Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 16-07-2007, 02:19 PM   #1
Ralliart
2011 A New Fresh Start

Angry Optus Customer Service : Indian WTF

hey guys, i just rang optus to ask how much money i owe them because i my current bill is overdue, anyway i get through to customer service and get an Indian again WTF : : , we live in Australia not India wtf is optus doing with the customer service now, i don;t think i'm calling them from now on, this has happen for the last few calls, what do you guys think

Old 16-07-2007, 02:20 PM   #2
svo347
AFF's 1st DM.......

Location: Wha???... There is only 2 states 2 be in.. WA or Drunk..

Get with the times brother, its the way its all heading. Telstra is the same.. Sux i know
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
I know what lengths they go to to ensure it's more than just a Ford sticker on the part. Ford doesn't throw it's name on anything for a quick buck.
06 Turbo Terri AWD 6 sp in Neo with stuff i didnt even need, side steps,15.2 inch roof mounted DVD,Pioneer $tezza,Selby 30/18mm swaybars,debunged,100 cpsi Ballistic cat,Plazmaman under battery Cai injectors 14/lb boost,ZF tuned,Xtreme's magic. :
Old 16-07-2007, 02:21 PM   #3
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think that you will find that it is a person of Indian descent working in one of their call centres here in Australia.
Old 16-07-2007, 02:33 PM   #4
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

Quote:
Originally Posted by svo347
Get with the times brother, its the way its all heading. Telstra is the same.. Sux i know
Que?

Have telstra for a number of services and always end up asking where they're located (whilst we wait in uncomfortable silence whilst they look at my account/service information on their computers) and always in melbourne, sydney or perth.

As for optus... well its owned by a singapore company... a singapore government owned company at that...

Why would you expect domestically based support from a foreign owned company?

Also seems strange that you have a problem with the nationality of people answering the phone. Are you saying the person had poor english skills or just generally having a whinge because they had an accent??
Old 16-07-2007, 02:33 PM   #5
andrewts
White Car Driver

I rang up iiNet and spoke to a lovely Australian girl who did a great job in solving my issue. I feel very satisfied with that, because it indicates there are still some jobs in Australia. I've had Indian blokes before, but what would an Aussie be doing working in a call centre in India? I think sgt_doofey is right, it would have been an Aussie worker with an Indian accent.
Old 16-07-2007, 02:35 PM   #6
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.9 EF Futura
Are you saying the person had poor english skills or just generally having a whinge because they had an accent??
Exactly what I want to know too. This threads life depends on the answer.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Old 16-07-2007, 02:54 PM   #7
irlewy86
Meep Meep

I get pretty ****ed off about Vodafone. You ring up the call centre and its in TASMANIA. What is it with telco's and deserting the mainland.
Old 16-07-2007, 02:58 PM   #8
XR8 Uterous
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by irlewy86
I get pretty ****ed off about Vodafone. You ring up the call centre and its in TASMANIA. What is it with telco's and deserting the mainland.
Tassie is still part of Australia, why does ot matter that its not part of the mainland?
Old 16-07-2007, 02:58 PM   #9
XWGT
Powered by Marshall

Hmmmm, there are not many organisations that have not out sourced some form of their customer service to India, so I would be getting used to it. And that includes Telstra (first line tech support)

However, so much has been outsourced that India is now outsourcing..........to China. Seriously. So I think you will be seeing more before your seeing less.
Old 16-07-2007, 03:04 PM   #10
Cuddle_bunny84

Everytime I cal Optus I get an Aussie...and their call centre is in Melbourne. I've also never had a problem with them. Maybe next time if you don't like the ethnicity of the operator, hang up and try again???
Old 16-07-2007, 03:06 PM   #11
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This thread has been diverted to our Indian, who gives a toss dept, your post will be responded to shortly.
Old 16-07-2007, 03:09 PM   #12
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

I am with optus and a few months ago changed one of my phone plans, upgraded it to a 79 cap. This was done through their Indian call centre. Next bill was huge. Chased up through an Aussie call person (bill enquiry), they said I was put on wrong plan, was put on 79 a month plan. I was credited and plan fixed up.

Last year when I had issues with my phone, rang optus up, Indian call centre. I wanted a new phone, 2 months on plan to go, was happy to pay for it. Indian call bloke said bad luck, would have to pay out plan and start a new one. I thought bugger it and rang Telstra to join up. Telstra had to put me on party line to keep number I had with optus. Same Indian numnut. Then when I said I was changing I was put through to Aussie call taker. After he had my details, first question he asked, was had I signed. I said no as I hadn't. He then said they would be nuts to let me go for such a simple issue. He gave me a new phone, didn't charge me anything for it.

I have been with Optus for 7 years. Not too bad a network, but I must agree about these Indian call centres. They are hard to understand and seem to make quite few mistakes.
Old 16-07-2007, 03:13 PM   #13
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYGT05
Tassie is still part of Australia, why does ot matter that its not part of the mainland?

It was a joke, I honestley feel for the people who ring up foriegn customer service and have to spell Brisbane for them.
Old 16-07-2007, 03:21 PM   #14
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Ahhh guys the Optus call centre is still in Australia, Cnr of William st and Flinders lane in Melbourne IIRC. They do have a fair few Indian & Pakistani people working there. As for Telstra guess what, Australia too. Get your facts right before you start going off.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
Old 16-07-2007, 03:35 PM   #15
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedXR347
Ahhh guys the Optus call centre is still in Australia, Cnr of William st and Flinders lane in Melbourne IIRC. They do have a fair few Indian & Pakistani people working there. As for Telstra guess what, Australia too. Get your facts right before you start going off.
http://www.optus.com.au/portal/site/...extfmt=default
Old 16-07-2007, 03:40 PM   #16
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrum
Never fully eventuated, Brother in law worked for Optus in Melb until a few months ago and still has friends there.
Old 16-07-2007, 03:42 PM   #17
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedXR347
Never fully eventuated, Brother in law worked for Optus in Melb until a few months ago and still has friends there.
Interesting. The two people I spoke to stated they were based within India. This is a question I asked. The aussie I spoke to after my issue with new hand set also confirmed this........... I will contact optus.
Old 16-07-2007, 03:47 PM   #18
Coxxxy
SerialThriller

From what i have been told it depends on the time of day you call....
Old 16-07-2007, 03:48 PM   #19
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrum
Interesting. The two people I spoke to stated they were based within India. This is a question I asked. The aussie I spoke to after my issue with new hand set also confirmed this........... I will contact optus.
How odd...Could be a case of calls going to Indian Call centre if all Aus operators are busy.

Also to all you bagging Optus try dealing with three, they are the most unhelpful people I have ever spoken to. They have even told me they can do things that are illegal, like sign up a contract for me in someone elses name! Question them about something and they read an answer from a list, continue questioning and you get the same response no matter how irrelevant it is. The word right seems to follow every sentence and some of them really need to do some work on their knowledge and use of the English language.
Old 16-07-2007, 03:51 PM   #20
The Monty
Just slidin'

Im through Optus for my internet. I am appaled to say the least at the level of support I receive from the "Indian sounding" people I talk to. Their inability to diagnose problems, and every issue I ever have is "its your router".
Our bill went up a month ago. Rang to ask why we didnt even get told it was going up and the reply was "We sent everyone a letter".
I then said, "Well, no you didnt as I never recievd one", to which the response was...
"Everyone recieved there letters".
They dont accept any responsibility, everything is always someone elses fault. I am changing to a different provider next month.
When you do get through to an Aussie, they are always friendly, and are always keen to help.
Old 16-07-2007, 03:55 PM   #21
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If your a multinational, why wouldn't you hire an Indian with more qualifications than an Australian at a third of the price of an Australian?

That's a simplification of the concept of outsourcing anyway
Old 16-07-2007, 04:07 PM   #22
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_au
If your a multinational, why wouldn't you hire an Indian with more qualifications than an Australian at a third of the price of an Australian?

It appeals to my sense of humour that people choose the CHEAPEST telco with the CHEAPEST products so the have the CHEAPEST bill each month but complain when the aforementioned telco uses the CHEAPEST method to support them.

You get what you pay for............

I am with Telstra. My Telstra AE turns up every couple of months and buys me expensive coffee while discussing my bill or whatever new services are about. When I have a problem I ring him directly on his mobile and he sorts it all out. Great service and great pricing.
Old 16-07-2007, 04:08 PM   #23
GTpilot
FG GT 5.4 w/ additions!

Whenever I get a person in the phone I cannot understand, I first ask if the call is being recorded. If not I tell them I want it to be. I then proceed to complain how I cannot understand what they are saying, complain their English is very bad and request to speak with another operator that speaks clear english or their supervisor.

The more people do this the higher the standard will become as supers will start getting ****ed off at having taking calls all the time.
Old 16-07-2007, 04:11 PM   #24
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgb
Whenever I get a person in the phone I cannot understand, I first ask if the call is being recorded. If not I tell them I want it to be. I then proceed to complain how I cannot understand what they are saying, complain their English is very bad and request to speak with another operator that speaks clear english or their supervisor.

The more people do this the higher the standard will become as supers will start getting ****ed off at having taking calls all the time.
Tried that, doesn't work with Three. They refuse to escalate any calls as their supervisor apparantly always says that they are not taking any calls as they are too busy.
Old 16-07-2007, 04:30 PM   #25
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
I am with Telstra. My Telstra AE turns up every couple of months and buys me expensive coffee while discussing my bill or whatever new services are about. When I have a problem I ring him directly on his mobile and he sorts it all out. Great service and great pricing.
I'm sure optus would be in a similiar position for high-worth customers.

What it comes down to is keeping unprofitable or low-profitability customers with "cost effective" service.

The ideal level of service for these low profitability customers in either having a call centre New-Delhi or Latrobe Valley should be the same. Afterall - in theory many of these indian nationals have qualifications higher than their equivalents in Australia.

However, there is always an issue with xenophobia, I'll be first to admit I have it too with call centres. And as you said, it certainly brings a level of "cheapness" to their service - as well as sending potential jobs offshore.
Old 16-07-2007, 05:59 PM   #26
gz1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This happend to me about a year ago. At the time I had been an optus customer for over 5 years, phone lines, and adsl internet. When I moved to my new house I thought that since I had no real complaints with optus, and their cable was passing just outside, I would transfer all my services and add cable TV as well. Well rang up the call center where I was told I could not do this as cable service was not available in my new street. Even though I could see the cable. Even though the house two doors down had optus cable. Still the nice Indian accent on teh other end insisted that cable service was not available in that area. I asked for a supervisor and was told that they would call me back as they were busy. Fair enough. A couple of hours later I receive a call from that supervisor, at least they kept their word, who informed me that there had been a mistake and yes cable was available and yes I could transfer. Unfortunately at that time I was in the car and could not go through all the required details so I said thanks for sorting out, I'll call back and complete the transfer.
So later that day I call back only to repeat the cycle of cable access is not available. Even when I informed them that their supervisor called and told me it was.
Getting tired of this I called iinet and have been with them since.
Old 16-07-2007, 06:17 PM   #27
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monty
When you do get through to an Aussie, they are always friendly, and are always keen to help.
Mate, you're in denial... Just cause you can understand them easier, doesnt mean they are keen to help you...

Indian call centres are the way of the future... Like it or lump it... Indians are being hired in Australian call centres too so before you keep ranting on, get used to it. Indians are smarter and often have far greater qualification than their Aussie counter parts. Just cause they have an accent, doesnt make them any less intelligent...

: I think everyone should get over it really... If you have a problem with it, tell your family and friends to start working in call centers for $10 - $15 a day... then you can have your "Aussies" and the jobs can stay here... : :
Old 16-07-2007, 06:22 PM   #28
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_au

I used to work for an extremely large global computer company, and we were always inundated with "over qualified" indian phone techs who could barely understand how a computer worked, or techs transferred to australia from India to do hands on work for 14 cents a decade, who could barely operate excel long enough to fill in their timesheets.

We had a guy from Bangalore who had a degree in computer science from India, who could not turn on a Compaq Proliant. Simply unable to work out which button would power this technological terror. All his other call outs usually ended with another tech attending afterwards, or some sort of Fire.

When I left said extremely large global computer company, guess what? I replaced another over qualified Indian with a degree in computer science and an MCSE from indian colleges, who managed to copy everyones C drive into their roaming profiles, then couldnt work out why everyone in the company was annoyed at how slow their computers were.

If you are a multinational, and you outsource offshore, you simply do not care if your customers live or die. Its a bad practice and a myth of economic advantage. The simple fact is, people who hate dealing with your after sales support, DO NOT COME BACK. Also the whole point of after sales or technical support is to be efficient, close cases with good outcomes. Not fill your customers with such dread & frustration that they either dont bother to call, or give up during the call.

1965 XP Falcon Deluxe Sedan
1978 XC Falcon Wagon Rallypack
2003 BA Fairlane G220

Windsor Powah!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7hT9dxD2hM

Old 16-07-2007, 06:24 PM   #29
savagE
Complete ****** n bogan

God, I would seriously rather neck my self (no offence) than work in a call centre.

Having said that though, I am not racist but I do find it really hard to understand Indian accents compared to Australian accent, today on the phone I had no idea what the guy was saying.
Old 16-07-2007, 06:27 PM   #30
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypez
Indians are smarter and often have far greater qualification than their Aussie counter parts.
Heres a Gem. I can buy an MCSE in New Delhi, and not even sit an exam. Not even attend a class. There are more then enough universities in India where you can also purchase diplomas in the same way.

A piece of paper does not make someone intelligent(that holds true for Australia as well). Especially in a market place where you can buy your qualifications over the counter.

1965 XP Falcon Deluxe Sedan
1978 XC Falcon Wagon Rallypack
2003 BA Fairlane G220

Windsor Powah!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7hT9dxD2hM

Closed Thread