Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 22-12-2010, 11:09 PM   #1
b2tf
not here much anymore

Default Anywhere, anytime - indeed!

Interesting experience on the way home tonight.....

Just before 9pm heading towards Forest Hill from Wagga Wagga city on the Sturt Highway. Thought I could see something in the bushes up ahead - bugger, looks like a car has lost control and ended up in the bushes, so thinking I'm doing the right thing I slow down, pull over and grab the torch and phone thinking I'm going to need to help someone out. Not exactly - one of those bloody speed camera Territories parked half into the bushes with only the rear end sticking out. Couldnt believe it. Nobody in or near the car, just a small interior light on and all the gizmos on the roof, and the 'your speed has been checked' sign sitting about 10m away in long grass none the less.

Sooner we can send the seppo Premier home and put these damn cars on the lot at a dealer somewhere the better......sneaky #$&$%&.

I have seen this particular one often on a Saturday morning heading out of town, if you're down our way be mindful of it. They seem to like the Sturt Highway as you are heading into town from the Forest Hill end, it is the light blue coloured one.

Old 22-12-2010, 11:20 PM   #2
BigCav
OzFalcon.com.au

i wish i had a spare car and plenty of time, surely theres no rules about parking a car half a meter from there bumper on the side of the road blocking the camera
BigCav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2010, 11:23 PM   #3
coolozzieguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf
Interesting experience on the way home tonight.....

Just before 9pm heading towards Forest Hill from Wagga Wagga city on the Sturt Highway. Thought I could see something in the bushes up ahead - bugger, looks like a car has lost control and ended up in the bushes, so thinking I'm doing the right thing I slow down, pull over and grab the torch and phone thinking I'm going to need to help someone out. Not exactly - one of those bloody speed camera Territories parked half into the bushes with only the rear end sticking out. Couldnt believe it. Nobody in or near the car, just a small interior light on and all the gizmos on the roof, and the 'your speed has been checked' sign sitting about 10m away in long grass none the less.

Sooner we can send the seppo Premier home and put these damn cars on the lot at a dealer somewhere the better......sneaky #$&$%&.

I have seen this particular one often on a Saturday morning heading out of town, if you're down our way be mindful of it. They seem to like the Sturt Highway as you are heading into town from the Forest Hill end, it is the light blue coloured one.
*Sighs*

"The Dark Force, powerful it is, much you have to learn, Young Luke. Sign beside road, at least you have..."

I always smile to myself when the septics and Banana Benders get so uptight about "This new fleet of 10" or however many cars... Spend some time south of the border...

This sort of thing has been happening down here in Mexico for many years, and only in the last few months (years?) have mobile cameras gone back to night duties down here, due to, ah, 'acts of retaliation' by some motorists.
Shorter UltraRide shocks to suit F/R.
30mm Whiteline Swaybar.

2010 TB Hyundai Getz. 4dr, 5sp Manual, 1.6L.
Enough Said.

Boggo October 2014 WZ Fiesta ST, Spirit Blue.
Gives me Wiiiiiiiiiiiiings!
coolozzieguy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2010, 11:50 PM   #4
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolozzieguy
*Sighs*

"The Dark Force, powerful it is, much you have to learn, Young Luke. Sign beside road, at least you have..."

I always smile to myself when the septics and Banana Benders get so uptight about "This new fleet of 10" or however many cars... Spend some time south of the border...

This sort of thing has been happening down here in Mexico for many years, and only in the last few months (years?) have mobile cameras gone back to night duties down here, due to, ah, 'acts of retaliation' by some motorists.
Good for you mexicans - doesnt mean I want 'em up here.
Old 22-12-2010, 11:56 PM   #5
STINKY NINJA
Banned

i give them the friendly finger i know they have a job to do but they suck
STINKY NINJA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2010, 12:14 AM   #6
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCav
i wish i had a spare car and plenty of time, surely theres no rules about parking a car half a meter from there bumper on the side of the road blocking the camera
Park the car in front of the camera, put on your hazzards, pop the bonnet and stand in front of your engine bay, reaching in every few minutes to juggle a wire or check a connection then stand back and scratch your head.

Not your fault where your car decides to break down now is it?
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2010, 12:16 AM   #7
AC/DC
" Let there be Rock "

Or dont speed !
AC/DC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2010, 12:29 AM   #8
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC/DC
Or dont speed !

Get off your pulpit ... must be wonderful to be so righteous.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2010, 12:38 AM   #9
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC/DC
Or dont speed !
I agree - sort of. Speed afely, is what I think you mean. ie 5 to 10km over is usually OK, and at least the cameras in NSW/ACT are set to that sort of tolerance level.

I still reckon that signage is the way to go - it is effective in slowing traffic (sometimes to well under the limit) even if the camera is out of film/memory/etc.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2010, 12:38 AM   #10
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro
Was on the Freeway today.... 3 cops over the course of an hr hiding behind bushes on a bend at the bottom of a hill or where the limit drops.

Then there was a decent straight, a few cars ahead of me on the right playing silly buggers, swerving and speeding across 4 lanes.

Pass another police car waiting, lights fire up.... I'm thinking BINGO, finally justice where it's needed.

They pulled over the Land Cruiser sitting in front of me in the left lane doing 5km under the limit minding his own business. He had 3 kids bikes on the tow ball and a number plate written on some cardboard.

Could only assume it was the pseudo number plate that was the problem...

All in the name of 'safety' remember......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2010, 12:40 AM   #11
FGX-351
Supercharged Mang-mobile

Lol there's always one in this type of thread.

Driving through kipparing recently I happened to notice a Q car beside me at a set of lights.
Reason i'm mentioning this is because it was a dirty, silver EF Fairmont wagon on LPG covered in purple Frangipani stickers.
I noticed the darker tint and small QPS sticker on windscreen.
09/00 VX HSV XU6 Build #0001 of 0171
http://fordforums.com.au/showthread....09#post5571209
-- Best E/T: |14.982 @92.12mph | R/T:0.013 | 60' 2.213| 330: 6.283 | 1/8: 9.624 @ 73.17mph | 1000: 12.529 | 25Deg, N/A Hum, 1010mb | Willowbank Raceway 7/12/16

Tickford EL Falcon XR6 RIP
-- Factory Manual
-- Best E/T: |14.991 @ 92.71mph | R/T: 0.607 | 60': 2.215 | 660': 9.665 |13Deg, 86%H, 1024mb, 184RA @ Willowbank Raceway
FGX-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2010, 12:42 AM   #12
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva
Park the car in front of the camera, put on your hazzards, pop the bonnet and stand in front of your engine bay, reaching in every few minutes to juggle a wire or check a connection then stand back and scratch your head.

Not your fault where your car decides to break down now is it?

They will just move up the road a bit. I hate these money raising cameras. One of the camera cars sped past me one arvo. So at the next set if lights I stopped next to him and was just staring at him. Make him feel uncomfortable
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2010, 08:54 AM   #13
66GT

A couple of months ago heading south on the gateway motorway in Brisvagas, got passed by the boy's in blue lights flashing. Noticed them shortly after on the side of the road (lights still flashing) behind a blue van. It took a moment to workout but the number of cops was now 3 & they appeared to be arguing about something - then I passed the speed camera sign in front of the van. ****ing myself that someone had the balls to call the cops & report a suspisous, or whatever vehicle. Then about 1km down the road is an upturned blue landcruiser.
66GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2010, 10:13 AM   #14
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro
What is wrong with not speeding?

You dont have to be righteous to follow the road rules, you just have to be a responsible citizen.

Don't go breaking the rules and then whine when you get caught out by what ever means its not the speed cameras fault you were speeding and decided to make a voluntary contribution the government.

Or be unattentive enough to the road to see one of these things on the side of the road while speeding, its only the people day dreaming and speeding that will get caught out by a camera. A cop however can check your speed at
distance of over 1000 meters, so as such is much more effective, as your speed will be registered beforen you can even see anyone up ahead, by the time you see them its way way too late.

I have a mate who did 5 years in the highway patrol, and he explained how it all works to me recently.....quite interesting really.

Last edited by XB GS 351 Coupe; 23-12-2010 at 10:22 AM.
XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2010, 10:35 AM   #15
MAD
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by XB GS 351 Coupe

You dont have to be righteous to follow the road rules, you just have to be a responsible citizen.

Don't go breaking the rules and then whine when you get caught out by what ever means its not the speed cameras fault you were speeding and decided to make a voluntary contribution the government.

Or be unattentive enough to the road to see one of these things on the side of the road while speeding, its only the people day dreaming and speeding that will get caught out by a camera. A cop however can check your speed at
distance of over 1000 meters, so as such is much more effective, as your speed will be registered beforen you can even see anyone up ahead, by the time you see them its way way too late.

I have a mate who did 5 years in the highway patrol, and he explained how it all works to me recently.....quite interesting really.
Well you see down here in VIC we have had quite a few instances of faulty cameras, so even if you aren't speeding you can get done.
Then there's the other tidbit that older cars (before 2006) can show a speed slower than you are actually travelling by up to 10% which again would have you booked when you thought you were doing the speed limit.

I dont think I have ever seen a thread where someone that was doing 30 over has whinged about being unfairly booked. It's always in the region of 5-10 over where they feel hard done by, and most of the time these incidents are short term lapses and accidental speed increases that probably last no longer than a couple of hundred metres at most.
Old 23-12-2010, 10:37 AM   #16
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Yes but its easy to be 10 kph over the limit which makes you a "criminal"..
Oh straight to jail..
I want my tax's and toll back when I sit in a traffic jam...

It's more driver behavour than speeding.... Anyway ...
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2010, 10:46 AM   #17
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

Should have let its tyres down lol!
Old 23-12-2010, 12:21 PM   #18
dylancox

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUF_302
Should have let its tyres down lol!
Someone should make a dash mounted EM field device that fries every microchip in said camera car at the press of a button.
dylancox is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2010, 12:37 PM   #19
xy500
Constant annoyance

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylancox
Someone should make a dash mounted EM field device that fries every microchip in said camera car at the press of a button.
problem is steel bodied cars act as a faraday cage, not to mention the amount of power required to fire an emp device powerful enough
Old 23-12-2010, 12:52 PM   #20
dylancox

Quote:
Originally Posted by xy500
problem is steel bodied cars act as a faraday cage, not to mention the amount of power required to fire an emp device powerful enough
The bits that detect speed are external to the car, or at least in clear view of the windscreen. That's all that needs a nice proper smack of EM radiation, the Territory doesn't need to die
dylancox is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2010, 03:25 PM   #21
bigsta
Making superman jealous

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:

Actually the Germans recently banned speed cameras and the rest of the EU will be following suite after they found they were unsafe.

Lets be honest here no one gets hurt from moving with traffic popping up 10kms over the limit at times but i see accidents everyday in the M5 east tunnel where there is a speed camera every 50M or so and you can not get away with doing 5 over people are so glued to their speedo they dont see the person in front braking.

Now i have always been of the opinion and so is the RTA if you read their handbook that when going through an intersection even though you have the green you should glance both ways to make sure some idiot is not running a red but now these new sneaky "safety cams" have ppl glued to their speedos and in unusual intersections like the one at rushcutters bay there is constant accidents there now caused directly by ppl looking at their speedo and not paying attention to the road.

SPEED CAMERAS ARE THE MOST DANGEROUS THING EVER TO BE PUT ON OUR ROADS

The police have a role enforcing the speed limit and ppl doing unusual and dangerous driving should be pinged but its a joke that they recently reduced the fine for not indicating by deleting the merit point component of it and at the same time adjusted the margin for error that police and cameras use from 10% to 3%.

Changing lanes or turning without indicating is far far more dangerous than doing 64 in a 60 zone.

Anyone who thinks that this is anything other than revenue raising is a idiot!

2006 SY Territory Ghia AWD in ego with roof mount DVD, tints, 7 seats, iPod input

2005 Crewman Cross 8 with 350 cubic inches, AWD, black on black rims on black leather, tints and polished racks
NEW TOY Bayliner 185, inboard 3L 4 cylinder pushing us along at 50MPH whenever i get a chance

I love Aussie cars and are gonna really miss them soon.......
bigsta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2010, 03:36 PM   #22
Streets
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Can there be a moratorium on these kind of topics please.
Streets is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2010, 04:47 PM   #23
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streets
Can there be a moratorium on these kind of topics please.
Why?

The above is VERY interesting.

If it has, in fact been found that speed cameras are a danger on the road rather than a safety measure then if your really believe in "Safety First" as detailed in your profile then you should be in favour of exploring this.

Or are you actually a closet "revenue first" supporter........
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2010, 06:22 PM   #24
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I believe speed/red light/safety cameras were put in as a measure to reduce road trauma, if they manage to raise revenue then that means that there are a lot of people breaking the rules, the more revenue they raise the more supporters within the Government will say that speed cameras are necessary simply by saying look how many people got done last week, month , year etc etc.

There for we are feeding these people ammunition to install more speed cameras - I am not debating if this is right or wrong, but it is just the way it is, and I do not necessarily agree with this either.

So lets all not donate to the speed camera fund by sticking to the rules, and if the cameras become un profitable (ie no one gets booked) these people will have no ammunition to install further cameras, and they might even get rid of the ones they have for two reasons, they become unprofitable, so the contractors operating mobile speed cameras will go broke, and the road safety people will say, look no one is speeding or running red lights, we do not need them any more.

Now here are two examples I was driving to work last week crossing Henry Lawson drive at Milperra heading east upon Newbridge Road, huge main intersection, with three lanes each way. I was stopped at a red light in the centre lane, had been stopped for a good 10-15 seconds, when a P plater female talking on her mobile phone ran straight through the intersection overtaking me still stopped at a red light. She only looked up when the safety camera flashed (it was still dark in the morning so it was quite obvious). Made my day, I was laughing all the way to work hoping she lost her license over it. Almost the same thing happened in Parramatta yesterday, except no safety camera, was looking around for a cop, but unfortunately did not see one.

I would hate to be the one going through the intersection on a green light with these people coming the other way, lets hope the cameras take them off the road for a while.

By the way I was probably one of the first people in NSW to be booked by a speed camera when they were first introduced, about 4:30am the first day they started operating the first speed cameras and they started issuing fines, so I know what it is like, and I was not happy, but never been done since, so lesson learned.

Last edited by XB GS 351 Coupe; 23-12-2010 at 06:28 PM.
XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2010, 06:24 PM   #25
Streets
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Why?

The above is VERY interesting.

If it has, in fact been found that speed cameras are a danger on the road rather than a safety measure then if your really believe in "Safety First" as detailed in your profile then you should be in favour of exploring this.

Or are you actually a closet "revenue first" supporter........
Yep and I'm a communist too.
Streets is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2010, 07:00 PM   #26
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streets
Yep and I'm a communist too.
Well not an unexpected reply.

If you don't like the thread content then don't get involved in it.

Fora are for discussion, that is why they are here.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2010, 09:29 PM   #27
Fiesta God
Ford Fiesta

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsta
Actually the Germans recently banned speed cameras and the rest of the EU will be following suite after they found they were unsafe.

Lets be honest here no one gets hurt from moving with traffic popping up 10kms over the limit at times but i see accidents everyday in the M5 east tunnel where there is a speed camera every 50M or so and you can not get away with doing 5 over people are so glued to their speedo they dont see the person in front braking.

Now i have always been of the opinion and so is the RTA if you read their handbook that when going through an intersection even though you have the green you should glance both ways to make sure some idiot is not running a red but now these new sneaky "safety cams" have ppl glued to their speedos and in unusual intersections like the one at rushcutters bay there is constant accidents there now caused directly by ppl looking at their speedo and not paying attention to the road.

SPEED CAMERAS ARE THE MOST DANGEROUS THING EVER TO BE PUT ON OUR ROADS

The police have a role enforcing the speed limit and ppl doing unusual and dangerous driving should be pinged but its a joke that they recently reduced the fine for not indicating by deleting the merit point component of it and at the same time adjusted the margin for error that police and cameras use from 10% to 3%.

Changing lanes or turning without indicating is far far more dangerous than doing 64 in a 60 zone.

Anyone who thinks that this is anything other than revenue raising is a idiot!
Spot on
Fiesta God is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2010, 09:48 PM   #28
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Did they measure where and how far off the road the car was? They do it up here all the time must be a regulation with them i often see them setting them up with a tape measure ours also have the 'Speed Camera in use' signs aswell often parallel to the road the camera is on or often in the bushes.

Those that are saying dont speed cannot say hand on heart they have never done so? Everyone in the world these days is in a hurry and wanted everything done yesterday (me included) so that doesnt help.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2010, 09:53 PM   #29
bigsta
Making superman jealous

Quote:
I believe speed/red light/safety cameras were put in as a measure to reduce road trauma, if they manage to raise revenue then that means that there are a lot of people breaking the rules, the more revenue they raise the more supporters within the Government will say that speed cameras are necessary simply by saying look how many people got done last week, month , year etc etc.

There for we are feeding these people ammunition to install more speed cameras - I am not debating if this is right or wrong, but it is just the way it is, and I do not necessarily agree with this either.

So lets all not donate to the speed camera fund by sticking to the rules, and if the cameras become un profitable (ie no one gets booked) these people will have no ammunition to install further cameras, and they might even get rid of the ones they have for two reasons, they become unprofitable, so the contractors operating mobile speed cameras will go broke, and the road safety people will say, look no one is speeding or running red lights, we do not need them any more.

Now here are two examples I was driving to work last week crossing Henry Lawson drive at Milperra heading east upon Newbridge Road, huge main intersection, with three lanes each way. I was stopped at a red light in the centre lane, had been stopped for a good 10-15 seconds, when a P plater female talking on her mobile phone ran straight through the intersection overtaking me still stopped at a red light. She only looked up when the safety camera flashed (it was still dark in the morning so it was quite obvious). Made my day, I was laughing all the way to work hoping she lost her license over it. Almost the same thing happened in Parramatta yesterday, except no safety camera, was looking around for a cop, but unfortunately did not see one.

I would hate to be the one going through the intersection on a green light with these people coming the other way, lets hope the cameras take them off the road for a while.

By the way I was probably one of the first people in NSW to be booked by a speed camera when they were first introduced, about 4:30am the first day they started operating the first speed cameras and they started issuing fines, so I know what it is like, and I was not happy, but never been done since, so lesson learned.
I think you totally missed my point red light cameras i support I am referring to safety cameras which are dual red light and speed cameras in one.

What I am stating is that the Germans have proven speed cameras are dangerous and can you seriously argue that doing 10KMs over the speed limit is more dangerous than constantly not paying attention to road conditions?

Perhaps that girl who granted should not be on the phone went through the red was distracted and did not see the red light because she was looking at her speedo as you state "she did look up" from what?? her speedo most likely.

There are a million things distracting us in the car these days and speed cameras and the worry they cause ppl are number one on the list of dangerous distractions.

2006 SY Territory Ghia AWD in ego with roof mount DVD, tints, 7 seats, iPod input

2005 Crewman Cross 8 with 350 cubic inches, AWD, black on black rims on black leather, tints and polished racks
NEW TOY Bayliner 185, inboard 3L 4 cylinder pushing us along at 50MPH whenever i get a chance

I love Aussie cars and are gonna really miss them soon.......
bigsta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2010, 10:27 PM   #30
bungarra

I am yet to find any proof form any road safety specialist or from any governmnt agency that proves speed cameras have made any difference to the road toll. The only times any study that has independantly conducted and reviewed correctly has proven anything but an improvement. There has only been two conclusive major changes that have been found to have lower the road toll, these being, compulsory seat belts and air bags.

The road toll in every state went up after the introduction of speed/safety cameras. This was proven in an ANU independant study that was done for the Federal Office of Road Safety, who dismissed it stating the figures wer inconclusive.

When the study was extended and taking out the factors of seat belts and airbags, per capita, the road toll has gone up in most states.

How many pollies will run for cover when eventually enough people say they want real answers?
bungarra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post