Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 15-05-2010, 09:24 PM   #1
Uncle_Ken
Next upgraded Mk1 Leopard
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always putting some imput into the forums to help or make it a bit easier for others Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Default What can I get for $3-4000 in an AU?

Hi Guys (and girls)
My son is ready to get his first car. What do you think I can get for $3-4000 in an AU? Needs to be an Auto, and in Sydney.

UK

How 2's: Change rear view mirror, Install backfire valve, Change foam front seats, Install auto transmission cooler, Replace Trans Shift Globe, Remove front door Trim, Paint AU headlights, install door spears, Premium Rear Parcel Shelf, go here...
Uncle_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2010, 09:27 PM   #2
frd906
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Probally a series 1 forte or futura, i think the fairmonts are a lil over 4 grand

Posted by Xcabbi, Does it slap or rattle? Rattle is more to do with timing chains and tensioners. Slap is more to do with lifters, rings, bearings or GENIII boat anchors
frd906 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2010, 10:33 PM   #3
cougermoon
Mr blue

i see a few AU III Forte's going for about that, UK id def go AU11 or higher. Im not sure what papers they have in sydney but here we have one called the quokka, and i could go through now and find 10-20 AU11's and 111 for about that even a few monts.

And if your really lucky ive seen a few not to shabby XR6's going for 5-6k. Gld to see your sticking with the AU's

Have a look on Carsales, trading post, Ebay and the paper to see whats out there.

You wont have any problem finding one for that price if its anything like it is here.

Good luck UK

Will

Engine Mods:| 4499's Pacies | 2.5" single muffler Redback Cat back | Hi-Flow Cat | Custom intake 3" | SS CAI snorkel | BM Hi-Flow Filter |

Visual Mods:| Clear side indicators | Tickford Wings | XR dash cluster | Black gear surround and shifter | Painted brakes | 18" BF XR8 mags | Black chrome tail lights

My Build
cougermoon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2010, 11:11 PM   #4
Kryton

For that price you can pretty much pick any AU you want (obviously not XR's or Fairlanes).
You could definitely get a Forte or Futura.
You might also be lucky enough to find a Fairmont or even a Ghia if you look around.

I had a 2000 AU series 1 Forte when it was just 1 year old and it was a great car even though it was a povo pack.
As mentioned though, definitely go the Series 2 or higher if you can.
The interior looks a little better, plus, any issues were sorted out by then anyway.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2010, 11:13 PM   #5
Halfmo Rocks
Bearded Hermit

http://www.carpoint.com.au
easy to find some good ones on here

this one looks nice, i know it's in brissie...but gives a good idea
http://www.carpoint.com.au/all-cars/...d=1238B07D13E7

Last edited by Halfmo Rocks; 15-05-2010 at 11:14 PM. Reason: drunken spelling disaster
Halfmo Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2010, 11:33 PM   #6
Uncle_Ken
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always putting some imput into the forums to help or make it a bit easier for others Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Thanks Guys
I know AUI's are in that range, some nice looking pre Farimonts as well (97's)
Are AUI's much worse than AUII's (apart from brakes of course)

UK
How 2's: Change rear view mirror, Install backfire valve, Change foam front seats, Install auto transmission cooler, Replace Trans Shift Globe, Remove front door Trim, Paint AU headlights, install door spears, Premium Rear Parcel Shelf, go here...
Old 15-05-2010, 11:39 PM   #7
Halfmo Rocks
Bearded Hermit

and ugly interior/grill/tail lights.

i've never owned an au1...i only judge on looks & reputation for brakes
Halfmo Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2010, 11:58 PM   #8
frd906
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i own a au 1, see build thread, in the 4 years ive owned, never been a problem really, just maintance witch was required due to the amount of kms, usual, bushes, gaskets etc, but i never had a problem with the engine or box really, been a really good car to me, atm its sitting wating for a gear box

Posted by Xcabbi, Does it slap or rattle? Rattle is more to do with timing chains and tensioners. Slap is more to do with lifters, rings, bearings or GENIII boat anchors
Old 16-05-2010, 12:00 AM   #9
nstg8a

Quote:
Originally Posted by frd906
but i never had a problem with the engine or box really, been a really good car to me, atm its sitting wating for a gear box
ahh, do you realise how contradictory that sounds?
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2010, 12:06 AM   #10
frd906
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

lol i decide to pull the motor and box out, as i got a good price for both, and i was getting the engine bay spray painted, but the engine turned out to be very good, but the box shat 3rd and 4th gear lmao so thats why its sitting atm, as i picked one up today to go in during the week

Old 16-05-2010, 12:10 AM   #11
Auturbo6
The only thing u'll see!!

I think a Au is too powerful for a young bloke. I think he'd be better off with a 1.5 mitsubishi mirage or something like that. I wanted a 350 powered HQ panelvan as my first car. Guess what my dad said to that.......... We found a 1976 Toyota Corrolla 1.2Litre and i can guarantee my sitting here today to the intellegence of that decision.
I was invincable to 25, not so sure now though.
Auturbo6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2010, 12:22 AM   #12
Kryton

I dont think this thread is about what you think someone elses kid should or shouldnt drive.
Once you have your own kids, you can ply your beliefs onto them.
Till then though..................
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2010, 12:39 AM   #13
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I've met UK.

He takes pride in his car, and in the way he drives.

He made his son drove from Sydney to Canberra and back without the cruise, to teach his son proper roadcraft. Not too many people would teach like that these days.

With a teacher/mentor as such, I reckon his head (UK's son) would be screwed on right.

In any case davway is correct. the thread's not really about what we think his son should own, but what AU he'd pick up in the 3-4K bracket.

Hope you get him a S1 Ghia with a brake upgrade UK, there's sure to be one or two around!

All the best with it.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2010, 01:02 AM   #14
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

UK has been around here for a long time, and can pass on any tidbits and ido sycronise of AU lovin' to his son

Knowledge of the make and model + fixed budget = Trip to Auction Housa to buy as much AU as budget allows.....

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2010, 04:14 AM   #15
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

at a glance this s2 looks ok and has lo k`s.
http://yahoo.carsales.com.au/all-car...d=1289B957CCDC
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2010, 07:05 AM   #16
The Monty
Just slidin'

I sold my old car for $3800 a year ago, with rego and a roadie. Bargain whoever picked it up.
Old 16-05-2010, 09:52 AM   #17
Mont5.0
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by frd906
i own a au 1, see build thread, in the 4 years ive owned, never been a problem really, just maintance witch was required due to the amount of kms, usual, bushes, gaskets etc, but i never had a problem with the engine or box really, been a really good car to me, atm its sitting wating for a gear box

HAHAHAHA best read this year!
Old 16-05-2010, 10:02 AM   #18
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

Theres nothing wrong with an AU1, I had a futura and it was wonderful car. After a quick browse you can pick up an AU1 Futura with ABS, Cruise, Power windows for under $4k. A far better pick up than a S1 forte which never had those.

You may get a S1 fairmont or S2&3 forte for that price, but naturally you would want it in good nick.
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2010, 10:10 AM   #19
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

get an AU1 Fairmont, replace the brakes, then you get the whole kit, stopping power, and the fairmont gets the nicer tail lights/bonnet etc anyway so you're on a winner.
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2010, 04:26 PM   #20
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

With a budget of up to 4k, as davway mentioned, you can pretty much take your pick from clean AU2-3 low spec.

Having said that if you can't pick up a clean S2/3 Fairmont for under 4k, you're not trying hard enough.

They're very much an unloved car and the market recognises this so don't be afraid to negotiate on advertised prices.

Good luck with the search.
private9 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2010, 04:33 PM   #21
The Monty
Just slidin'

*cough* auctions *cough*
Old 16-05-2010, 05:09 PM   #22
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle_Ken
Hi Guys (and girls)
My son is ready to get his first car. What do you think I can get for $3-4000 in an AU? Needs to be an Auto, and in Sydney.

UK
baby lexus/toyota
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2010, 05:38 PM   #23
Uncle_Ken
Donating Member1

Monty ... If only you had it now and lived in Sydney...
Atec77.. I like the toyotas as well..

Uk
Old 16-05-2010, 05:44 PM   #24
Uncle_Ken
Donating Member1

I guess I want it all. My son is not what you would call a 'car nut' (not yet lol) so I'm looking for something that 'wont break down'. I worry about small 4's given the high ks I would pay for that $3-4000 orice bracket. My logic is a 6cyl cna do more klms with less stress on the car. I like the idea of a Fairmont, spme of the ELs are very good price and some are dual fuel

UK
Old 16-05-2010, 07:14 PM   #25
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle_Ken
I guess I want it all. My son is not what you would call a 'car nut' (not yet lol) so I'm looking for something that 'wont break down'. I worry about small 4's given the high ks I would pay for that $3-4000 orice bracket. My logic is a 6cyl cna do more klms with less stress on the car. I like the idea of a Fairmont, spme of the ELs are very good price and some are dual fuel

UK
There's a dual fuel AU2 XR6 up here at one of the local car wholesalers for $7890. No idea of kays, but it's at Grady's autos (02) 6285 0101 if you're interested and want to give them a call. I could take it for a spin if you want me to check it out (it's a bit more than $3 or 4K, but basically similar cost to buying an AU and then fitting it with gas, but without the rebate).
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2010, 08:45 PM   #26
Uncle_Ken
Donating Member1

Thanks for the offer JC, bit to much to pay. I want to keep it cheap enough so I only have to get third party property damage to cover the son hitting a Rolls Royce

UK
Old 17-05-2010, 10:50 AM   #27
Stattic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auturbo6
I think a Au is too powerful for a young bloke. I think he'd be better off with a 1.5 mitsubishi mirage or something like that. I wanted a 350 powered HQ panelvan as my first car. Guess what my dad said to that.......... We found a 1976 Toyota Corrolla 1.2Litre and i can guarantee my sitting here today to the intellegence of that decision.
I was invincable to 25, not so sure now though.
are you joking? You come in every thread and say something ridiculous. Perhaps UKs son isn't quite the idiot you assume he is. Most kids with nice cars are too scared to wreck them. Buy them a jap box and they think they can drift but What kind of damage can a kid do in an auto single spinning 12 year old forte? And I'm not asking you Josh lol
if to can't be trusted to drive a stock au then you shouldn't have a license or a car

and UK.. I have also seen quite a few fairmonts around the 4k mark it seems the green ones are quite cheap for some reason. Keep a look out in the for sale section most people are pretty flexible and a lot of the cars on here are looked after
256rwkw

BA manual Typhoon
Fully optioned, 340rwkw@16psi (thanks Bluepower)!

The old ride....
AU Fairmont, cammed beast, R.I.P you made my p plate years bearable!
150.8rwkw courtesy BPR
Stattic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2010, 11:42 AM   #28
HLC
Audi S3

mine
Old 17-05-2010, 06:04 PM   #29
Uncle_Ken
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLC
mine
Henri what have you done to your baby? Two monsoon Blue AUs in the same driveway might get confusing.

UK
Old 17-05-2010, 08:28 PM   #30
HLC
Audi S3

just needs some TLC. i cant afford to sell it. but i really dont want to afford to keep it on the road. because being under 25 im paying ridiculous amounts of money for insurance etc to keep a car worth, realistically stuff all on the road.

they wouldnt get confusing either lol one will always be dirty HAHA