Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 19-04-2016, 06:47 PM   #1
xr6-FTW
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Faded/sun damaged dash, what's the best way to approach it.

Had the bf xr for a few months now and I've begun to notice since the armour all has worn off from the dealership I got it from, it's begun to show its nastiness from the previous owner or owners most likely who gave absolutely no care what so ever which is the main reason I bought the car to give it some much needed love.

Anyway its on the list of things I'd love to fix hopefully sometime soon or one day and I was wondering what's the best way to fix it up to it looking new. Do I apply a contious application of armour all (don't like it nor have I used it), go wreckers an rip out a dash, or are there people around who can bring it back to it's glory?

Let's turn this into a discussion
xr6-FTW is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2016, 06:58 PM   #2
Mesa
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Default Re: Faded/sun damaged dash, what's the best way to approach it.

If practical replace the damaged item. In my experience products like Amor-all are temporary and in some instance have been known to cause more damage by drying the item out if not continually applied.
Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 19-04-2016, 08:05 PM   #3
Sabantien
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'd guess it depends on just how bad it is. If I was using product i'd probably go for something like Aerospace 303 or some Auto Glym. But really, I don't think anything will restore it, just slow further damage or mask it.
Sabantien is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 19-04-2016, 08:14 PM   #4
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

There are products that can help resort it, it depends on how far gone it is.

That's where some photos will always help get better answers.

If it's condition is beyond your help here's a link to The Dashboard Doctor.

http://dashboarddoctor.com.au//
Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2016, 09:30 PM   #5
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Dash mat
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 19-04-2016, 11:22 PM   #6
xr6-FTW
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not sure about a dash mat, not my style. I'll try upload a couple pics or so tomorrow to give you an idea of what mines like. My dads ba xr6 however the dash is immaculate, mines trash. Damn previous owner
Old 20-04-2016, 10:49 AM   #7
auxr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin View Post
Dash mat
Definately this one - plenty of good quality dash mats on offer these days - unless you stick to applying a good protectant or dash restorer product, the expense in restoring or replacing the dash IMO would be prohibitive.

Good luck
auxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2016, 12:10 PM   #8
crainger

I recently went back to a dash mat. Mostly to cut down on the glare and heat as I'm driving it daily again.

I was keeping mine it tip top shape with Meguairs interior spray with the low gloss finish. Great stuff, it is almost a matte finish and keeps everything looking factory new. Not that fake Armor All shine.

As for restoration, if you are comfortable removing the dash, and second hand one might be the ticket. Not a small job to get them out though. An excuse to do any ICC and Dual Zone upgrades though.
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2016, 12:36 PM   #9
xr6-FTW
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yer, how complicated would removing the whole dash be? Future upgrades may include swapping my already dual zone for a piano black one not to mention the cluster as well as its damaged with these marks as if something has ate into the plastic, looks crap, I haven't really looked but are there guides around the place?
Old 20-04-2016, 02:34 PM   #10
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crainger View Post
I recently went back to a dash mat. Mostly to cut down on the glare and heat as I'm driving it daily again.

I was keeping mine it tip top shape with Meguairs interior spray with the low gloss finish. Great stuff, it is almost a matte finish and keeps everything looking factory new. Not that fake Armor All shine.

As for restoration, if you are comfortable removing the dash, and second hand one might be the ticket. Not a small job to get them out though. An excuse to do any ICC and Dual Zone upgrades though.
I find the new look plastic armourall is ok not the original armourall that feels greasy & attracts dust.

As you said dash mat is the best protection & keeping glare down.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2016, 05:30 PM   #11
xr6-FTW
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Resurrecting an old thread here from earlier on the year but I'm curious for advice. For the past few months now ive been using meguairs dash and trim restorer for the most part and it has made a huge difference to how my dash looked. It was really discoloured badly with all these white marks all over etc, I believe it was caused by whoever owned the car wiping over it with metho spirits or something like that. Anyway since then every couple months I chuck on some more meguairs trim restorer which makes it look better but the one thing starting to really bother me know is the stupid reflection it causes driving when its sunny. You can see the dashboard reflection on the window which sucks, i'd have to say that this is the only drawback of using the product, the stupid shine it produces. I'm starting to think now am I better or trying to find something else to put on it or should I go to a wreckers and rip a dash out of a falcon lying around. I've been thinking of ripping out a dash but I don't want to go through all the effort for a dash swap to get one that will stuff up on me shortly after. I read about people going to trimmers to get it painted, only for a few months later for it to stuff up yet again.
Old 15-10-2016, 07:54 PM   #12
GCRXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

When new, the dash in these models reflected on the windscreen at certain times. I found a dash mat helped, but I could still see the mat at times also. I think the problem is more to do with the angle of the screen and dash. The FG was a bugger at times with the silver trim in the dash letting you know it was there also. I have kept those "protective" products from my last five vehicles and have never had a problem. I use a dampened cloth as per manufacturers advice. Sometimes I will use windex with good result.
Old 15-10-2016, 08:27 PM   #13
nstg8a

I like bowdens products, a real low sheen and they don't seem to attract dust as bad as a lot of other products.
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post