Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 02-08-2009, 01:52 PM   #1
Swedishmoose

Default Planetary gearset in the diff

Hi there...

I wonder if anyone can explain, why all Falcons and Territories have that whining noise coming from the planetary gear set from the differential.

And why does it actually only appear when accelerating in the firt gear. As soon the auto transmission is shifting into second gear, the whining noise is gone.

I don't understand the difference, because the planetary gear set does what it does in all gears....ROTATING....no matter what gear is in.

I would understand the situation, if the noise came from the tranny itself. Then it woud make sense if a noise occurs in one gear ( first ) and not in other gears .

Thanks for any explanation and sorry for putting that question up again..I bet people have asked that many times....but I couldn't really find any satisfactory answers...

Well..thanks anyways

The Moose

Swedishmoose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2009, 02:20 PM   #2
speedzter

I've never seen a planetary gear set in a Diff' (anything's possible though) .
I think you mean in the Auto trans'.
Hence why it is in 1st

Take a look here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epicyclic_gearing

This has a cool animation:
http://www.howstuffworks.com/gear7.htm

Last edited by speedzter; 02-08-2009 at 02:26 PM.
speedzter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2009, 03:56 PM   #3
Swedishmoose

Hi there...

oops..I actually ment the tranny....I got confused with the differential because it seems that the noise comes from the differential..it seems the noise comes from the back.

Maybe it is just hard to point out where the noise is really comming from...if it was the tranny, the noise should come from the front or the centre of the car.

But thanks anyways...

The Moose
Swedishmoose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post