Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 23-12-2010, 01:10 AM   #1
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 
Default Victorian road fatalities mostly 'drivers going about daily business'

http://theage.drive.com.au/motor-new...222-194sv.html

Quote:
Victorian road fatalities mostly 'drivers going about daily business'

December 22, 2010 - 9:04AM

Most fatalities on Victoria's roads during the Christmas holiday period are not long-distance travellers but people going about their daily business, a coroners report has found.

Alcohol or speed were factors in more than half of all fatal crashes.

The report showed males are at greatest risk of dying on Victorian roads, with 70 per cent of deaths surveyed involving men.
Advertisement: Story continues below

Young people aged between 15 and 24 represented more than one-third (35 per cent) of all deaths.

The Victorian Coroners Court survey analysed 170 deaths from 154 road crashes in the Christmas holiday periods from 1999/2000 to 2009/10.

It found 53 per cent, or 74 people, were involved in social activities including travelling to shopping centres, private residences or leaving licensed venues when fatal crashes occurred.

Fourteen per cent of deaths involved holiday-related travel while a further fourteen per cent, or 19 people, died while driving for work purposes.

Five deaths involved people travelling in a stolen vehicle or trying to evade police.

''The majority of road users were undertaking travel for everyday activities at the time of the crash rather than undertaking holiday-related travel,'' the report concluded.

Drunkenness was a factor in 28 per cent of deaths, speed in 25 per cent, fatigue in 19 per cent and drug use was detected in 14 per cent of fatalities.

The report showed while the annual number of roads deaths have declined the number of fatal crashes over the Christmas period has not reduced.

Victoria Police Deputy Commissioner Ken Lay asked the Coroners Prevention Unit in January to undertake the review to explore why the Christmas road toll had not declined.

He said collisions during the holiday period contributed to an increasing proportion of the annual toll, from 2.5 per cent in 1999/2000 to five per cent in 2009/2010.

''We know that with holiday driving comes risk, people are driving long distances on often unfamiliar roads,'' Mr Lay said in a statement.

''But this review shows that a significant number of deaths over this period are in fact people undertaking day-to-day short distance trips to shopping centres and the like.

''This just shows that we all need to be vigilant on the road at all times and on all trips.''

AAP
Old 23-12-2010, 01:45 AM   #2
TEaaron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So burnouts and drifting is ok?

SWEET

E32 740iL Leather, sound system, rollin' on 19's
TEaaron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2010, 08:19 AM   #3
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There is no revelation in that. I think they are just highlighting to the average joe that anyone can get killed at anytime.
Trevor 57 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2010, 08:19 AM   #4
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEaaron
So burnouts and drifting is ok?

SWEET
Nice attitude - NOT!!!!!!
Old 23-12-2010, 08:30 AM   #5
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

I recall that NSW used to say its road toll increased due to influx of drivers from other states,
maybe that's the case for NSW and Queensland but I still think its a cop out as most people
get holiday travel brain and start doing silly things on the roads...
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2010, 09:38 AM   #6
LTDHO
The one and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Trev
Nice attitude - NOT!!!!!!
Pretty sure he was joking Trev.

Accidents happen, just pay attention and take care.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2010, 12:51 PM   #7
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

and dont forget when they say "speed related" has absolutely NOTHING to do with "speeding". It is what they determine too fast for the conditions (ie, if they were going slower they wouldnt have had a better chance not to crash.)
EDManual is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2010, 01:13 PM   #8
Poetic Justice
NOT A TOYOTA :/

What they forget to highlight is that a far greater amount of people are actually on holidays with more time to be doing "daily business" such as the going to shopping centres or leaving friends house etc as mentioned.

A greater amount of people on the road is of course going to result in a greater amount of incidents.
Old 23-12-2010, 06:58 PM   #9
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCUD
A greater amount of people on the road is of course going to result in a greater amount of incidents.
It pretty much highlights the poor driving standards of Australia IMO. When you see city's around the world that are more chaotic then Melbourne but people cope quite well.
Old 23-12-2010, 07:10 PM   #10
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
It pretty much highlights the poor driving standards of Australia IMO. When you see city's around the world that are more chaotic then Melbourne but people cope quite well.
Try driving in Asia. People don't use their indicators, pull out in front of each other and the drivers almost acquire a 6th sense to read and predict other driver behaviour. In Australia, pulling out in front of somebody will end in an accident, a fit of road rage or both.
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2010, 07:31 PM   #11
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by malazn mafia
Try driving in Asia. People don't use their indicators, pull out in front of each other and the drivers almost acquire a 6th sense to read and predict other driver behaviour. In Australia, pulling out in front of somebody will end in an accident, a fit of road rage or both.
Lived and worked in many parts of Asia. India was the only place I was worried (only on the highway) as they gear up to overtake. In the cities it was quite funny watching no order work. Reminded me of that cartoon bee movie.
Old 23-12-2010, 07:49 PM   #12
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think it's called complacency. Most prangs are within 10 kays of home,was one stat I read somewhere.
You think because you know the roads and the area you can go into auto pilot until something suddenly gets thrown into the equation that you weren't ready for.
Old 24-12-2010, 09:16 AM   #13
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee
I think it's called complacency. Most prangs are within 10 kays of home,was one stat I read somewhere.
You think because you know the roads and the area you can go into auto pilot until something suddenly gets thrown into the equation that you weren't ready for.
It is all about lack of concentration, people relax when they are near home.

I was in the VicSES for 13 years, doing road accident rescue, ('jaws of life' and stuff) and it is very common to see locals killed near their homes.
Old 24-12-2010, 09:18 AM   #14
LTDHO
The one and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
It pretty much highlights the poor driving standards of Australia IMO.
Agreed.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
Old 24-12-2010, 11:40 AM   #15
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

no wonder if 42% of those involved where either drunk or drugged up to the eyeballs!

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-12-2010, 10:31 AM   #16
LTDHO
The one and only

My advice for the next few weeks.

Watch out for the elderly, they are used to having the roads to them selves in surberbia during the week, so at the moment they are having to adjust. So be careful.