Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 28-06-2012, 11:25 PM   #1
vesssh

Default Xenon Headlights

I am wanting to purchase some xenon headlights for my AU XR8.

H4 = low beam head lights
H1 = high beam

As I am wanting a high/low beam xenon kit, what do I actually have to purchase?

I was looking at getting a 6000K Xenon High/Low beam kit, but what do I do about the H1 light?

Does this mean I have to purchase a High/Low beam H4 kit and also a H1 kit?

Cheers in advance

vesssh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2012, 11:31 PM   #2
b2tf
not here much anymore

Default Re: Xenon Headlights

You'll probably get a million answers and opinions on this, but here is mine :

HID/xenon kits are illegal for road use, its not a major massive 'you will get caught' thing, but it is important to know all the same.

To do it yes you will need a kit containing the HID/Xenon bulb, the ballast and igniter, and all wiring etc. I sell these kits at work for about $110 and we fitted one to an FG F6 on Wednesday with very good results.

I would be unsure as to how well they will work in an AU due simply to the design of the headlights, theyre a fairly primitive design in terms of the reflectors in the light and the reflectors are what are going to decide how well the HID works.
Old 29-06-2012, 09:00 AM   #3
MNM96
LIFELONG DJR SUPPORTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf

I would be unsure as to how well they will work in an AU due simply to the design of the headlights, theyre a fairly primitive design in terms of the reflectors in the light and the reflectors are what are going to decide how well the HID works.
The round headlamp gives the perfect reflector design. The AU XR was heralded as having the best lighting of any car available in australia at the time.Sorry, I can't help with an answer on HID lights.
MNM96 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2012, 01:53 PM   #4
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

It's only illegal to run HID in your low beam or in a combination light,ie. a H4 Hi/lo unless you have a self levelling system of some kind adjustable from inside the cabin AND headlight washers, but it is quite legal to run driving lights such as your H1s'. Yes you will need separate kits for the H4 and H1s' and yes the H1s' will do a mega job . I run HID in my Fairlane and they have a similar 5" lens as the XR and mine get 500m of penetration and flood the side of the road for 10-15m. Just run a quality +50-70-100 or even a 90/100w H4 and the HID in your H1 and you'll have more than enough light.

Bushbasher

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2012, 03:37 PM   #5
Reaper8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

sorry but i reckon the au standard lights **** all over the xr one's.
Reaper8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2012, 03:50 PM   #6
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Put a HID light into a halogen reflector, its going to cause serious issues because it will throw light all over the place and blind other drivers. You could retrofit a HID projector inside the AU headlight if you have some patience.

I'm actually doing a HID conversion on my Focus, but I'm using genuine parts from Ford Europe, the European Focus actually had HIDs as an option so different story for me, much easier.

Check out a forum user here called MAD and how he did it properly on his EL:

About half way down:

http://fordforums.com.au/showpost.ph...56&postcount=3
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2012, 09:00 PM   #7
HLC
Audi S3

I ran HID's in my Fairmont for 4 years. No dramas with da fuzz.

I did have them behind custom projectors though.