Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 10-08-2012, 11:38 PM   #1
Pursya

Default Boomerang Armrest

I have purchased this;
http://www.boomco.com/products.php?p...etCurrencyId=3

And it has arrived today, so a weekend job beckons. I even had to buy a new socket set!
Anyone done this before? Any tips appreciated.
I will try and document the process for those who may want and give it a go.
Here's the start....
Box;

2 Part unit;

Connected;

Slide out cup holder;

Open;

Pursya is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2012, 11:43 PM   #2
Pursya

Default Re: Boomerang Armrest

Instructions;

Old 11-08-2012, 12:05 AM   #3
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've got a similar unit for the Focus. To be honest, I wasn't sure how it would go, and whether I would ultimately want to keep it, so I didn't screw it in - I used double sided tape instead.

And after 12 months it's still in place.

If you can do something similar, I'd try that first, so see if you like it or not. You can always screw it in later, and the double sided tape would help make sure the thing didn't move

Hers: 2020 Ford Puma JK: 1.0 Ecoboost 3-cylinder, 7-speed DCT in Frozen White.
In Focus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2012, 12:16 AM   #4
Pursya

I have seen the armrest that you have on ebay.
Do you have to modify the vehicle in any way? Like drill holes etc?
The Boomerang requires no drilling or cutting. This is what attracted me to it. That and the excellent reviews about build quality, which just opening the box I could see were correct.
I can install this and if not suitable remove it without leaving a mark. Very clever.
Old 11-08-2012, 01:05 AM   #5
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yes, mine needs drilling to make it permanent, but as I said, double sided tape is holding it. So far.

Old 11-08-2012, 11:37 AM   #6
Pursya

After 12 months, I doubt it is going anywhere.
Must be very good double sided tape.
Old 11-08-2012, 02:20 PM   #7
vhcbm
having Fiesta withdrawals

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Ford couldn't fix my BlueTooth issue. This member posted a download link, with instruction, on how to do it myself. One week on, the unit hasn't played up once. Three different dealers told me to virtually 'Live with it. 

I have thought about one a few times. Saw one that also has a drink holder under the armrest part. Only thing I don't like about them is that they would make it awkward to get to the Handbrake.

Past: 2009 Ford Fiesta LX in Vision Blue - Sold
vhcbm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2012, 08:09 PM   #8
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by vhcbm
I have thought about one a few times. Saw one that also has a drink holder under the armrest part. Only thing I don't like about them is that they would make it awkward to get to the Handbrake.
It is a bit awkward, I admit. It would might also be a deal-breaker if you have a manual.

Old 11-08-2012, 09:24 PM   #9
Pursya

Quote:
Originally Posted by vhcbm

I have installed the unit, will post install pics later.
This unit has a cup holder that slides out;

I have no real problem using the handbrake. Would only ever be an issue if doing a handbrake turn........
Old 12-08-2012, 12:28 AM   #10
Pursya

Before...

Remove cupholders

Remove & discard plate that holds plastic console down

Exposed handbrake cable holder. You need to remove the bolts holding this down as it is anchor point for the armrest rear support.
What I did find is that the Aussie Fiesta has a different bolt set up than the Euro specs.
In the Boomerang instructions it states that the nuts need to be removed & discarded from the brake cable holder. This would leave "studs" that allow the supplied M10 spacers to be fitted.
The aussie version uses a bolt here, not a nut. So I removed those, cut the heads off and reinserted them with locktite to create "studs".

Rear support fitted over handbrake cable

Another view of support bolted in.

Plastic console/cupholders replaced and armrest slide in to place with 4 bolts holding it.

Success!

All up about an hour to install, and that included the modifications to the bolts.
Very hard to separate the initial bits of plastic in the console.
But the unit is STRONG. I reckon I can lean maybe half my body weight on to it without any flex.

If you've got a spare 200 bucks, well worth the effort.
Old 11-09-2012, 12:21 AM   #11
aidos
Starter Motor

Yikes, expensive - looks mega practical tho
aidos is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2012, 12:04 PM   #12
AG3

Fiesta accessory offered by Ford in some markets.
http://www.ford.com.ph/servlet/Satel...allery-overlay
Part Number: A66SX645A62AB
AG3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2012, 08:46 PM   #13
Pursya

Quote:
Originally Posted by AG3
Fiesta accessory offered by Ford in some markets.
http://www.ford.com.ph/servlet/Satel...allery-overlay
Part Number: A66SX645A62AB
Price?
Old 14-09-2012, 12:07 AM   #14
AG3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pursya
Price?
I'm not sure of its price, its offered by Ford in some markets like Thailand and the Philippines, its imported from the UK.
I noticed its not listed in the Australian Ford website.
AG3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2012, 02:49 PM   #15
Caydus

Just ordered my own now

Eagerly awaiting the delivery. How did you remove the trim covering the handbrake cable though? I couldn't get it off last time when we were servicing and ended up adjusting the cable lying under the rear axle.
Caydus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2012, 05:07 PM   #16
Pursya

Extremely hard to get apart, but possible.
You need a small flat screwdriver. Just insert towards the rear of the console and gently pry the two sections apart. They are really connected so don't be surprised at how hard you have to go. Be brave!
At the 2:20 mark of this video you can see how the clips are set up.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SzaI9Ch-us
Ours are very similar though not exactly the same.

Good luck, post pics.
Old 02-01-2013, 09:49 PM   #17
Pursya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caydus View Post
Just ordered my own now

Eagerly awaiting the delivery. How did you remove the trim covering the handbrake cable though? I couldn't get it off last time when we were servicing and ended up adjusting the cable lying under the rear axle.
So?
How'd you go?
Old 04-01-2013, 01:12 PM   #18
Caydus

Still waiting on delivery...

First it was stock shortage, then it was incorrect shipping charges.

It'll be very hard for me to recommend buying from Boomco to anyone.

Apparently it's shipped now with a tracking number. According to that it left San Francisco on 2/1/13.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:25 PM   #19
Pursya

I also got the incorrect shipping at order. But buying regularly from the States I knew that the shipping quoted was wrong and expected it.
Still, having had this issue with my international order I would have expected them to have fixed it by now.
While I have no doubt you have a sour taste in your mouth, which is understandable, I'm sure you will have a grin cheek to cheek the first time you head out with your left arm comfortably resting on the product. It is that good.
Old 03-02-2013, 02:21 AM   #20
Caydus

So it's arrived and I've fitted it.

The centre console in our Fiesta is definitely not the same as the Euros. The centre console under the cupholders is actually melted together. When I pulled the centre console apart, the melts ripped out too. Not sure why they melted it though, no extra rattles and the centre console comes back together solidly.

I had to do the same thing with the bolts. I did it with a mechanic mate of mine so he had studs to replace the OEMs though. Loctite is very highly recommended given the amount of torque that will be put on those studs, you certainly don't want any give in them.

The faux leather on the top feels great and the plastic surrounds look very OEM. Matches exactly with the silvery plastic around the air vents and headunit.
The arm going up is solid aluminium and weighs a fair bit too and when fitted, the whole thing is solid. There is a bit of give in the armrest when I really lean into it, but much less than expected for a unit of that kind of design.

As a warning though: Do not get the Boomerang XT Armrest if your Fiesta is a Manual

The reason why I say that is because when the armrest is down, it does make reaching the handbrake and gearshift quite awkward.

I find that the armrest does fundamentally alter my driving position. Cruising down a highway on cruise control, having the armrest there feels amazingly comfy. Doing quick turns around the city though and I find i almost always keep the armrest up because i keep banging my left elbow into it.
To be fair, I have fairly long arms. The armrest is almost completely irrelevant to my sister. She even manages to get to the gearstick and handbrake without all the issues I have.

Overall, it's certainly a nice piece of kit. Does its job and Boomco gave it's best shot at making the best armrest for the Fiesta and it shows. But I'm still concerned about it's longevity, considering all it's moving parts and despite it's quality and how OEM it looks, how it gets in the way of the gearshift and handbrake certainly doesn't feel OEM.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:27 PM   #21
Pursya

I have a manual.
I am 6 foot 5 inches.
I have no problem with gears or handbrake.
The Mrs is 5 foot 1 inch and with the seat so far forward she cannot even use the armrest.
But I love it. Cruised up to Whitfield last weekend so a bit of twist and turn with plenty of gear movement. fantastic!
Old 09-02-2013, 11:44 PM   #22
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pursya View Post
I am 6 foot 5 inches.
Man, I'm just pushing 6 inches....

Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post