Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 27-06-2012, 08:26 PM   #1
BHDOGS
Banned

Default How to change brake fluid on au v8

I'm ashamed to admit I've never done it i can do pads and rotors and i figure this wjll complete my knowledge however now my au has become my project and I got a free bottle of penrite dot 4 on the way it's encouraged me now I got the general idea however what size clear hose do I need for a snug fit on the bleed nipples or do I need a proper au plug thingmabob also I read you have to invert the front calipers? Also any tutorials written up for us newbie mechanics on this issue? Cheers In advance my fellow auvians

BHDOGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2012, 09:23 PM   #2
BHDOGS
Banned

Default Re: How to change brake fluid on au v8

Nobody does there own? Lol
BHDOGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2012, 09:53 PM   #3
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Default Re: How to change brake fluid on au v8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHDOGS
Nobody does there own? Lol
We certainly do. At least us I6 owners anyway! LOL!

I don't know about inverting the calipers, but buy a proper bleeding tool. That will help heaps. If you buy the bleeding tool with the ball bearing setup, it will be quite a simple job, as this setup keeps the pressure in the line the whole time. Just be careful to ensure you have the rubber hose properly mounted on the nipple.

Take off the wheel in turn, undo (loosen) the bleed nipple, attach the bleeding tool hose. Have the ring spanner under the bleeding tool hose, so you can easily nip it up when the clean fluid comes through.

I would place rags around the fluid reservoir, in case you miss when pouring the new fluid in.

A nice trick I got off JC was using a syringe (before you start the bleeding process) to suck up sludge from the bottom of the reservoir so you don't have to pump it through the calipers. I found some gets caught in the creases down the bottom of the reservior, and so I used some rag on a screwdriver to get rid of it.

Do the wheels in this order. Rear Left, Rear Right, Front Left, Front Right.

Pump fluid through until it's nice and clean, then nip up the nipple. I get a mate to help me. One pumps the pedal whilst the other checks the fluid. I usually nip up the nipple as the pedal is being pushed down.

Move to the next wheel.

Here's one I wrote a while ago. It's got motorbike pics, but you should get the idea.

Brake Bleeding
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showpos...7&postcount=49

All the best with it.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2012, 10:51 PM   #4