Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 03-08-2009, 04:02 PM   #1
TX3VIL

Default From AU1 fairmont ghia dash to AU2 XR dash

Is the pins on the back of the fairmont dash the same as the XR's or are they still the same as the forte's etc..? I have a blue xr dash i want to swap with my fairmont dash but reading the posts it looks harder than i initially thought. I cant see that anyone has fitted the XR dash to an AU1 fairmont so not really sure. i guess i could just pull the dash out and have a look, but thought i'd ask the question first. Thanks

TX3VIL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2009, 04:46 PM   #2
NC1183
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Going from AU1 to AU2&3 is heaps hard then swapping between same series. In your case i would just pull the blue back ground off the XR cluster and put it on the fairmont cluster,

2005 FPV BF Super Pursuit

The new toy (now sold)
The SP

The old ute (sold)
www.aufalcon.com/nc1183

Build Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by F6T
If you look closely you can see the remains of a Hyundai excel that’s been sucked into the intake.
about the pic of 'CHOP YA' F6
NC1183 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2009, 04:54 PM   #3
TX3VIL

I just plugged it in and it seems to work fine. The pins at the back look the same. There is a problem with the oil pressure switch or something tho and my trip computer doesn't seem to show my fuel quantity anymore either. If i were to just swap between the 2 dash panels, how would i be able to make my fairmont dash read true to the 240km increments? Hardly seems worth swapping just the panels when i'd need to get the dash calibrated eventually enyway. Also i prefer the needles and the lcd from the later model dash, otherwise i probably would have bought just a fascia panel.
Old 03-08-2009, 04:56 PM   #4
KR1STO
Just another mock-up..

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC1183
Going from AU1 to AU2&3 is heaps hard then swapping between same series. In your case i would just pull the blue back ground off the XR cluster and put it on the fairmont cluster,
If he does that his speedo will be out by about17% AT 100KM
the fairmont reads to 220 and the xr to 240... the segments between the speeds are a different size..

see my car here:
Built my own TL50!!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
KR1STO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2009, 04:59 PM   #5
KR1STO
Just another mock-up..

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX3VIL
I just plugged it in and it seems to work fine. The pins at the back look the same. There is a problem with the oil pressure switch or something tho and my trip computer doesn't seem to show my fuel quantity anymore either. If i were to just swap between the 2 dash panels, how would i be able to make my fairmont dash read true to the 240km increments? Hardly seems worth swapping just the panels when i'd need to get the dash calibrated eventually enyway. Also i prefer the needles and the lcd from the later model dash, otherwise i probably would have bought just a fascia panel.
had exactly the same problem mate.. also the interior light didn't work when the drivers door was open.. ended up giving up... way too annoying..

see my car here:
Built my own TL50!!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 03-08-2009, 05:01 PM   #6
NC1183
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by KR1STO
If he does that his speedo will be out by about17% AT 100KM
the fairmont reads to 220 and the xr to 240... the segments between the speeds are a different size..

I thought the fairmonts got the same cluster as the xr just with the black background and no Tickford wings

2005 FPV BF Super Pursuit

The new toy (now sold)
The SP

The old ute (sold)
www.aufalcon.com/nc1183

Build Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by F6T
If you look closely you can see the remains of a Hyundai excel that’s been sucked into the intake.
about the pic of 'CHOP YA' F6
NC1183 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2009, 05:06 PM   #7
KR1STO
Just another mock-up..

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC1183
I thought the fairmonts got the same cluster as the xr just with the black background and no Tickford wings
nup.. same as the fairlane.. only read to 220..

see my car here:
Built my own TL50!!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 03-08-2009, 05:06 PM   #8
TX3VIL

It's basically the same except they dont read 240km/h on the speedo, also mine is an AU1, not sure bout the later AU2/AU3 dashes, but i think mine has a differant lcd and needles too. Other than that, they look very similar, that's why i figured it wouldn't be too hard of a change over. KR1STO, i'm determined to fit this dash now that i have it so i'll let u know how i go about fixing those problems i told u about. Cheers for the feedback.
Old 03-08-2009, 05:08 PM   #9
KR1STO
Just another mock-up..

no probs mate... plz do pm me if you figure it out... i've got series 2 T-series dash and climate control that i want to fit.. as the series 2 isn't that horrible orange..
cheers

see my car here:
Built my own TL50!!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 03-08-2009, 05:13 PM   #10
TX3VIL

lol might need to chase up a s2 climate control next.
Old 04-08-2009, 04:22 AM   #11
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

There's a list on fordmods as to what the pinouts are on each series and the different clusters - your best bet would be to chase that up and do a comparison.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post