Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 19-07-2007, 11:04 PM   #1
jjj

Default K&N 9in Pod Filter Fitted in Airbox.

Well i had a look at the heat shield material at the shop but it looked gay, so i walked out of the store thinking i will try again to fit it in the airbox.

1)Anyway i just used a cut down piece of 45 degree alloy 3in pipe, attached it to the pod, removed the airbox 4 bolt adaptor.

2) Then I cut a square hole in the front of the airbox tray. Dropped the pod in ,secured the lid with the 5 airbox clips.

3) And then attach to factory piping with rubber sleeve.

The pod sits in the airbox quite well consider it's size. It easily has more than 1inch clearance around the entire pod as no sides are touching the airbox.

pics........

Last edited by jjj; 19-07-2007 at 11:11 PM.
jjj is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2007, 12:07 AM   #2
CaRtZ
Aspiring mr efxr

looks good mate. nice job! will have to consider this one very seriously

Standard = 99.6rwkw <!> 2.5" SuperCat cat back exhaust, Wade 1636 cam, K&N boxed pod (new dyno required
Sony headunit, splits, 6.5"s and 2 x 12" with response precision amp = 135.5 dB

Daily = Ae82 '85 corolla Fwd :togo: , 5 speed, 12" sub, 6x9's, green LED's

the course i am studying: http://www.wodonga.tafe.edu.au/01_courses/course.jsp?id=AUR30905NANA
CaRtZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2007, 12:32 AM   #3
jjj

I gave the car a bit of a strap tonight and the cold air from the snorkel does help a fair bit in throttle response and acceleration when compared to when the pod was exposed too engine bay heat. Ambient temp on the clim ctrl screen was 10degrees.

Here is a pic of the K&N pod compared to a standard size pod that you find at autobarn/supercheap for $30.
Old 20-07-2007, 09:21 AM   #4
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

Any more of this and I'll have to contact PETA
mcflux is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2007, 07:45 PM   #5
AUTickford
XD197

Those 30 buck aircleaners are good to flow roughly 300hp and i think they outclass most upper pricerange aircleaners,i saw a test done in a magazine.The one i put in my eb 6 made a noticeable difference cept i took out the bottom half of the airbox and riveted ally plate to the frame rail to keep out the hot air and left the top of the box to direct cool air onto the pod, it was connected to the standard intake pipe with 3 inch exh pipe.
AUTickford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2007, 09:16 PM   #6
jjj

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUTickford
Those 30 buck aircleaners are good to flow roughly 300hp and i think they outclass most upper pricerange aircleaners,i saw a test done in a magazine.The one i put in my eb 6 made a noticeable difference cept i took out the bottom half of the airbox and riveted ally plate to the frame rail to keep out the hot air and left the top of the box to direct cool air onto the pod, it was connected to the standard intake pipe with 3 inch exh pipe.
G&D performance use these large type conical K&N pod filters in there $600 intake kits. Dyno tested etc etc, so they are beneficial with other mods.
Old 21-07-2007, 02:20 AM   #7
AUTickford
XD197

All im saying is that the cheap pods do the same job and not to overlook them i didnt say they outflowed the k+n filter in question but it wouldnt surprise me if they did etc etc My setup cost 30 bucks and probably made around the same power.Twenty times cheaper is good enough for me :
Old 21-07-2007, 02:44 AM   #8
jjj

Quote:
All im saying is that the cheap pods do the same job and not to overlook them i didnt say they outflowed the k+n filter in question but it wouldnt surprise me if they did etc etc My setup cost 30 bucks and probably made around the same power.Twenty times cheaper is good enough for me :
Yeah no worries mate, but i found with the SAAS paper pod it would starve the engine of air after the BBM switched at 3800rpm. Could really notice it, the SAAS pod would make a huge induction roar but the car just accelerated worse than before with the K&N panel filter and AU XR8 snorkel.

Was really noticable on the highway when over taking 3 trailer road trains, normally overtake them at a starting speed of 90km/hr and by the time i get around them and move back into the lane, i am doing about 125-135km/hr. But i could feel the engine struggling up at the high revs.

Since fitting the big berther K&N pod and overtaking these trucks the car doesn't get starved of air under full throttle. I am getting a speed of about 150km/hr while passing them and merging back into the lane. .

The K&N pod was about $70 bucks from american autos, although Supercheap and autobarn wanted $160-$180.

Cheers..

Pacemaker 4499's
Megaflow 2.5in Cat
X-Force 2.5in Sports Exhaust
Champion STEEL igntion leads
K&N panel filter, EL GT Snorkel, modified airbox
16in Speedy Holotype-R mags on 225 tyres
Old 21-07-2007, 10:58 AM   #9
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

So your filter gave you a 25kph increase in overtaking speed? You do realise that's more than a 1-2rwkw increase that your pod is giving you
mcflux is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2007, 12:42 PM   #10
AUTickford
XD197

My cheapy filter was a tfi or sumthin like that,why did you have to get up to 125-150 overtaking isnt that a bit excessive?Most trucks should only be doing 100 and if they were speeding why did you have to overtake?
Old 21-07-2007, 03:27 PM   #11
FRDXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
You will find that many of the cheaper pods will be able to flow up to the same rate as the expensive pods, however they are far less effective in terms of filtering junk sucked into the intake.

I have seen tests, graphs etc proving this and even some expensive filters such as HKS have poor filtration. The Apexi pods were the best in terms of filtration and flow.
FRDXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post