Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 10-08-2007, 07:07 PM   #31
djjase
IT JUST GET'S BETTER

MLTUCKER - that XY paint is awesome - who painted it? what did you pay if you don't mind being asked. What was the factory color before u changed it?

Where are you at now with the rebuild - I love Wild Violet, I was going to do my XA in that color but decided to stay with the factory Yellow Fire
djjase is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2007, 07:12 PM   #32
GK351

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Best bet is dont then!

Does it even matter who and why? all we need to know is they ARE.

Are you farmiliar with the concept of promotion and advertising? that isnt a conflict of interest! all AMCS are doing is promoting their business to get the best price possible.. if people think prices are too high then they wont pay them, simple.

Not really sure what interest any of this has for you then... other than to bag prices and peoples buying and selling intentions.

Oh, and lets keep it decent please.. the "blokes name" comment is really a tasteless cheap shot too... how does his name have anything to do with the value of his car??

4vman,
I fish i vote. do you like fishing? I do. That is my opinion and the so called prices.

Conflict of intrest? ok no problem, who owns most of the cars on that site that are for sale in Sydney? do you even know? when you find out tell me
weather its conflict of intrest.

No i am unfamiliour with the concept of 'promotion and advertising'.
Can you fill me in, im just a plumber/truck driver that left school in year 10,
i wouldnt have a clue about it. Mabye i need a better education?

I know where i'd invest my money. and 680+k on a HO wouldnt be the like.

I think we have seen the best of the rocket prices, its time to see a bit of refluxation + realistic priceing.
GK351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2007, 07:16 PM   #33
djjase
IT JUST GET'S BETTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by GK5766
4vman,

I think we have seen the best of the rocket prices, its time to see a bit of refluxation + realistic priceing.
Your right, prices like $1 million dollars for a HO is outrageous, but people are paying and its simple economics - where there is a high demand and a low supply prices dictate.

These prices for GT's are just like Sydney housing, just about out of the reach of the normal person, sooner or later prices will come down.

I bet who ever pays $1 million for a XY GT HO will never get more because that is a very very select group of who can afford to buy a car just to have it parked in a garage.
Old 10-08-2007, 07:19 PM   #34
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
4vman,
I fish i vote. do you like fishing? I do. That is my opinion and the so called prices.

Conflict of intrest? ok no problem, who owns most of the cars on that site that are for sale in Sydney? do you even know? when you find out tell me
weather its conflict of intrest.

No i am unfamiliour with the concept of 'promotion and advertising'.
Can you fill me in, im just a plumber/truck driver that left school in year 10,
i wouldnt have a clue about it. Mabye i need a better education?

At the very least spell check wouldn't go astray...

In any event i don't see the great "conflict" conspiracy that you're painting the picture of here, its plainly obvious that they're trying to get the best dollar for the cars.. just like EVERY single person selling ANYTHING...
nobody is forced to pay unrealistic prices, everyone has a choice, if its too expensive don't buy it, simple as that, you can't control market forces...

Old 10-08-2007, 07:24 PM   #35
djjase
IT JUST GET'S BETTER

Quote:
nobody is forced to pay unrealistic prices, everyone has a choice, if its too expensive don't buy it, simple as that, you can't control market forces...
Spot on 4Vman - so many people go on about the prices, and everyone is allowed their opions, but not to the point of saying that it is wrong.

If someone wants to pay $50k for a 6cyl XY done up as a GT then good on them, its not a sin and nor should they be crucified for doing so.

If I had the money I would buy a real GT, i can't justify $200k on a car when I would like to buy a property with the big shed so I can buy the cars later and store them.
Old 10-08-2007, 07:35 PM   #36
GK351

Quote:

In any event i don't see the great "conflict" conspiracy that you're painting the picture of here, its plainly obvious that they're trying to get the best dollar for the cars.. just like EVERY single person selling ANYTHING...
As for spelling i did leave school in year 10 so please excuse.
Mabye you can tudor me? i wont be paying 'HO' prices though.

Who is controling market forces here? not john howard obvioulsy..
though AMCS has a great intrest and will do anything to sell, hype to the news, and all accociated media. Its bull$$%^, propergander, and i wont fall for it, i feel sorry for whoever does, and that's what i think of it like it or not.

Funny how (i wont mention any names) offered a freind of mine 65k for a genuine XYGT matching numbers and the like just last year. wonder what they wanted to do with it? sell it for triple the $$$ perhaps?

Sorry but todays prices wont sell with me, and yes i wont pay that amount for one, i have much more respect with more important things in my life to spend my money on.

Mabye when i win powerball, i'll buy a couple with my winnings.
or just go fishing who knows.
GK351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2007, 07:54 PM   #37
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
As for spelling i did leave school in year 10 so please excuse.
Mabye you can tudor me? i wont be paying 'HO' prices though.
Ok, Its "maybe" and "Tutor" for starters! lol

Quote:
Who is controling market forces here? not john howard obvioulsy..
though AMCS has a great intrest and will do anything to sell, hype to the news, and all accociated media. Its bull$$%^, propergander, and i wont fall for it, i feel sorry for whoever does, and that's what i think of it like it or not.

Funny how (i wont mention any names) offered a freind of mine 65k for a genuine XYGT matching numbers and the like just last year. wonder what they wanted to do with it? sell it for triple the $$$ perhaps?

Sorry but todays prices wont sell with me, and yes i wont pay that amount for one, i have much more respect with more important things in my life to spend my money on.

Mabye when i win powerball, i'll buy a couple with my winnings.
or just go fishing who knows.
There's no denying they have their game down pat, some of what they do is preying on those who aren't informed.. but that happens in every facit of life.
You cant protect everyone from themselves...

Old 10-08-2007, 08:13 PM   #38
XYLINC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by djjase
MLTUCKER - that XY paint is awesome - who painted it? what did you pay if you don't mind being asked. What was the factory color before u changed it?

Where are you at now with the rebuild - I love Wild Violet, I was going to do my XA in that color but decided to stay with the factory Yellow Fire
Mate, a new business called retro panel and paint in Mount Gambier SA are doing the job. Its not out of there yet as we are having some trouble with the blackouts so at the moment I'm not sure what the final job will be worth. I was given a guide as it is impossible to quote until youve seen what suprises lay underneath. If you force them into a quote they must allow foe the worst and in the end you may be worse off. As for the factory colour I think it was nugget gold. This car was originally going to be Yellow Glow but as the car will most likely go on the market after its finished I convinced them to go Wild Violet white trim. It may not be everyones cup of tea but it is bringing the highest $$$$ out there at the moment.

At present the drivetrain is waiting for the car to come out of the paint shop which I am hoping will be early next week if we can get the blackout problem sorted.

That replica you posted pics of, was that just on ebay?
XYLINC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2007, 09:49 PM   #39
smally289
growing up is optional

All this replica debate is good reading. To be a true replica, it should be as close as humanly possible to the real thing.
Personally I am building my car to my own taste and not to please someone else. There are some GT bits I like, and others I dont. Thats why my Fairmont will have some GT bits. If I was to build a replica GT for myself, then maybe some of the GT bits would be swapped, like that awful thin steering wheel!
smally289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2007, 03:59 PM   #40
mrgo40rd

when it comes to the crunch there is no such thing as a replica its just a xy or xw its just a base model if i got a xt 2007 and put all the gt parts on it would it be a replica or just a xt with gt parts.

Member of 'Falcon Tickford FPV Club of NSW'
www.ftf.org.au
Nolathane, Whiteline and Whiteline PLUS enhanced
car care products 1300 006 007 (keep it looking clean)
mrgo40rd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2007, 04:56 PM   #41
djjase
IT JUST GET'S BETTER

But so is a GT - its a base model with some extra parts and then a different number. They made the base model first then make other models from them.
So using your theory - all are base models with fairmont or gt parts.
REPLICA = Exact copy of original - replica rolex - bet you can't tell the difference between a replica rolex and a real rolex?
Old 11-08-2007, 06:28 PM   #42
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Quote:
But so is a GT - its a base model with some extra parts and then a different number . They made the base model first then make other models from them.
So using your theory - all are base models with fairmont or gt parts.
The number may be the only difference, but it could mean $500,000 more on the price.

Quote:
REPLICA = Exact copy of original - replica rolex - bet you can't tell the difference between a replica rolex and a real rolex?
A buyer paying top $ certainly would.

Last edited by Falcon Coupe; 11-08-2007 at 06:39 PM.
Falcon Coupe is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2007, 06:48 PM   #43
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

Why all the interest in what others think anyway?
If you like a car and think its a good price buy it.
Not looking to cash in on some rustbucket you have found by any chance???
nugget378 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2007, 08:57 PM   #44
Falchoon

Interesting thread! I have a bit of soft spot for XYs - look-alikes, replicas and real GTs and HOs alike. They all have their place in society I reckon. I used to have an XY GT look-alike in Yellow Glow. It wasn't a replica, it had some custom touches that I thought were good, but many here would crucify me for them! It had the GT stripes and bonnet/boot blackouts, but in gloss Black!

The car evolved over time (think I owned it about 10 years) and at one stage had lowered suspension with 8" and 10" twelve slotters and a drop tank. Motor was a mild 351C 2V with Toploader and 9" LSD.

Later on I removed the drop tank and replaced the slotters with B45 Simmons.I always wanted a blower but could never get the money together for one and ended up selling the car, using the money as a deposit on a house. I built the car to my taste, not for anyone else.

Now days original seems better (more valuable/desirable) a lot of the time rather than a "done up" car (like mine). Back in the 80s the first thing you do is throw away those skinny 6" twelve/five slotters and stuff the widest wheels and rubber underneath it that you can find. Now if the car is a look-alike or replica this formula (original/stock look) seems to ring true.

If I won Lotto I would like to do another XY GT look-alike (not replica...), but (IMO) an improved one. Motor would be a supercharged (polished 6-71 Weiand of course!) 351C backed up by T56 six speed manual and somehow engineer a BA/BF diff setup into it (with upgraded CVs)and also BA/BF front suspension or maybe just one of those RRS front ends. I would like a BA or BF XR or FPV interior inc seats and instruments and dual climate control Premium ICC (not the dash pod guages though). Maybe retrim the seats in the original basket weave vinyl for original look. Not sure about wheels, maybe some tasteful non " bro" shadow chrome or black/charcoal 18s or 19s.

Colour is a tough one. I've already had Yellow Glow, really liked it (would of bought a Rapid BA XR6T had they been avialble at the time) but should I try something different maybe. Vermillion Fire is a classic XY GT colour, then again so is Wild Violet (nearly bought Phantom XR6T). Probably go for the Vermilion Fire as it would be a bit easier to keep clean and not show scratches as much.

Not knocking replicas they are very nice too but as I said previously the car is for me and not worried about resale.

Even if I had the money I don't think I would buy an original XY GT or HO as for the money they are worth I would be too scared to drive for fear of damaging it. And to have a classic car like that and not drive it would be such a waste.

$50K for a replica is quite a lot of money, it would have to be very, very special and extremely well done in pretty much as new or show car condition. That is just my view on it, if someone else has the money and wants to pay more then good luck to them. That is their choice and I hope they get what they are after and enjoy every minute of ownership.

Sorry for the long winded reply!
Falchoon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2007, 04:48 PM   #45
djjase
IT JUST GET'S BETTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by nugget378
Why all the interest in what others think anyway?
If you like a car and think its a good price buy it.
Not looking to cash in on some rustbucket you have found by any chance???
Not so Nugget378, I just brought a XY lookalike, replica what ever you want to call it and I intend to keep it unless someone did offer me $50k for it.

I think most people have missed the boat - my question wasn't about are they worth it or would people buy one etc.

My question was - What things would you base your decision on when buying a replica or look-a-like.

Like does Color come into play? if so what color? if you had 3 to choose from 1 x red, 1 x white, 1 x purple - which would you choose if all cars been equal.

Does it have to be a 351 / Top Loader / 9" Setup or 351 / C4 / 9"?

Are GT bits and pieces important - mirrors, petrol cap, trim, dash, steering wheel, shaker,front and rear spoliers, over riders etc - ie more the better or would you buy a car if it didnt have dash or steering wheel?

Originallity - does it matter the car was a 6cyl column auto saddle interior white but now is a 351 top loader, black, tru-blue in color?

These were the things I was trying to find out - what makes up your mind if you were looking for a xy gt replica or look-a-like?
Old 12-08-2007, 05:27 PM   #46
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

To me it does'nt matter what it is, if you like it and can live with it then buy it.
I have been looking for an XAGT coupe,but will only buy one that I like.
I have already passed up two,both lime glaze (the colour I want)
one because it didn have the original engine and he tried to pass it off as original,till I caught him out,and the other because it had parchment trim and was a twin tag auto/2v.
I will only spend the $$ on something I really want,
Lime glaze,4V,big tag...
nugget378 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post