Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 26-04-2010, 09:28 PM   #1
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Squeaks, Vibrations & Rattles

So does your Fiesta have them? It's an inevitable part of car ownership, and as long as cars are designed by humans, they'll continue to happen. But where do you have them? On my MK7 the following:

- Drivers side B Pillar. Only happens on sharp corrugations at higher speeds. Is an annoying rattle.
- Passenger side rear seat (region). Definitely the most common, if you don't have the stereo on you can hear it in everyday driving.
- Upper dash, around the instrument cluster. A very subtle rattle, only at higher speeds on horrid roads.
- Passenger side B Pillar. Only happened once that I'm aware of, it was a windy day so not sure if that had anything to do with it? Similar rattle to the drivers side.
- Rear drivers side speaker vibration. Anything above 12 on the volume level, with a bit of bass has the rear going mad. I think I've figured this one out though.
- Glove box area. Only recent, a little squeak, only when driving on smooth roads with no stereo playing, very subtle.

So in saying all this, I'm by no means disapointed. As above, this happens and there are much more important things in life. But I'm suprised to read in the WS Service manual, the following.

Quote:

Section 9: What other items are not covered by the Ford Vehicle Warranty?

Except where they are required as a result of defects in factoring materials or workmanship, for which you may be required to pay include...removal of body rattles or squeaks and the general tightening up of components.
So does this mean goodbye mate, we'll service your car but the rattles are part of general wear and tear, and you can fix them? I'd like to assume if there is enough of these similar cases with the MK7, that everyone here could get them fixed.

This thread is by no means just directed at MK7 owners, as most of us are only one year in I'd love to get some feedback from MK6 Fiesta owners about their cars, what experiences they've had in regards to their service department looking into these rattles etc too.

Thanks peeps.

Old 26-04-2010, 10:20 PM   #2
macou

Quote:
- Upper dash, around the instrument cluster. A very subtle rattle, only at higher speeds on horrid roads.
After nearly a year, this one started on mine about 3 weeks ago. It's definitely the instrument cluster and only at high speed on a bad stretch of road. Strangely, if I open the glove box the noise stops. ??
macou is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2010, 07:43 PM   #3
Vision Zetec
Hurry up Germany!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by macou
After nearly a year, this one started on mine about 3 weeks ago. It's definitely the instrument cluster and only at high speed on a bad stretch of road. Strangely, if I open the glove box the noise stops. ??
Same here!1
Old 27-04-2010, 10:57 PM   #4
GoesLikeAZetec
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

so if it goes away with the glove box open, is it then something to do with dashboard plastic fitment and tolerances? ie some of the parts are to tight or something?
GoesLikeAZetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2010, 11:17 PM   #5
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

The only time I've noticed any rattles was when I took my WS Bush bashing down some pretty rutted dirt roads, the whole thing was rattling like anything, all the trim and the dash was going nuts.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2010, 10:10 AM   #6
trento
Audiophile

I've got a rattle in the driver's B pillar and what I'm guessing is the same rattle in the instrument cluster... but hopefully the soundproofing that I'll be putting in with my stereo will fix the one in the door. Not really sure how to stop the dash though.

ZOOM ZOOM: 2009 Mazda 3 MPS (2nd gen) 256bhp through the front wheels... hello torque steer!!!
trento is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2010, 05:48 PM   #7
GoesLikeAZetec
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by trento
but hopefully the soundproofing that I'll be putting in with my stereo will fix the one in the door.
dont forget to put up heaps of pictures dude!!!!

ive noticed a small rattle every now and then on the a pillar on a rough freeway at around 100-110kmh...

and one in the rear everynow and then when i go over a speed hump... apart from that i dont have any others in it....
Old 28-04-2010, 07:44 PM   #8
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Sorry, I've noticed another rattle, sounds like its coming from either where the cluster is or the pillar in front of the driver. Its only feint though.
Old 28-04-2010, 08:46 PM   #9
Cyborg1978

Im going to stop reading this thread. Every time I hop in my car I hear one of these repotted ratttles. NO MORE READING HERE.
Cyborg1978 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2010, 08:51 PM   #10
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So it's not just me then! By no means are they bad, I guess I'm a perfectionist. A few people in the UK forums have some rattles, but most there seem to have a rattle free cars, probably due to their better roads. Thanks Anna Bligh, I have crap roads, tar spatters all over my paint, excessive rego costs and the council won't fix the curb in-front of my house which a 4WD may just be able to tackle! Cheap petrol in Toowoomba though
Old 28-04-2010, 10:20 PM   #11
GoesLikeAZetec
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I expect to not have any rattles for at least a couple of years... The trucks/vans we have at work, some are up for their 3 year change over and they have basically none,which is pretty good considering the beating they get...

So why shouldnt a brand new car have none... Hell my RX4 only has one and its made in the early 70's hahaha.
Old 29-04-2010, 10:05 AM   #12
trento
Audiophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by trento
I've got a rattle in the driver's B pillar and what I'm guessing is the same rattle in the instrument cluster... but hopefully the soundproofing that I'll be putting in with my stereo will fix the one in the door. Not really sure how to stop the dash though.
Oh and the persistent knocking noise in the front suspension that the ford service Tech can't seem to hear when they take my car for a drive!!!!

ZOOM ZOOM: 2009 Mazda 3 MPS (2nd gen) 256bhp through the front wheels... hello torque steer!!!
trento is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2010, 07:56 PM   #13
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoesLikeAZetec
I expect to not have any rattles for at least a couple of years...
AHAHAHAHAHA! Good luck fella, I love Ford, but I have to remind you your car is a Ford!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoesLikeAZetec
The trucks/vans we have at work, some are up for their 3 year change over and they have basically none,which is pretty good considering the beating they get...
Christ. I got the pleasure of driving one of our work utes today as my ute was being serviced, a Mazda BT-50 2WD. I had forgotten how comfortable the XR6 and Fiesta are until I hopped in this thing, and the rattles, squeaks, vibrations, hell it sounded as if the doors were coming off! It's only two years old IIRC! No wonder all the other branches have since gone to Triton utes.
Old 29-04-2010, 10:23 PM   #14
GoesLikeAZetec
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

what do your guys do to your utes?

we got a couple of those BT50's and they've run perfect for 3 years...
Old 29-04-2010, 10:42 PM   #15
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

More like what don't we do, or what do our roads do to them! The rattle in the centre dash is horrible, and the passenger door must have rocks in the poor pannels! While these are work utes, makes me happy with my vehicle choices, and happy to just turn up the sterio and stop winging about my cars haha!
Old 21-05-2010, 08:20 PM   #16
Sweatbox
Starter Motor

My LX has had this infuriating rattle for the past couple of months - an annoying plasticky noise coming from the rear. I thought it must be the number plate frame (HATE those things!). So I put in strips of rubber and blu-tacked the frame and the number plate to within an inch of their life, but to no avail. So I got my dad to drive the car whilst I sat in the back, to get a better listen. The noise appeared, so I put my hand up and pushed up on the metallic part of the inside of the top of the hatch - and the noise stopped. I think I have discovered the source, namely the rubber seal at the top of the hatch rubbing against the inside of the hatch when it is closed. I suppose I will have to put a piece of old cloth like a sheet or something over the seal and see if that makes a difference. It's been driving me nuts, this noise, but I suppose I will be driven nuts for a while yet until I find a solution that works! Of course, if anyone out there in Fez land has one, I'm all ears!
Sweatbox is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2010, 09:17 AM   #17
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Good investigating Sweatbox! I don't like letting others drive my car, but it seems the only way to nail some of these squeeks Sweatbox. I might have a go next weekend and see if I can track it down, if not a few other rattles too!
Old 24-05-2010, 07:11 PM   #18
TopDeck
Starter Motor

I have a few noises and squeaks now starting to show up after 3000 kms.

When i first start the car cold & push the clutch in, I get a squealing sound from the clutch. When I lift up the noise goes away. Do this up down move 2 or 3 times its quiet. Should I get the clutch adjusted?

Another issue is when moving slowly & turning left or right, I here a clicking type sound from under the front of the car, like something is being clipped. I had a look underneath but did not see anything unusual.

Anyone heard of anything similar?
TopDeck is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2010, 07:14 PM   #19
TopDeck
Starter Motor

I have a few noises and squeaks now starting to show up after 3000 kms.

When i first start the car cold & push the clutch in, I get a squealing sound from the clutch. When I lift up the noise goes away. Do this up down move 2 or 3 times its quiet. Should I get the clutch adjusted?

Another issue is when moving slowly & turning left or right, I here a clicking type sound from under the front of the car, like something is being clipped. I had a look underneath but did not see anything unusual.

Anyone heard of anything similar?
TopDeck is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2010, 08:02 PM   #20
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I know a few guys from the Euro forums have had something like than fella, except it's when turning only one direction, something to do with the steering rack not being fitted correctly. Do you have the 17" alloys, perhaps they didn't fit the steering rack limiter (to which most say isn't needed) but maybe it's essential with the Ford alloys?

Definitely phoning my Ford dealer in the next few days to ask about rattles and get their opinion here.
Old 25-05-2010, 08:08 PM   #21
Fi.ES.TA

Just to add my 3 pennies,i have a seriously annoying rattle from the boot area
but i will have to get the mrs to drive while i stick my head in the boot to investigate.Theres nothing worse than having to listen to rattles and squeaks while driving it's like chinese water torchure.
Fi.ES.TA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2010, 10:08 PM   #22
vegabass
BASS ON BOARD!

No rattles what so ever! lol
Old 04-06-2010, 10:54 PM   #23
morbo

My WQ has a squeaky left rear passenger seat. I'm pretty sure its something to do with the latch mechanism. I initially tried spraying WD40 in the latch mechanism and it did work for a bit but now the squeak has returned.

Ive now wrapped the seat latch with some duct tape. Just came back from a quick spin the block through speed humps and tram tracks... I think i killed the mouse!!! Its too cold outside right now but i will have a better idea tomorrow when the fez gets to potter around town.
morbo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2010, 10:38 AM   #24
crispymk2

No rattle for me (yet) just a sqeeky clutch pedal. 8000ks in 3 months...
Old 06-06-2010, 08:48 PM   #25
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think I have the same problem morbo, seems everyone is having the same issue here. The Ford dealer can hopefully fix mine as I can't find it for the life of me, I could swear it's the rear hatch?
Old 09-06-2010, 09:31 PM   #26
morbo

For me its definitely the left rear passenger seat latch mechanism.
The tape initially seemed to have work, but now the squeak is back. I think i have to play around with the tape consistency.
Old 09-06-2010, 09:46 PM   #27
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

My clutch pedal is squeaking like anything, push it in and it squeaks and now on release it squeaks too.
Old 09-06-2010, 10:19 PM   #28
morbo

Gah, scratch that. Its gone back to its squeaky self again. :(
This is driving me insane!

Actually, its a great distraction from my exam study...
Old 16-06-2010, 06:33 AM   #29
morbo

hmm... i THINK i might have found mine.

Not the rear mechanism latch, but its the interior plastic housing of the rear left passenger c pillar (the panel that houses the rear seat belt). I've found that the panel, although its properly bolted on, has a bit of give and when you push it in and out it squeals a bit (hehehe).

I just moved mine back and forth and it seems fine... for now...
Old 16-06-2010, 03:51 PM   #30
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'll have a look at the back C pillar of mine. I didn't look there, I ran through the back seats, the door, the number plate attaching, everything but the C pillar and that's probably it. At first I thought it was the rear parcel shelf, but taking that out still houses a rattle.