Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 24-12-2010, 01:00 AM   #1
mitch

Default Simple Simons new ad

Has anyone seen the full page holden ad in Dec-Jan AutoAction. I dont normally buy AA but when i flicked through it, it had a fair bit of Jim Beam action so i grabbed it.

Ford won the championship, but looking at this ad you would think that holden really did dominate and crush this year

Anyway my point, where the f##k is Ford marketing? Are they on a different planet? Yeah ive heard all the win on sunday sell on monday arguments for and against. But surely a number 1 on a DJR/JBR Falcon in Falcons 50th birthday deserves shouting from the roof dos'nt it.

Truly i love you Ford, but can you start telling people how proud you are of your product, even if it is only a v8 phonycar. (holden do it)

And sorry everyone my scanner is not big enough to scan the ad

Mods please move if need to

mitch is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2010, 10:36 AM   #2
nstg8a

lol, here we go again...
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2010, 12:37 PM   #3
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

The interesting thing about advertising - is that it is usually done to achieve something....

Sales, PR, Etc.... But because of the huge costs of doing it 'properly' there needs to be a valuable outcome from the advertising...

So why would Ford spend money on a Full Page ad in a car racing mag?
Would you buy a Falcon now that they've won 2 championships in a row??
Would you buy a Holden because they've done the full page brag ad??

From reading your OP - your mind is already set anyways... so personally I think Ford saved there money...

Bit like the constant call for a 40th anniversary GT-HO...
Everyone wants to see one.... but will 'YOU' put your hand in your pocket for $100,000 to buy one??

No? I thought so.
Old 24-12-2010, 02:12 PM   #4
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch
Has anyone seen the full page holden ad in Dec-Jan AutoAction. I dont normally buy AA but when i flicked through it, it had a fair bit of Jim Beam action so i grabbed it.

Ford won the championship, but looking at this ad you would think that holden really did dominate and crush this year

Anyway my point, where the f##k is Ford marketing? Are they on a different planet? Yeah ive heard all the win on sunday sell on monday arguments for and against. But surely a number 1 on a DJR/JBR Falcon in Falcons 50th birthday deserves shouting from the roof dos'nt it.

Truly i love you Ford, but can you start telling people how proud you are of your product, even if it is only a v8 phonycar. (holden do it)

And sorry everyone my scanner is not big enough to scan the ad

Mods please move if need to
Ford HQ would be aware that those things that race under the banner of "V8 Supercars" are so far removed from a "real" car it is not funny. So Ford probably can't see the benefit of promoting a non-genuine play-thing.
Trevor 57 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2010, 03:44 PM   #5
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a
lol, here we go again...
Gotta love these thread, people aren't happy because they can't go crowing about something that most of Australia's population couldn't give a toss about.
Old 24-12-2010, 03:47 PM   #6
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
. . . . people aren't happy because they can't go crowing about something that most of Australia's population couldn't give a toss about.
I agree with that comment 100%, well done
Old 24-12-2010, 03:47 PM   #7
kenz
BOSS Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by loftie
Would you buy a Falcon now that they've won 2 championships in a row??
3 actually :P

Blue SY Territory Ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT600
No matter how good the F6 is (and it is damn good), its missing two cylinders.
kenz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2010, 08:00 PM   #8
mitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
Gotta love these thread, people aren't happy because they can't go crowing about something that most of Australia's population couldn't give a toss about.

Yeah ok lads point taken. But curiously even though I know that the closest thing to a v8sc and my BF is only the badge on the front and maybe the ford racing sticker in the engine bay, v8scs was one of the big reasons that i went hunting for a BF Falcon, they still looked like their road going cousins on the track , and i loved the look of them so much that it persuaded me back to a Ford for the first time since my 302 xd Falcon ute. You dont want to know what i drove previously

So maybe im the only one here stupid enough to put my money where my mouth is, and i may not have got my point across very well , but how many commodores do you think holden may have sold because they seem to advertise everything they acheive.

Yeah i have heard people saying holden dont make money and Ford do at the moment, but i know 3 young fellas who's fathers are one eyed Ford fans that just went out and purchased 2 ve sedans and one VE ute because "there are so many around, and we see so much proactive advertising so they must be better than Fords". Sell enough and you will start to make a profit sooner or later - 3 more commodores = 3 less Falcons doesnt it

Also the ad i saw was flogging Craig Lowndes safari win in a colorado(you cant tell me there better than a ranger), and v8 ute racing. holden were not just flogging v8scs. Thats my point they talk up All their product All the time

about the rant.
Old 25-12-2010, 11:41 AM   #9
04redxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Would you buy a new Ford if they had a full page ad?
04redxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-12-2010, 12:45 PM   #10
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So why advertise at all.

Most people at my work had no idea that a new supercharged GT Falcon is out, and to be honest without this forum I still would not know about it, so much for Ford/FPV advertising.

At the same time people at my work have bought several new Holden/HSV products recently, when I pointed out that its a nice car, but did they test drive or check out the new supercharged GT they replied what supercharged GT.

Most of these buyers are not one eyed supporters of the read team, they simply bought what they saw advertised and what they saw other people buy, may be if they had seen advertising for Ford, they would have gotten into a supercharged GT instead of that Clubsport, or at least taken one for a test drive.

I think Ford is great at missing the mark when it comes to marketing, they have lost whole generations of car buyers with their lack of promoting their products, to the point where Fords are seen as old man's cars and family busses not performance vehicles.
XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-12-2010, 02:01 PM   #11
mitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04redxr8
Would you buy a new Ford if they had a full page ad?
No. Because personally my mind i now made up

But if i didnt know a Ford from a toyota to a holden or a kia and i did see a full page ad from Ford telling me that a Ford Falcon(tongue in cheek) had just won Australias premiere motorsport championship, the third most popular sporting code in the land, then it may just get some people to at least have a look inside a Ford dealers showroom(bugger this could get off topic)

In 2011 i will be getting a FG Falcon i just cannot decide yet between turbo charged or supercharged, Fortunately i have the choice of car but the missus has the choice of model. I want an Aussie built car and i have driven my brothers vz ss(which he is trying to get rid of) and i was not impressed, but my mates FG G6E is fricken awesome(except for the cashmers interior)

And like XB GS 351 COUPE mentioned there is a certain s/c gt to consider, that if it wasnt for these forums or a couple of small photos in motorsport mags, i doubt anyone would know it existed. Isnt THAT what advertising is supposed to do????
Old 26-12-2010, 10:43 AM   #12
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Please remember that 70 to 80% of new car sales are to fleet owners, and they couldn't give a fat rats **** about V8Supercircus.
Old 26-12-2010, 10:56 AM   #13
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XB GS 351 Coupe
So why advertise at all.

Most people at my work had no idea that a new supercharged GT Falcon is out, and to be honest without this forum I still would not know about it, so much for Ford/FPV advertising.

At the same time people at my work have bought several new Holden/HSV products recently, when I pointed out that its a nice car, but did they test drive or check out the new supercharged GT they replied what supercharged GT.

Most of these buyers are not one eyed supporters of the read team, they simply bought what they saw advertised and what they saw other people buy, may be if they had seen advertising for Ford, they would have gotten into a supercharged GT instead of that Clubsport, or at least taken one for a test drive.

I think Ford is great at missing the mark when it comes to marketing, they have lost whole generations of car buyers with their lack of promoting their products, to the point where Fords are seen as old man's cars and family busses not performance vehicles.
Most people have NFI about cars full stop. They'll buy by price, looks or badge.

I agree that Ford can miss the mark in their advertising but they need to be smart and be able to get a return on their investment and not advertise to the Ford fans that would go out and buy a new Ford...because its a Ford. That's a waste of a limited resource.
Old 26-12-2010, 11:22 AM   #14
Scott

I agree with the OP. Ford marketting is terrible, has been for years and I guess if they don't respond to their recent kick up the backside from HO, they'll all be looking for jobs in some other "low key" & subtle market.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2010, 12:12 PM   #15
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:

Yeah ok lads point taken. But curiously even though I know that the closest thing to a v8sc and my BF is only the badge on the front and maybe the ford racing sticker in the engine bay, v8scs was one of the big reasons that i went hunting for a BF Falcon, they still looked like their road going cousins on the track , and i loved the look of them so much that it persuaded me back to a Ford for the first time since my 302 xd Falcon ute. You dont want to know what i drove previously
Did you buy your BF new?

The reason I ask is if you are a new V8 buyer, you are now a unique customer
as many of your peers have moved on to either FPV or other vehicles completely.
The majority of V8 Ford buyers now exist in the second hand market and unfortunately,
Ford can't hear those people because they don't support the case for a new XR8 one iota.

Last edited by jpd80; 26-12-2010 at 12:21 PM.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2010, 01:36 PM   #16
mitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
Did you buy your BF new?
Yes and no, it was a demo and someone helped me out on the price

I realise i will have to look to FPV, if i (sorry if wife decides v8) But hopefully when i am in the position to throw my hard earned down Ford may have released FGII and the XR8 will be back in the stable, 307 to 315kw coyote engine in a Ford proper would keep me more than happy.

But dont forget 6cylT or v8 im not engine bias, all i know is it will be FG
Old 26-12-2010, 02:26 PM   #17
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Yes and no, it was a demo and someone helped me out on the price

I realise i will have to look to FPV, if i (sorry if wife decides v8) But hopefully when i am in the position to throw my hard earned down Ford may have released FGII and the XR8 will be back in the stable, 307 to 315kw coyote engine in a Ford proper would keep me more than happy.

But dont forget 6cylT or v8 im not engine bias, all i know is it will be FG
Thumbs up mate, I consider you a new car buyer demo or not
It's good to know that you'd be happy with either XR8 or XR6T as we're not sure what
Ford has planned with XR8, it could be as simple as trickle down of the 315Kw GS engine
while the FPVs get updated engines or it could be a simple crate 300Kw 6.2 Boss engine.

Fingers crossed either way......
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2010, 04:05 PM   #18
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by XB GS 351 Coupe
Speaking generally, the only people I know that know FPV has a supercharged GT are the people I have told.

FPR (or SBR or DJR) sell FPVs, FPVs sell Fords and Fords sell everything. No one should underestimate the value of using your best assets and successes to sell "the vibe".
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2010, 04:59 PM   #19
Cabbage
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott
Speaking generally, the only people I know that know FPV has a supercharged GT are the people I have told.

FPR (or SBR or DJR) sell FPVs, FPVs sell Fords and Fords sell everything. No one should underestimate the value of using your best assets and successes to sell "the vibe".

I agree, its all about brand awareness and people associating positive things when they see the Ford emblem. That way when people go to buy a new car they might just think Ford first instead of Holden. If advertising wasn't worth the effort why do Holden push it so hard. Is it a coincidence that they sell more cars than Ford and their marketing is more promient. I don't think so. People on these forums bemoan people blindly buying Holdens when Ford has better products and if you can't see the part advertising plays in this then your not looking very hard. You have to build brand loyalty, advertising is part of this as is telling everyone that one of your cars is the best supercar in Australia.
Cabbage is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2010, 05:15 PM   #20
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

If there no follow up in some advertising ??
Then why would they bother to put the sponsorship money in-in the first place ??..
I guess it was a JDR team not FRT that won the championship...
With the advertising they already are doing ..
They could easy add a few words about the championship...
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2010, 12:46 AM   #21
FgNewbie
Australia

Holden's marketing must be good I considered buying one.
Very scarey experience so I changed medication

It's all about marketing.
I bought a new G6 limited edition a few days after seeing an ad.
I wasn't looking for a new car at the time so the marketing worked well.

If not for AFF, I wouldn't know about the new FPVs.
FgNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post