Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 22-06-2013, 06:37 PM   #211
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Default Re: Holden to make major announcement to staff today

must be time to kick Toyota,, slow news.
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2013, 06:41 PM   #212
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

http://www.news.com.au/business/comp...-1226667857279
Maybe Toyota should move to Afghanistan ;-)
Old 22-06-2013, 09:17 PM   #213
Buntz
Straight Eight

How are we letting this happen? This is a slow train wreck, and no one is trying to stop it! Why is no one trying to stop it?
Old 22-06-2013, 09:55 PM   #214
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
I have noticed a tone of resentment seeping into your posts, don't crucify Holden employees because Ford have signed off.
I'm all for Holden employees and I wish them well, I just loath Holdens/GM's sleazy business ethics, and that has always been the case with me. They have no shame.

If they are so concerned about losing money then why are they burning so much cash on car racing. At least Ford cut back non-essential funding when they had too, as much as we all hated it it was the proper thing to do. Holden just seem to throw more and more cash at racing and other non-essential stuff and then expect employees to take a pay cut.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2013, 10:07 PM   #215
sideshow10

in the end the car making industry is gone in Australia
wages are too high so the companies just move to india or some 50c and hour country heheh
now that ford have announced they are shutting down the other manufacturers will slowly announce that they will too so it wont seem as bad
why the hell would u buy an aussie car
they are poorly made and high priced and expensive
the japs have been ontop for many years now and when u look at all the problems cars start having after afew years ford and holden and euru and usa cars normally top the list
its funny how 90% of car buyers buy a car on its colour and looks but never on its maintanace and parts costs and how the car wears and tears over afew years

people dont know that some jeeps are made in mexico and when u have worked on some of them u realise why
also the new great wall cars have very poor warranty because if u read the fine print
not much is covered on warranty and ive heard some great wall utes need timing belt
done at 40000 kms and if u go 1km over 40000 and u have not done a belt and it snaps
u can kiss your warranty away
its a pity there is no book you can buy written by people who actually diagnose cars day in and day out because this is what u need to read before u buy a car
sideshow10 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2013, 10:19 PM   #216
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by sideshow10 View Post
why the hell would u buy an aussie car
they are poorly made and high priced and expensive
their goes all your credibility. driven one lately?
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2013, 10:26 PM   #217
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sideshow10 View Post
i
its a pity there is no book you can buy written by people who actually diagnose cars day in and day out because this is what u need to read before u buy a car
Don't need a book to tell me, my mechanic opinions is good enough for me.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2013, 10:26 PM   #218
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Sounds like one of those clowns our country is full of, people that make assumptions based on nothing.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2013, 11:49 PM   #219
stevz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buntz View Post
How are we letting this happen? This is a slow train wreck, and no one is trying to stop it! Why is no one trying to stop it?
It's sad really... I used to be so proud of this nation, but the way things are going, I am beginning to despise it. Our politicians don't care, they are only puppets who are in it for themselves and spend the majority of their time bickering over irrelevant nonsense rather than concentrating on running the country.
It's not just the auto industry that's suffering though. I was watching something on tv the other night about Aussie farmers going to the wall while we are flooded with produce imported from China. I wonder how many people know that Chinese farmers irrigate their crops with raw sewage? So we are getting screwed over while we are eating their crap...literally.

Our future is looking bleak and it's getting worse by the day. I just hope Australia wakes up and starts taking action to stop this rot before it's all too late.
stevz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2013, 11:55 PM   #220
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevz View Post
Toyota investigating ceasing manufacturing in Australia. ...

http://news.com.au/business/companie...-1226667706075
I saw that, no doubt about it toyo is feeling the pinch too, and the second last sentence in the passage, a bit of praise for the terri from opposition, good stuff.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 23-06-2013, 12:25 AM   #221
stevz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik View Post
I saw that, no doubt about it toyo is feeling the pinch too, and the second last sentence in the passage, a bit of praise for the terri from opposition, good stuff.
I found it somewhat surprising, as Toyota have opened a new engine plant and are looking at adding a third vehicle to their line, so if they are prepared to scrap all of this then things must really be looking grim. Then again, it is a J Dowling article....
stevz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2013, 12:31 AM   #222
Pepscobra
Call me dirt... Joe Dirt

Quote:
I found it somewhat surprising, as Toyota have opened a new engine plant and are looking at adding a third vehicle to their line, so if they are prepared to scrap all of this then things must really be looking grim. Then again, it is a J Dowling article....
No doubt Toyota are playing the same game as Holden and generating a bit of anxiety on the back of the Ford announcement. Now is the perfect time for the remaining local manufacturers to secure funding/their future while sentiment is strong. Leading into an election doesn't hurt either.
2007 BFII FPV Cobra Ute|Boss 302|6M|#23/100
Mods so far:
Billet Products Shifter|X-Force Exhaust|Herrod Oil Breathers|Whiteline Sway Bar|Tein SuperStreets|Kings FOR-303SL Rear Springs|Melling Oil Pump|Mace Manifold Spacers|Powerbond Underdrives|Pacemaker Headers|Ballistic Cats|XFT Custom Tune @ 308.3rwkw|DBA T3 Rotors|Ferodo Pads|Goodridge Braided Lines
Mods to come:
4.11 Diff Gears|Chromoly Tailshaft
I use & recommend:
Castrol|Motorcraft|Mainlube|Penrite

Check Out My Build Thread
Pepscobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2013, 11:30 AM   #223
prydey
Rob

Quote:
It's not just the auto industry that's suffering though. I was watching something on tv the other night about Aussie farmers going to the wall while we are flooded with produce imported from China. I wonder how many people know that Chinese farmers irrigate their crops with raw sewage? So we are getting screwed over while we are eating their crap...literally.
you would probably assume that woolies is selling us this cheaper offshore produce, but you'd be wrong. woolies is the largest buyer and seller of local produce in australia.

it may not be as 'fresh' as a local fruit n veg shop, but it is still locally grown. the issue is the farmers aren't getting paid a lot for it. a sale is better than no sale though.
Old 23-06-2013, 11:51 AM   #224
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i point blank refuse to eat chinese pears..
pottery beige is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 23-06-2013, 12:03 PM   #225
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
you would probably assume that woolies is selling us this cheaper offshore produce, but you'd be wrong. woolies is the largest buyer and seller of local produce in australia.
Correct.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2013, 12:20 PM   #226
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Quote:
their goes all your credibility. driven one lately?
He does have a point. They are expensive compared to what is around and they have average build quality.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2013, 01:04 PM   #227
fte50
T3FTE -099. OnTemp Loan

Quote:

it may not be as 'fresh' as a local fruit n veg shop, but it is still locally grown. the issue is the farmers aren't getting paid a lot for it. a sale is better than no sale though.
Get real...
Yep woollies sure are helping out the Oz farmer - paying them SFA for the product the farmer takes all the risk for and put all the effort in to, only to then see their product on shelf at seriously overinflated markup, and then told to meet revised markdowns the following season as they are competing with imported product.

And once the prices come to the point of farming not being viable, guess who will step in to purchase the farms at stupidly low revised prices ????

Sounds more like an episode of Sopranos to me.

Warning - This users posts are classified (G).

G (General) – Contains material intended for general viewing. The content is very mild in impact.
IT IS STRONGLY ADVISED SENSITIVE ADULTS VIEW IN THE COMPANY OF CHILDREN
fte50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 23-06-2013, 01:18 PM   #228
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
for how much longer? the push for home brand items comes at the expense of the branded product, from which the manufacturer makes a profit that makes the entire business worthwhile. the home brand equivalent is usually produced at almost no profit simply to help spread the cost of manufacturing overheads. at some point woolies drop the name brand, and the remaining home-brand-only operation becomes unviable. At which point woollies will source it overseas.

I cant understand how its not anti-competitive for the owner of the supermarket to sell their own products... or why, like in media, we don't have a quota for locally-produced content. the principle could be applied to supermarket shelves, to the fleets all levels of government buy, etc etc.
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2013, 01:35 PM   #229
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Woolworths is a disgrace, they replaced their long standing purchase of Australian made Holdens and Fords for the last 50 years to buy German built Volkswagens, they bought a 1000 VWs last year alone.

They complain that Australians shouldn't shop at Aldi as it is a German company, but then they go and buy 1000 German cars instead of Australian made.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 23-06-2013, 01:41 PM   #230
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Is there any way you can buy direct from a farmer rather than heading into the local super market? The quality of their fruit is pretty average anyways, we usually get all our stuff from the Preston market, no idea how much better it is if at all, if they use locally grown produce.

Any farmers sell their produce online and ship it out to us?
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2013, 01:59 PM   #231
Bill M
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
Sounds like one of those clowns our country is full of, people that make assumptions based on nothing.
Yes and unfortunately nearly every one of them has keyboard and a number of them post here. One of the drawbacks of the internet is giving voice to clown opinions.
Bill.
Old 23-06-2013, 02:04 PM   #232
buggerlugs
Donating Member1

http://www.news.com.au/national-news...-1226668091112
If it's good enough for the workers to take a pay cut, it's good enough for the boss as well..................
Old 23-06-2013, 02:07 PM   #233
Bill M
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not a J Dowling article!

Holden boss Mike Deveraux warns of pay cuts and job losses to help company survive...
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-06-2...losses/4774240

Interesting comments on tariff levels in other countries and Ford winding down manufacturing operations in 2016.
Old 23-06-2013, 02:45 PM   #234
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen View Post
Woolworths is a disgrace, they replaced their long standing purchase of Australian made Holdens and Fords for the last 50 years to buy German built Volkswagens, they bought a 1000 VWs last year alone.

They complain that Australians shouldn't shop at Aldi as it is a German company, but then they go and buy 1000 German cars instead of Australian made.
Might want to have a look at your facts first.

Also the company cars have been slashed compared to 2 years ago with most having to forgo company car and move to lease of a car of the managerw choice, as long as it it is somewhat economical.

VW and euro Ford's have been part of the fleet for a few years now. Some still have VW until the lifespan has been reached.
- Antz Turboside Intake
Old 23-06-2013, 02:47 PM   #235
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83 View Post
Might want to have a look at your facts first.

Also the company cars have been slashed compared to 2 years ago with most having to forgo company car and move to lease of a car of the managerw choice, as long as it it is somewhat economical.

VW and euro Ford's have been part of the fleet for a few years now.
They are the facts. They used to be Australian now they are Euro. When the change first happened in 2008 they bought 2900 VWs in that first year, been buying them since.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2013, 02:53 PM   #236
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen View Post
They are the facts. They used to be Australian now they are Euro. When the change first happened in 2008 they bought 2900 VWs in that first year, been buying them since.
No they aren't. Well yeah they did buy Golf/mondeo. And yes there were Commodores before that.
Every store manager if they havnt already will loose their car. And move to a car of their choice so the company doesn't have to commit to a certain amount from any one make.

Some regional guys have theirs still, but soon they will move to a lease type system same as store managers.
As I said there is still some Golf, Mondeo etc in the fleet.
Anyway this is a fair bit off topic.
- Antz Turboside Intake
Old 23-06-2013, 03:35 PM   #237
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by fte50 View Post
Get real...
Yep woollies sure are helping out the Oz farmer - paying them SFA for the product the farmer takes all the risk for and put all the effort in to, only to then see their product on shelf at seriously overinflated markup, and then told to meet revised markdowns the following season as they are competing with imported product.

And once the prices come to the point of farming not being viable, guess who will step in to purchase the farms at stupidly low revised prices ????

Sounds more like an episode of Sopranos to me.
the lack of comprehension on this site....

i was merely pointing out that you can still buy australian produce from your supermarket, not chinese grown.

i even mentioned the farmers were being screwed on price but i guess you glossed over that bit as you were too busy with your 'evil woolies' rant.

it is a tough world out there. how many parts suppliers have gone under due to car manufacturers sourcing parts from offshore?? woolies may not pay a lot, but at least they are still buying locally.
Old 23-06-2013, 03:42 PM   #238
turbo4me

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige View Post
i point blank refuse to eat chinese pears..
I point blank refuse to eat anything Chinese
4 users like this post:
Old 23-06-2013, 03:46 PM   #239
fte50
T3FTE -099. OnTemp Loan

Prydey, I understand what your saying, but the price they offer is both disgusting and immoral considering the price they then resell.
They have designed the scenario and now controlling the markets and the farmers.

Have you seen the distress caused to farming families working a whole year to grow a crop only to be offered less than its value.

Warning - This users posts are classified (G).

G (General) – Contains material intended for general viewing. The content is very mild in impact.
IT IS STRONGLY ADVISED SENSITIVE ADULTS VIEW IN THE COMPANY OF CHILDREN
fte50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 23-06-2013, 03:51 PM   #240
buggerlugs
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo4me View Post
I point blank refuse to eat anything Chinese
We had Chinese last night . Bloody beautiful, especially the sweet and sour pork
5 users like this post: