Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 15-04-2011, 03:45 PM   #1
peterban
AULTD

Default V8 pressure in coolant

I am having a problem with the LTD ( AU series II ) V8
The coolant is being pushed out the overflow hose whilst driving down the road.
It is not overheating and does not do anything at idle.
I have replaced the cap but this has done nothing to solve the problem.
I did have trouble with the heater tap recently and had to replace it.
I have read that you need to bleed the system which I think I have done by leaving the cap off and running at 2000rpm for 10 mins.
All hoses are hot to touch so I presume the coolant is circulating correctly.
How do you know if it is a head gasket problem or just an air problem?
The car is running O.K. with a slight miss at around 100kph.

peterban is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2011, 05:06 PM   #2
Whoosha
AU DIE HARD
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the things you do behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Default Re: V8 pressure in coolant

Sounds nasty Pete could be the head gasket has gone between a water jacket and the cylinder head, may need to get the cooling system pressure tested, and a Comp test on the cylinders done to check for any surprises

........Age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth and skill.......

CORTINA 250 2V POWER soon to be AUXR8 Windsor pwrd

.............WINDSOR WARLORD WHO CARRIES THE CLEVO MAFIA AND BROKEN BOSSES...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
Quote of the weekend: "The quarter mile wasn't as long as I expected it to be".
Whoosha is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2011, 05:40 PM   #3
peterban
AULTD

I will do a compression test tomorrow to see if that will tell me anything.

Will the plugs have any indications so that I know what side it is?

It is rather strange that it only empties the coolant bottle with the pressure.
The car is definitely not overheating at the moment.
I think you can get a cooling system check that checks for combustion gas in the water so this might be my next step.
I don't really want to drive it too far at this stage.
Old 15-04-2011, 06:12 PM   #4
Boza
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah mate any decent mechanic can perform that test for ya i looked into buying a kit when I had headgasket issues with my eb xr6 I had the test done but it showed nothing.

But when starting and running the car the cooling system almost pressurised from start up indicating a combustion leak.

Also a good test that a mechanic can do for you is to leave the cap off the radiator and just put the gas analyzer probe over the filler neck on the header tank if any gasses start to show up on the gas analyzer means you got a combustion leak.
Boza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2011, 10:55 PM   #5
AMB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always has a helpful answer in the technical sections, wether it's giving information on a simple diagnosis with a small issue, Helping someone fix their car if they are stuck on removing/installing something, or just need information on what works how. 

The new cap, it is the right type? A non-recovery one?
AMB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2011, 12:39 AM   #6
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

sounds like either a head gasket cracked head or coroded water jacket you'll need to rip the heads of regardless for these things

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2011, 07:34 AM   #7
superyob
Banned

Is the engine missing at idle? Does alot of vapour come out of the exhaust pipe on start up?
superyob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2011, 01:45 PM   #8
peterban
AULTD

Took all the plugs out this morning and nothing seems abnormal.
Tried to do a compression test but my compression tester doesn't fit in the small plug holes!!!
There is no indication at idle of a miss and no extra vapour coming from exhaust on start up.
It seems to pump the water out once it gets up to operating temp and only while driving.
Doesn't do anything when warmed up and idling with full expansion tank.
The new cap I bought was the one specified for the AU V8.

If it is the head how will I tell which side it is?

Thanks for all those that have posted.
Old 16-04-2011, 05:39 PM   #9
Boza
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mate sounds like you didn't get all the air out

I think there was a bloke on here that had the same problem with an nc v8 lane try doing a search for the thread he had the same dramas but turned out he didn't get all the air out properly.

I'm thinking of getting one of theese myself its an airlock eliminator
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/U-Vie...item35b0da2492
Boza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2011, 06:14 PM   #10
peterban
AULTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMB
The new cap, it is the right type? A non-recovery one?
I just looked on the radiator cap and it says recovery.
Maybe they sold me the wrong cap.
I will be pleased if it turns out it is only the cap.
Will buy another one tomorrow.
A neighbor had a pressure tester and the system is holding pressure so he doesn't think it is a head gasket.
Old 16-04-2011, 06:44 PM   #11
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

sounds like it might be the go.

not sure what brand you got, but according to the tridon website there are 2 different listings

CA20135 which is the equivalent of the one you were given (the recovery type)
and
CN20135 which is the non recovery type, which is the one you need.

as i said, these are just off the tridon site, but i'd say different brands would be the same
bodes-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2011, 07:21 PM   #12
AMB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always has a helpful answer in the technical sections, wether it's giving information on a simple diagnosis with a small issue, Helping someone fix their car if they are stuck on removing/installing something, or just need information on what works how. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterban
I just looked on the radiator cap and it says recovery.
Maybe they sold me the wrong cap.
I will be pleased if it turns out it is only the cap.
Will buy another one tomorrow.
A neighbor had a pressure tester and the system is holding pressure so he doesn't think it is a head gasket.
Hehe, that will do it, a recovery one is suppose to let the coolant out the overflow into an expansion tank, then recover it as the temp cools down. Take it back and complain, don't buy a new one. The plugs often tell you if you have a head gasket problem, one of them will be spotless and washed clean by the leaking coolant.
Old 17-04-2011, 05:13 AM   #13
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

If it isn't the wrong cap !.......I had the same problem once (not in an AU) , but it just ended up being the thermostat was jamming, not not opening now and then and causing the radiator to overheat a tad and pressurise and dump it out of the overflow now and then, maybe just need a new thermostat ??? maybe ? , cheers.

:eclipsee_
XR6-VCT-2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2011, 03:19 PM   #14
peterban
AULTD

Thanks for all the replies.
I went to Bursons this morning and asked for a cap.
The sales guy looks in the tridon book and says there are 2 listed for the AU, a recovery and non recovery one.
I said I will have the non recovery one which was the sum total of $5.95.
When I bought the recovery one from autobarn the guy there didn't ask me what type.
I wonder why they have both listed. I thought all the AU's had header tanks and so would be non recovery type.
I haven't taken the LTD out for a spin yet but I am hopeful that this will fix the problem.
It is certainly a trap for the unwary as I didn't realise there were 2 different types of radiator caps!!!!
Thanks again for all the help as I was resigned to the fact that the head had blown a gasket.
Old 17-04-2011, 06:55 PM   #15
AMB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterban
..................I wonder why they have both listed. I thought all the AU's had header tanks and so would be non recovery type............
So did I. The recovery ones are the ones that screw on to the top of the radiator, and the overflow from the radiator goes to the expansion tank. Like my old XF. Even the EA had the expansion tank set up, with no radiator cap on the radiator, didn't it?
Old 18-04-2011, 09:00 PM   #16
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

If you dont have success then get the water system pressurised. I blew a little hose last week and my first thoughts were head gasket too. That test will show a leak

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2011, 10:23 PM   #17
peterban
AULTD

Took the LTD for a 20km run with the new cap on and the water level dropped a little but at least it didn't push it all out the overflow.
Hopefully this has fixed the problem.
All I need now is a new exhaust system and a leaking pinion seal fixed.
Old 18-04-2011, 11:10 PM   #18
AMB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The level might drop a little as it works any air bubbles out of the system. Give it a few days. I put a pencil line on my reservoir, makes it easy to see if level has changed.
Old 21-04-2011, 10:13 PM   #19
peterban
AULTD

The new cap slowed down the amount of coolant loss but on a trip of about 100km it drops to about half way.
The next trip it dropped to about a quarter and the low level warning light comes on.
I put a bottle under the overflow hose and it is definitely coming out the overflow.
The car runs fine with acceleration etc but has a slight miss when accelerating from 100kmh.
Old 27-04-2011, 12:15 AM   #20
AMB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Might have to check for exhaust gas in the coolant. Or maybe its like XR6-VCT-2000 said.
Old 30-05-2011, 08:39 PM   #21
peterban
AULTD

Just an update on the LTD.
I replaced the thermostat and hoses and the water level has not moved off max for the past 2 weeks.
It looks as though the old thermostat was only opening just before boiling point and so causing pressure in the system and pushing it out the overflow pipe.
I also pulled the gas convertor out and look what was inside!!

I have changed the convertor for a new one and this has now fixed my miss at 100Kph.
I think the car was starving for fuel!!!!
I now have a squeal on start up that is coming from the synchroniser so I have ordered one from Rocket in the USA.
I now need to replace the exhaust system as the two centre mufflers have rusted out.
Old 30-05-2011, 08:49 PM   #22
Whoosha
AU DIE HARD
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the things you do behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Sounds like your having as much fun as me Got a mate that can do a Zorst system at the rite price Pete send me a PM if you want more info.

Quote:
Old 12-06-2011, 11:30 PM   #23
peterban
AULTD

It's all fun and games.
Thanks for letting me know about the exhaust place.
The new synchroniser came from Rocket industries in America 5 days after ordering it.
I replaced it today ( easy job ) the longest part of the process was removing the coils to access the synchroniser.
The old one was certainly had it as it squeaked like mad just when turning it by hand.
Has anyone pulled the synchroniser apart and replaced the bearings?
If so where did you buy the bearings and how much were they?
How hard a job is it.
I realise the small pins have to be knocked out and the beveled gear has to be removed. Do the bearings then come out with the shaft or do you have to pry them from the housing.
Old 08-03-2012, 12:00 AM   #24
b2tf
not here much anymore

I'm digging up an old thread here but the XR8 is having the same coolant issue - no leaks, new thermostat but losing coolant at a fairly rapid rate. I am 99% sure the cap I got was the recovery type so I will change it for the non recovery and see how that goes, other than that got no idea. No milky oil etc either.
Old 08-03-2012, 10:21 PM   #25
Whoosha
AU DIE HARD
Donating Member1

Chuck a coke bottle on the over flow (like at the drags ) and see if it's filling it, that way at least you eliminate 1 more source .

Quote:
Old 08-03-2012, 10:46 PM   #26
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoosha
Chuck a coke bottle on the over flow (like at the drags ) and see if it's filling it, that way at least you eliminate 1 more source .
Yah thats the plan but im almost certain thats what it is.
Old 09-03-2012, 02:16 AM   #27
peterban
AULTD

Mine took a bit to settle down but it is now not using any coolant.
The different caps are certainly a trap.
Good luck and I hope it is just the cap.
Old 09-03-2012, 09:38 AM   #28
EBTom
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I was having a similar issue, turns out I was simply over-filling the overflow bottle. Was used to the 4L where you could fill it up to the brim and it would stay there. Re-filled the bottle on the 5L to about 3/4 and hasnt budged since.
Food for thought.....

Former Rides:
EB1 FAIRMONT – 4.0, A4, FULL EXHAUST, WADE 1004, TIP J3, 18” BA XR8’S, SUPERLOWS, SPRINT KIT,
AU1 FAIRMONT GHIA – 5.0, A4, 3" CATBACK, 20" VERSUS WRAITH, ULTRALOWS, TICKFORD & MOMO GOODIES
EBTom is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2012, 08:23 PM   #29
auIILTD
5.6L x 2 pilot
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the effort put into the Australia day cruise to Albury Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: AU Tech article. 

Hi peterban. First AUII LTD other than mine that I have seen (or heard about) on here. Aren't they an awesome car. Would love to know more. What is the build date of yours? Russellw informs me that there where only 100 made in 2002. Any pics of yours? I am the owner of au2ltd.com if you are interested in checking mine out. Would love to host some pics of yours too if you are keen.

Well done on sorting out your issue. Trying times.

Stu

5.6L 342ci T3 Short, AFR165 heads, Comp XE270HR-12 Cam, Brembo 4/4s(355/330), T3 5 spokes, LC-1 wideband, Whiteline HD swaybars, TCE 3K Hi Stall, PWR Auto Trans Cooler, Koni shocks, King Low Springs, Hurricane headers, 100 cpsi cats, Twin 2.5" exhaust.

Quarter Mile: 13.73 @ 105.86mph

Runner Up NA/DA to BF Fairlane/LTD Geelong AFD 2024

2002 XR8 pursuit 250

Custom twin 2.5" exhaust w Herrod modifed extractors, Tuned with Moates QH
auIILTD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2012, 06:34 PM   #30
4ford

Peterban....
In response to your question re the bearings for the syncronizer, there's a chain of outlets known as "Consolidated Bearings Ltd" that has a bearing for anything, and I mean anything, give them a try, make sure you take a sample bearing for sizing.
4ford
4ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post