 12". Run that off either a mono or the other 2 ch of the 4ch amp running your front speakers.

As for brands there is far more than whats stocked at Supercheap/Strathies.
Pioneer is normally superior to all Kenwood gear.
JBL and Blau have some reeeal budget gear, but also have some half decent stuff, but is normally over priced compared to Pioneer. Same with MTX.
And Sony..... lets not go there.

If you were able to have a listen to my car you would see what I mean. Its hard without being able to give auditory examples.
krisisdog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2007, 11:11 AM   #27
xrobx
Slammin'

Well at the moment I'm running 4 Clarion 6 inches off a 4 channel Response amp, and a 15" Sub off a 2 channel response.

www.bseries.com.au/xrobx