Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 22-09-2010, 10:36 AM   #1
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Default RACV Push for M1 to be reinstated as 100 zone.

Good on them, needs to happen. I remember a post in the last thread about this saying the signage wasn't able to show 100, this is incorrect. They use LED variable signs which are capable of displaying 3 digits, I got a good chance to have a look when stuck under one for a prolonged period of time.
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/vic...-1225927598237

Quote:
SPEED limits on the Monash Freeway should be restored to 100km/h, according to the RACV.

The RACV has blasted the mishandled $1.39 billion M1 upgrade, saying there were now traffic hazards that had to be fixed.

Fixing the M1's problems is among a list of demands the organisation has made in the latest issue of RoyalAuto magazine. RACV public policy manager Brian Negus said the 80km/h speed limit along the Monash was routinely ignored.

The 80km/h limit extends as far out as High St, Glen Iris, but could be moved back to Toorak Rd, Hawthorn East.

Should all the Monash be 100km/h? Join the debate by posting a comment in the box below.

"The 80km/h speed limit is untenable. No one sticks to it," Mr Negus said. The section of road does not have emergency lanes, but road management technology meant lanes could be closed when required.
"You can safely reinstate the higher speed limit," Mr Negus said.

Improvements also needed to be made to the Warrigal Rd exits, where four lanes become three.

"VicRoads have been constantly changing the signs and lane marking, which means there's a problem," he said. "Unsuspecting motorists get trapped, and start performing dangerous late manoeuvres, which causes congestion."

Mr Negus said the lane from the Bolte Bridge to the Burnley Tunnel was too small for the volume of traffic it carried: "It's causing bank-ups onto the Bolte in both the mornings and evenings."

A spokesman for Roads Minister Tim Pallas said motorists were experiencing the benefits of the M1 upgrade.

"All speed limits across the M1 corridor reflect a safe and reasonable speed limit," spokesman Bill Kyriakopoulos said. "The new Bolte interchange layout has eliminated dangerous weaving movements that used to cause significant congestion and incidents."

Also included in the list of RACV priorities were a new motorway from Greensborough to EastLink and a commitment to the proposed underground railway from Caulfield to Footscray.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2010, 10:43 AM   #2
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not only do people need to contact the minister about this, RACV members need to contact the RACV to encourage this kind of pressure on the government. The motoring clubs with tens of thousands of members have the chance to be quite politically powerful.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2010, 11:22 AM   #3
XRQTR
TBA Customs

Most of these are left for one reason and one reason only, speed traps, the government knows all the information that has been put forward by the RACV and other bodies, and if you argue they don't then how about the OP article, I'm sure they have been informed now.

The Monash is a joke, the Western Ring around Airport West is worse, the limits are routinely 60 in an area where roadworkers are protected by concrete barriers. I've travelled along the Pacific Hwy North of Coffs where roadworkers are able to work just metres off the highway in 100km/h zones, yet a few k's south where new sections are being built it's 80 and yet the works are about 100m off the road with about 80 metres of thick bush. Hmm maybe I'll find the clearing through all those big a$$ed gums and navigate the truck and trailer through it all, riiiiiight.

Speed limits are not a true or correct reflection of the hazzards that may be prevalent in a certain area/section of road, drive on enough highways and you'll see this.

Then we have the new "No Trucks In Right Lane" along the Geelong freeway, I've had to travel this a few times in my truck and found it most frustrating to have to now sit behind the same f'wits that sat in the right lane doing 90 now doing it in the centre lane and his buddy alongside him in the left. I have used the right lane while in my truck only because they are still too arrogant to move over and allow you through, it seems that they just don't get the whole "courtesy" thing.

When are they going to actually take the advice of the people who actually use them or the bodies that represent the users, most ministers only see the roads from the back seat of there tax payer funded chaufuer driven cars, so explain to me how that qualifies them to make decisions they have no true qualification to make.

XRQTR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2010, 11:57 AM   #4
XWGT