Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 27-06-2016, 12:08 PM   #31
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Goodbye :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange1 View Post
Yeah they are

We ended up looking at the CX5, Sportage, Tucson, Sorento, Santa Fe, Kuga, Outback and Outlanders. Knocked some of them off the list after a closer look and sit in, and the others after a test drive.

Bit the bullet and have an SZ MkII Diesel TS in the drive now, it just ticks all the boxes.

Still miss the old girl though (Especially the $40 LPG fill ups that made the running costs the same as our Fiesta!)
Glad to see you've chosen the right one before they go! In what ways didn't the others stack up against the Territory (not that I can't guess some of the reasons!)?

Also pleased that you weren't up against an a...hole like the bloke who rear ended my sister's car once, basically writing it off. He was all apologetic and admitting fault at the accident scene but, when it all came through the insurance later he had claimed that she had reversed into him! Some people are low-life.
Old 27-06-2016, 12:58 PM   #32
Strange1

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2ford View Post
Glad to see you've chosen the right one before they go! In what ways didn't the others stack up against the Territory (not that I can't guess some of the reasons!)?
We thought about a medium SUV instead of a large as we aren't taking prams or portacots and stuff around anymore (Kids are 6 and 8) so we looked at a few of those.

The CX5 was ok, but lacking rear seat air vents is a bit of a turn off, especially around Western Sydney where Summer is low 40's. Also they didn't really want to do any kind of price deal as they are selling well and we didn't feel like we were getting enough for the money.

With the Sportage and Tucson my wife sat in the back during test drives and hit her head on the side pillars due to the way the roof curves inwards. Both of our kids are tall for their age so we don't want to end up with that issue.

Sorento and Santa Fe ended up pretty pricey by the time you move away from absolute base model, they also felt pretty soft and wallowy compared to our old car.

We tried the Kuga not expecting much, but mainly because we have always had Fords and it would be silly not to see their offerings in the category. We didn't test drive it, just sat inside, didn't like all the little clip on plastic bits (many of which were already broken at the dealers) like the stupid rear trays and flappy bits in the cup holders. The seating position felt strange as well with the way the dash comes down.

Outback was much like the CX5, seemed pricey for what it was.

The Outlander we mostly liked, but there were too many things that would "do" or "could put up with". It was ok all around, but nothing was great.
The engine (Diesel only as we don't lie CVT's) felt fine, but was noisy inside, more like sitting in a ute.
The rear air vents are literally holes cut in the carpet under the front seats.
The dash was "ok", the seats were "ok"....

But we found a 2015 Terror for similar (Ended up being less) money and so here we are
Strange1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 28-06-2016, 11:20 AM   #33
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thats a write off ?? My 2007 Fieista, 3 door, was tboned in a carpark and it was repaired. They replaced the door skin, ..B Pillar, side panel back too and including tail lights.Repairs came to $4k.That was 3 years ago..times have changed...
Old 28-06-2016, 11:28 AM   #34
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I guess the difference was the Fiesta had little more than superficial dents whereas the Territiory had reasonable structural damage.A door skin and quarter panel replacement is very minor compared to bent chassis rails
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2016, 12:06 PM   #35
deluxe_

It is downright criminal act for the insurance company to swindle you out of agreed value policy like that... I would definitely take matters further if they don't compensate your agreed value sum, shouldn't leave matters in this in the loop.

Good to hear you've been unscathed in the whole ordeal. Cars are replaceable but lives aren't.
deluxe_ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 28-06-2016, 12:21 PM   #36
Strange1

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8 View Post
Thats a write off ?? My 2007 Fieista, 3 door, was tboned in a carpark and it was repaired. They replaced the door skin, ..B Pillar, side panel back too and including tail lights.Repairs came to $4k.That was 3 years ago..times have changed...
Its hard to see in the photos but if you look on the skin behind the rear door they have put a circle, and along the roof next to the rails there are a number of circles as well on both sides. These are creases where the whole body has warped.

Both rear doors also didn't like reclosing properly (The interior lights would stay on because it thought the doors were still open.

The front was also pushed into the rear of the car in front, and although it looked to have no damage on it all of the plastic zones behind it were crushed.
Old 28-06-2016, 02:34 PM   #37
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

It is normal for agreed value car motor comp policies to revert to market value after say 3 years. And I'm not talking about Collector/Vintage/Veteran polices where you would expect agreed value to persist for the life of the policy.

This may have been the case with the OP's situation here. The insurance companies supply you with extensive PDS and ask you to acknowledge that you understand for a reason.

Maybe this is a wake-up for others to check that they are insured for what they need.
FairmontGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2016, 03:02 PM   #38
Strange1

After just having a look on the Budget Direct site it looks like they would have scrapped our agreed value because we installed an LPG system on the car (and declared it).

Unfortunately companies only issue extensive PDS documents to hide their way out. There have been several recent court cases regarding EULA's for the exact same reason, they expect you not to read 8 pages of fine print and rely on the regulation of the industry. I'm not saying don't read a PDS or EULA, I'm just saying that virtually no one does and they have been fabricated to encourage that (Even to the point where EULA's will include a copy/paste of another companies EULA referring to products and services not even present in the software...)
Old 28-06-2016, 03:09 PM   #39
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Quote:
After just having a look on the Budget Direct site it looks like they would have scrapped our agreed value because we installed an LPG system on the car (and declared it).

Unfortunately companies only issue extensive PDS documents to hide their way out. There have been several recent court cases regarding EULA's for the exact same reason, they expect you not to read 8 pages of fine print and rely on the regulation of the industry. I'm not saying don't read a PDS or EULA, I'm just saying that virtually no one does and they have been fabricated to encourage that (Even to the point where EULA's will include a copy/paste of another companies EULA referring to products and services not even present in the software...)
That's not really a correct summation- hefty PDS are a direct result of APRA coercing insurance companies into full disclosure in, ironically, an attempt to protect the insured... you. If the insurers had their way you would only get the "wording" attachments on the policy statement like 20 years ago.
FairmontGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2016, 03:41 PM   #40
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Installing LPG, on a vehicle should not allow an Insurance company to scrap the agreed value. (provided its a legal and certified installation.)

Specifically on a Territory I would doubt LPG would reduce its Value.

but I'm sure you would have argued this.

I assume you are no longer with Budget Direct for the new car
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2016, 03:54 PM   #41
Strange1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevsta007 View Post
Installing LPG, on a vehicle should not allow an Insurance company to scrap the agreed value. (provided its a legal and certified installation.)

Specifically on a Territory I would doubt LPG would reduce its Value.

but I'm sure you would have argued this.

I assume you are no longer with Budget Direct for the new car
In the Budget Direct FAQ is says they can offer agreed if the car is less than 10 years old and doesn't have an aftermarket LPG installed.

So basically for us (This was 6 years ago) it would have been buy the car, insure it, get LPG installed, call up Budget and ask to add the LPG to the policy, they would have sent out a revised sheet and we would have paid it without noticing the removal of agreed and without specifically being informed (Otherwise we would have changed insurers at the time).

Anyway it's all done now (fingers crossed) waiting for a payment to come through at some stage to help cover some of the replacement car cost.

With AAMI for the new car (Along with our house and CTP's), once the current claim is completely finalised I'll change our Fiesta over to AAMI as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairmontGS
That's not really a correct summation- hefty PDS are a direct result of APRA coercing insurance companies into full disclosure in, ironically, an attempt to protect the insured... you. If the insurers had their way you would only get the "wording" attachments on the policy statement like 20 years ago.
Yeah good point, I guess that's part of the difference between a PDS and EULA. Still I don't think there is an insurance company out there that doesn't have a few loop holes for themselves
Old 28-06-2016, 04:02 PM   #42
Raptor
^^^^^^^^
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For quietly going about moderating in a fair and even manner. 

Most of my stuff is with AAMI (I don't know if that's good or bad)

They will try and jack up the premium and drop the insured value with each renewal as well. What I usually do is just ignore their renewal letter and go online for a new quote. Thus I am treated as a 'new' customer each year and usually save $100's for each policy and get a say in the insured value, exclusions etc.

Then a few weeks later an AAMI rep (or call centre) will ring me enquiring as to why I didn't renew my policy with them and I politely (or not depending on my mood) tell them that I have renewed a policy with them (and maybe they should check via my rego or VIN no. before calling me), but on my terms via their online portal, where I am treated preferentially

5 users like this post:
Old 30-06-2016, 02:23 AM   #43
Intacoola
Need New Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 383hq View Post
I'm sure insurance rates rely on australian apathy

"So, you want to charge me more this year, because the car has depreciated in value and is worth less?"
Righhhttt.

If you just pay your bill without challenging them, they will rip you.
I took this up with NRMA when reinsuring my BF XR6t.
As the car got older premiums actually increased as they lowered the agreed value.
They will tell you - it is more expensive to insure an older car.
Intacoola is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2016, 10:08 AM   #44
Strange1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intacoola View Post
They will tell you - it is more expensive to insure an older car.
They will tell you that it's more expensive to insure an older car, but they can't tell you why

I asked them the other day and they guys reason was "That's just the way it is, older cars cost more to insure" I told him that the policy they sent me was $1100, and a policy for a 2015 TS was only $700... he came back with "The newer model is harder to steal than the old one..."
I was expecting this and had gone to their website and received a quote for my old car, but not as a renewal, and it was only $650 if done online as a new customer. He didn't have an answer for that either.
3 users like this post:
Old 30-06-2016, 04:35 PM   #45
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My Captiva costs less to insure than my 2007 Fairmont Ghia, did. Reason ? parts cost and parts supply issues..According to AAMI..Fairmont was insured for $8k and the Captiva is insured for $40k...