Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 16-04-2008, 09:01 AM   #1
Smegger
Starter Motor

Default Keys locked in boot, AUII with gas tank

Hey all,

My only set of keys have been locked in the boot of my car -- no, it wasn't me . The cabin is unlocked, but due to the LPG tank in the boot I can't get an arm into the boot space to pull the manual release tag on the boot lid.

Is there any way to get into the boot with the cabin unlocked? The electronic boot release button wants the keys (I assume for accessory power..) so it doesn't work.

One idea I had was to pop the boot release switch out and trigger it with a 12v power source (spare battery) -- although I'm paranoid that the boot-release is wired through the immoboliser, and that manually powering it cause other, more expensive problems.

Advice appreciated!

(oh, on a side note, i'm not a new member here, but forgot my user/pass from a few years back!)

Smegger is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2008, 09:51 AM   #2
Uncle_Ken
Next upgraded Mk1 Leopard
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always putting some imput into the forums to help or make it a bit easier for others Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

How about the old coat hanger, see if you can grab it that way through the back seat?

UK
How 2's: Change rear view mirror, Install backfire valve, Change foam front seats, Install auto transmission cooler, Replace Trans Shift Globe, Remove front door Trim, Paint AU headlights, install door spears, Premium Rear Parcel Shelf, go here...
Uncle_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2008, 09:57 AM   #3
DirtyHarry
Do you feel lucky?

I feel your pain...I spent $140 on taxi fares home & back to get the spare keys.

As said above, if the boot's reasonably empty you might be able to get the NRMA/RAC/AA to open the car doors and then snag the keys with some wire under the tank.

Last edited by DirtyHarry; 16-04-2008 at 10:06 AM.
DirtyHarry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2008, 10:09 AM   #4
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

you have 2 options.

Drill a 25mm hole in the boot under the number plate and fish the manual trigger wire out, then put a rubber grommet in the hole and refit your number plate
or
with a large screw driver hold the top of the rear bar down enough to allow you access to the 2 * 10mm bolts that hold the boot striker to the body. Once you have those bolts out the boot will fly open

PS you know you can get extensions for that manual trigger wire from Ford that velcro onto the parcel tray

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2008, 10:17 AM   #5
DirtyHarry
Do you feel lucky?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecraft
PS you know you can get extensions for that manual trigger wire from Ford that velcro onto the parcel tray
Good idea. I'm going to follow this up!!
DirtyHarry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2008, 10:43 AM   #6
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

it's actually a complete new cable to replace the shorter original one i got one for my car thell the you want the release cable off the tickford dual fuel car

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2008, 10:52 AM   #7
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For research and posted write up on cooling system care and repair in AU.COM and offering help where possible 

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3xr6
it's actually a complete new cable to replace the shorter original one i got one for my car thell the you want the release cable off the tickford dual fuel car
Thats excatly what i have... so maybe search some wreckers for Ex-Taxi's and buy one...
Old 16-04-2008, 01:43 PM   #8
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecraft
you have 2 options.

Drill a 25mm hole in the boot under the number plate and fish the manual trigger wire out, then put a rubber grommet in the hole and refit your number plate
or
with a large screw driver hold the top of the rear bar down enough to allow you access to the 2 * 10mm bolts that hold the boot striker to the body. Once you have those bolts out the boot will fly open

When I couldn't get into the boot on the EL because the release cable snapped (which rendered both the key and the remote useless), I had to cut into it behind the number plate, using a grinder. It's now patched and the number plate hides it perfectly, but what a PITA!
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2008, 02:00 PM   #9
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

yeah, we went around to all the cabs one day and put on the longer (tickford style) cables on the aftermarket dual fuel cars - very cheap insurance. every dual fuel sedan should have one!

also

get a second set of keys! every AU came standard with two sets.
Old 16-04-2008, 02:17 PM   #10
Smegger
Starter Motor

Thanks for the suggestions guys (in particular RaceCraft) -- the boot has a couple of bulky items in it, so fishing out the keys with a coat-hangar is a no-go. Regardless, I can't actually see into the bootspace from the cabin, so it'd be a nightmare blindly stabbing around for my keys

I like the idea of unbolting striker.. didn't think of that. Regardless, I can't actually see into the bootspace from the cabin, so it'd be a nightmare blindly stabbing around for my keys

My best bet at this stage is to have the car towed to a Ford service centre (RACQ Ultra care should take care of this) and fork out the ~$125 for a new key. I need a spare anyway. I bought the car from a dealer in Melbourne about 4 years ago, and they only supplied one key. Never occurred to me at the time to ask them to supply a spare.

Again, thanks for the suggestions.
Old 16-04-2008, 02:26 PM   #11
teabags2
Bob

Pull out the 5A fuse top second from the right in the fuse box for 3-5 secs and push the release button twice.
It worked on my AU3. Complements of the RAA.

Bob
teabags2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 16-04-2008, 02:50 PM   #12
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For research and posted write up on cooling system care and repair in AU.COM and offering help where possible 

Quote:
Originally Posted by teabags2
Pull out the 5A fuse top second from the right in the fuse box for 3-5 secs and push the release button twice.

Bob
That would have to be the best suggestion yet! well done TB2
Old 16-04-2008, 02:56 PM   #13
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:

Bob
Is that push the button after reinstalling the fuse, or while the fuse is out?

I assume that resets the BEM so it restarts the 10 minute window in which to open the boot after the ignition is switched off.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2008, 03:56 PM   #14
teabags2
Bob

I'm not sure. This is the note my wife made after the RAA undoing the boot for her. I was not there.
In the factory gas cars they have a boot release behind the back seat swab. You can get these from spare partys for about $30. my 2X AU's have both got them now.

Bob
Old 16-04-2008, 08:17 PM   #15
Vacant
Banned

You can also remove the lower shroud on the steering column to expose the back of the ignition barrell and use a jump wire to apply power to the accessory or ignition circuit, then press the boot release button.
Vacant is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2008, 08:23 PM   #16
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Removing the fuse is the easiest option and yes it does work.
Remove fuse, put fuse in, press button.
StealthAu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2008, 08:32 PM   #17
HenryV8

^^^^^

I think I will make a discrete note of this tip and stick it in the glove box.
HenryV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2008, 10:26 PM   #18
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

That's awesome work guys ... I never knew that.
You learn something new everyday I guess.
Not that I need to now it ... I have a tonneau cover over my boot ... I always have easy access to it :P
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2008, 10:48 PM   #19
mojo
the doors

there should a boot release cable behind the back seat{Left hand side fold out the 60/40 seat,and you'll see the cable.
mojo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2008, 10:54 PM   #20
peterban
AULTD

If it had a sub woofer in it (they take that out as it sits too low for the gas tank) then just remove the speaker grille, put arm through and feel for the boot release cable.
peterban is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2008, 12:10 AM   #21
teabags2
Bob

Mojo,
The boot release you are talking about are in factory gas cars. Retrofit gas kits do not come with these (or air box lid springs)

Bob
Old 18-04-2008, 02:11 AM   #22
5.0 ED
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with sound technical advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has helped a number of AFF members with their cars, particularly with EEC tuning 

But ghia's got it though, cause both our fairlane ghia and fairmont ghia have it.
5.0 ED is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2008, 03:26 AM   #23
sanjay

my xr6 has a boot release cable just behind the left hand side rear seat. no gas in my car either
Old 18-04-2008, 01:25 PM   #24
Jastel
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has much experience with taxis and always jumps on here to explain things simply and help out the new guys in B-series and Contemporary... 

I have taken the parcel shelf out and fished out the wire via the speaker holes once before. Boot was almost empty but. Then I put an extension on the trip wire, just used some fishing line trace wire and ran it behind the back seat. Of course I never needed it again after that.
Jastel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2008, 01:38 PM   #25
teabags2
Bob

My cars have been Forte's and Futura's and they have not had them in. At lease the ligher level models have these fitted. The bracket looks like it will accept two cables, one from inside the boot and the other behind the back swab.
My wife took the kids to the national park which is fairly remote from anywhere to have a picnic during a school holidays and locked the keys in the boot. it took the RAA over an hour or so to respond. At lease she had the insight to write down how he opened the boot for next time.
I fitted the cables just in case anyway. I did not even know they were available until I got a second hand factory gas AU2 after this.

Bob
Old 18-04-2008, 11:53 PM   #26
Night

Not just the Ghia with the boot release behing the seat, mine's just a fairmont and it has it.
Night is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2008, 10:14 AM   #27
Smegger
Starter Motor

Thanks -- the fuse-trick worked a treat!
Old 21-04-2008, 03:36 PM   #28
T-Pak Addict
Jim

Quote:

Bob
going to have to remember that one. thats brilliant..... how many times do you want to grab something out the boot and you left your keys inside the house......

The Old Daily.......2003 Octane BA Taxi Pak Egas Falcon Build Thread
T-Pak Addict is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2013, 08:59 AM   #29
Jan
Starter Motor

Default Re: Keys locked in boot, AUII with gas tank

Hello everyone.I would like to post this suggestion about opening a boot when you have no keys no power (vehicle dismantled) and an LPG cylinder in the way.What a nightmare we bought a 1999 au s pack,that had the entire front dash disamantled,no key needless to say no power and of course the boot was closed..I lifted the parcel shelf just enough to try and get my arm/hand through to try and reach the release cable but couldn't find it.But I could see the boot lock and there was a round plastic part with a slot in it.If you can imagine something like a large flat head screw (well sort of)..So I got a long straight thin and very solid metal bar to the end of that I taped on a flat head screw-driver.I inserted the rod under the parcel shelf, right in the middle, (while trying to shine the torch)and when I thought it was in the right place I turned the rod..Voila I heard a click and to my amazement it opened!!!! As it turned out the boot release cable was there but had been stretched and was just hanging/dangling.Now the boot lid was not the original one it was from an au but had the fairmont ghia badges on it. I have attached 3 images.
One shows the very technical tool I made and the boot release cable.
Another is the plastic flat looking screw I tried to explain earlier.
And then an image from inside the car looking from the parcel shelf through to the boot lock.
Must say I was proud of myself as my other half and his mate had spent quite some time coming up with many ideas and scoffed at my idea.
I hope that some one finds this helpful.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg boot 013.JPG (61.7 KB, 169 views)
File Type: jpg boot 012.JPG (35.7 KB, 134 views)
File Type: jpg boot 008.JPG (38.6 KB, 138 views)
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 03-06-2013, 09:01 AM   #30
Jan
Starter Motor

Default Re: Keys locked in boot, AUII with gas tank

Just noticed the heading says AUII that isn't correct.This vehicle would be one of the first in the AU series.Sorry about that!!
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post