Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 08-02-2006, 08:38 PM   #31
LUXO_8
windsor user

thats a bit harsh dont ya think.....
not everyone wants a dead stock car....... he already has the car he wants otherwise he wouldnt have bought it....

i could have sold my NC and bought something newer thats stock, but i decided to build a 347 stroker, drop it more, get some better rims, do up the brakes etc...
like my car, i get a kick out of driving it..... a kick that just wouldnt be there in a dead stock AU forte.....
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2006, 08:41 PM   #32
Josh_XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADNC_8
thats a bit harsh dont ya think.....
not everyone wants a dead stock car....... he already has the car he wants otherwise he wouldnt have bought it....

i could have sold my NC and bought something newer thats stock, but i decided to build a 347 stroker, drop it more, get some better rims, do up the brakes etc...
like my car, i get a kick out of driving it..... a kick that just wouldnt be there in a dead stock AU forte.....

totally agree, the guy wants to keep his car and do it up, my advice is though to get an AU or EL engine in it, and do that up as u will have the same car shape u love the EA and the power of a done up AU or EL engine, cant go wrong man
Josh_XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2006, 09:00 PM   #33
rob_liss_lms10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

dont forget the shocks,lowered king springs with some koni adjustables or the like. Good on you for sticking to your guns,EA's are awesome cars,I love em as well.
Old 08-02-2006, 11:42 PM   #34
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Oh well, if ya really want an EA over an AU - go for it, but the AU already puts out more power than an EA 125kw for GL 3.9 157 for AU Forte? or find a 164kw EL XR6 with a 5 speed manual? But since forums are about opinions, that is mine on what i would do. in fact do it! go to a used car yard, go drive a manual EL XR6 in reasonable condition, and see what you would rather, a modified EA, or the EL XR6 - spending the same kind of money
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2006, 12:18 AM   #35
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

6 grand is only a drop in the ocean on ANY car.. You could spend 6k on just a fresh engine, clutch and LSD if you can't turn the spanners yourself. If you have your heart set on a loan (which is your call) spend it wisely.. Forget the bolts ons for starters and shoot for a reliable driveline that can actually cope with the extra strain of the above mentioned goodies.

What about the brakes? the exterior and interior? Wheels and tyres?.. 6k imho just is not worth going into debt over when you might be happy for a few months and then be wanting to throw more cash at it.

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2006, 10:34 AM   #36
xbgs351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecraft
6 grand is only a drop in the ocean on ANY car.. You could spend 6k on just a fresh engine, clutch and LSD if you can't turn the spanners yourself. If you have your heart set on a loan (which is your call) spend it wisely.. Forget the bolts ons for starters and shoot for a reliable driveline that can actually cope with the extra strain of the above mentioned goodies.

What about the brakes? the exterior and interior? Wheels and tyres?.. 6k imho just is not worth going into debt over when you might be happy for a few months and then be wanting to throw more cash at it.
Spot on. $6K don't go far.

Once again I would recomend against borrowing and take the slowly slowly aproach. You can still modify the car, but do it in dribs and drabs, so that it's not a financial strain. This is the approach that I took with my first car, being a HT Kingswood. Over the years it recieved a lot of modifications. It got a lot of attention to the suspension which was my priority. It also gained a 16:1 steering box, disc brakes, a 308, a Supra 5 speed, LSD, LPG, electronic ignition, the list goes on and on.
xbgs351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2006, 12:59 PM   #37
efgiar
rofl copter

i smashed my car... twice now :( but im still doing it up ИИИИ that if u just gonna thro it away after somthin doesnt go right or its not as good as the rest then dont live, do a /quit life! im now gonna put an xr front on my car. 6 grand.. u shouyld buy a EL ghia with ticky stuff thats been reemed up the ИИИИ for a couple, then strip it, eg seats all looms and ecu motor trans dif suspension etc, would be a nice riding ea :P

thats all
efgiar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2006, 01:42 PM   #38
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Default spend the 6 grand bro

i think the ea is a sweet idea
If u hang around all ur life uming and arring ul be old before u no it and regret not having the car u wanted when u where a young fella.I did exactly what u are doing bro, got the car i wanted(xh xr6 ute) then i got a loan to do the mods i wanted(ended up at Jim Mocks) I was over the moon with the work.

Got the full dev5 kit done straight away,had the car i wanted straight away and then paid of the loan pretty quickly.
Im crap at saving too but i can pay things off

Ring JMM an get ur work done under the hood, then ul have a sleeper of some sort :eclipsee_

By the way Foxtrot i live out at Brisbane(ipswich) an just got the dev5 kit sent up an installed by a good mechanic,there were no dramas
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2006, 01:47 PM   #39
foxtrot
Blood, sweat & tears

Oh nice, thanks dev5_ute your a legend

Cheers everyone who is not saying its a bad idea!
Momo Gear Knob
Schmick Pioneer Headunit w/ Dolphinvision :
4 Channel Kicker Amp to decent speakers;
Alpine Monoblock to Pioneer Subwoofer;
Tuned to perfect clarity-

Outside:

Pure Sexy Falcon w/18" BA XR8 Factory Option Mags
Clear Side Indicators

Coming soon:
Pedders lowered Sports Ryders all 'round
Extractors/Exhaust/Hi-Flo Cat
foxtrot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2006, 03:45 PM   #40
foxtrot
Blood, sweat & tears

just a thought

wouldn't the EA motor i already have be good with a DEV 5 kit?
Momo Gear Knob

Outside:

Clear Side Indicators

Coming soon:
Old 09-02-2006, 04:19 PM   #41
foxtrot
Blood, sweat & tears

I think i'd rather get the dev 3 high lift package for about 2500 .. how much do you reckon a mechanic would charge to install locally?

I think this would be best bang for buck and keeps my original motor hopefully leaving enough over for decent brakes etc
Momo Gear Knob

Outside:

Clear Side Indicators

Coming soon: