Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 04-12-2012, 05:54 PM   #1
Zedjay
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default your thoughts on the F250

im thinking about buying a 2000 - 2004 model F250..
i dont know a lot about them (i have done a search) other than their HUGE lol

what im after here is..what spec is the best to get..
i like the 7.3 TD V8 Auto 4x4..

so who has owned one and what was it like...

Zedjay is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2012, 06:53 PM   #2
Drizz06
XR50th

Default Re: your thoughts on the F250

You might have better luck asking in the F series section for more detail info.
From my experience they are huge! the Super duty is not really suited to our roads/car packs etc.
So unless you have a need for it may i suggest the F150? They are much better built (f250's were built in Brazil) where as the 150's are true homegrown USA Built ford tough trucks.
11th gen 2004 150's use the P2 platform and look much more like smaller super duties and less ute'ish if that makes sense lol. The Harley Davidson model would be my pick
Runabout- 1997 XH longreach in white.
Project- 1976 ZH fairlane 500
Drizz06 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2012, 12:08 AM   #3
OffRoadFalcon
"Flooded it mate?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zedjay View Post
im thinking about buying a 2000 - 2004 model F250..
i dont know a lot about them (i have done a search) other than their HUGE lol

what im after here is..what spec is the best to get..
i like the 7.3 TD V8 Auto 4x4..

so who has owned one and what was it like...
Hey,

All I can say is keep awn thinkin'!

I can tell you quite a lot about them, being a fanatic of these trucks and my uncle owns one. PM me if you want more details than I'm posting below.

They are a HUGE truck, depending on which body you get. My Uncle's truck is a metallic Red 2005 Ford F250 Auto 7.3L Turbo Diesel V8 XLT RN dual cab with a canopy and bullbar. You look down on all other 4wds, and check out the bird crap on their roof. Dwarfs every other dual cab. The hugely long wheelbase also makes for a comfortable ride.

The engine, it's a masterpiece. They're known to last forever if maintained well, one bloke in the USA clocked over 1,500,000 miles in his truck, and Ford offered him a brand new one when they heard, only to be declined till his 7.3 finally dies so I hear! My uncle has done well over 400,000kms in his, and still runs like it did new.
It sounds like a truck, very loud but a fantastic growl to it, the turbo sounds fantastic too. When revved the V8 sound booms from the exhaust. It's my favourite engine of all just because of the sound, power, and reliability! Fuel economy is surprisingly good as well.
Unlike the new Toyota V8 diesels, it sounds like a diesel, quite a loud imposing engine, and also a V8. Sometimes the 5.4 Toyota unit can be mistaken for a petrol!

Parking is a slight issue if you're not the type who enjoys the challenge as I do. In shoppin centre carpark it's at least a metre too long so he often has to take two spaces. Personally I love the size and the engine too much for that to ever be a deal breaker.

Space as you can imagine is plenty.

The 4sp automatic is a good gearbox from what I know, handles the truck well. Sounds better as an auto as well!

Cheers
Chris
OffRoadFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2012, 12:10 AM   #4
OffRoadFalcon
"Flooded it mate?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drizz06 View Post
You might have better luck asking in the F series section for more detail info.
From my experience they are huge! the Super duty is not really suited to our roads/car packs etc.
So unless you have a need for it may i suggest the F150? They are much better built (f250's were built in Brazil) where as the 150's are true homegrown USA Built ford tough trucks.
11th gen 2004 150's use the P2 platform and look much more like smaller super duties and less ute'ish if that makes sense lol. The Harley Davidson model would be my pick
The F150 is nice, but it's not quite as capable, obviously, and the petrol V8 engines like their drink a bit more.
Old 05-12-2012, 12:42 AM   #5
TC200six
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You wait for the 'experts' who have never been in one start saying bad things about them...

Things you have to remember is shopping center car parks - forget it! Unless it's during a quiet time with plenty of empty spots to maneuver over.

I've taken one for a drive and they are very car-like on the open road. Because they use different indicator switches to Aussie Fords, the indicator automatically cancels out when entering a roundabout when making a right.

If you are really interested in getting one and find one well looked after, I'd say go for it.
TC200six is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2012, 11:51 AM   #6
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Fantastic trucks, on the market for one myself.
Have heard many many stories of just how tough they are, as well as how durable the powerstroke engine is.
Apparently there is an upper oil reservoir which runs the injectors which needs to be drained and flushed separately ever 3 or 4 services because it acts like a bit of a trap for crap. You can check out heaps of info at http//:www.powerstrokehelp.com

Bill Hewitt is in Beaufort Georgia and does nothing but Power Stroke Diesels.
He agrees that the 7.3 is an amazing engine which is near bullet proof, simply because it doesn't have all the later restrictive emissions gear on it which cause a lot of issues on the later 6.0 and 6.4 IDI diesels.

Expect to pay big dollars (over 60K) for a 7.3 F250 with low K's, everyone who has to tow horse floats or large caravans wants them.

Quote:
Powered by GE
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2012, 11:59 AM   #7
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Make sure you go with the 7.3.... I have a client with one and as above its bullet proof. He bought it new in 2005.... I have another client with a 5.4 and its pretty good too, but heavy on juice and hes had a fair amount of issues with the cooling system etc in it.

Nice trucks but they are getting a bit old now, its very hard to find a good one that hasn't done 200,000 kms / been knocked around.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2012, 01:08 PM   #8
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I want one but they are too expensive in Australia.
7.3l would be the way to go I have heard.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2012, 01:41 PM   #9
TC200six
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The 5.4 petrol was only available in 2WD from what I remember. So they wouldn't be the best. There was also a 4.2 diesel in XL trim that came in manual. I'd imagine they would be a little gutless for the size of the vehicle. That's why the 7.3 is the best, but as ltd said the prices are still rather high as their resale value went up.
TC200six is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2012, 07:10 PM   #10
BlueFG2

My dad had a 2004 7.3L diesel that he bought new, sold it only about a year ago, awesome car, fairly impracticable due to their size but it could take a hell of a beating and was pretty quick off the lights after a tune.

He raised the ride height, fitted a monster sized bull bar, had it tuned and put in a larger fuel tank.

He regrets selling it now but it had done several hundred thousand kilometers and it wasn't driven softly either.
BlueFG2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2012, 09:06 PM   #11
PRO-GT

they are fantastic trucks mate
my old man had one and he regrets selling it to buy a gt
looking to get one back actually
some of you may remember it if you ever attended the 4x4 and camping shows it sat on the steps outside a couple of times
awesome motors and very spacious inside would highly recommend one
here is a photo of it: ( the tyres in the picture are 35" and they look tiny )
2007 BF GT Cobra 6 spd manual #43- SOLD
2016 Mustang GT - Current
2010 XR6 Turbo 50th Anniversary - Sold
2006 BF MKII XR6 Turbo Seduce - Sold
2006 BF MKI F6 Typhoon Toxic - Current
PRO-GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2012, 11:10 PM   #12
OffRoadFalcon
"Flooded it mate?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobrgt View Post
some of you may remember it if you ever attended the 4x4 and camping shows it sat on the steps outside a couple of times

Don't get much more perfect than this! Just needs side steps that go all the way along IMO!
Old 06-12-2012, 01:49 AM   #13
PRO-GT

here is a few more pics

2007 BF GT Cobra 6 spd manual #43- SOLD
2016 Mustang GT - Current
2010 XR6 Turbo 50th Anniversary - Sold
2006 BF MKII XR6 Turbo Seduce - Sold
2006 BF MKI F6 Typhoon Toxic - Current
PRO-GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2012, 02:31 AM   #14
Buntz
Straight Eight

I saw what I think was an F250 this morning. Dark Blue, no canopy, chrome roll bar with spotties.

Oh my... it was HAWT!
Old 06-12-2012, 03:49 AM   #15
veqlargh

They are indeed awesome cars to have. Mine is quite an older model with a 460 petrol engine. Only heard good things about the 7.3l diesel, would have bought one if i could afford it.

As a car i find it pretty solid, though only taken it off road twice. It may seem impractical but everyone comes around in the end and grows to love it. Petrol is pretty steep especially for a 24 year old model but if you can live with that its got advantages over most other utes.

They are big cars but not unreasonably so. I work at a shopping center and can basically park it in between 2 cars every time. Though it does involve me swinging out to get a nice angle. There have been a few places i gave up on parking but most are fine. On a side note fast food drive ways are a very tight squeeze.

My only two gripes (and they are small ones) would be that; as an extended cab it cant really seat 4 people. Dual cabs would fix this but lose out on tray space i believe. The front is incredibly spacious and comfortable. The other thing is the turning circle is quite large. Discovered i can't turn around in my cul de sac or do u-turns at T-junctions.
veqlargh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2012, 12:07 PM   #16
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Made for America and American expectations of "build quality", and built to a price. The words "reverse Tardis" have been used sometimes to describe some models of it...less space inside than the outside size of the thing would suggest. Guys I know that own them defend them fiercely...but then turn around and bemoan the fuel costs and other running costs.

Nothing more really needs to be said...plenty better four wheel drives and big utes from other manufacturers...or even dare I say a Ranger...they have the "corporate big ute" look of the F250 anyway now.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2012, 12:26 PM   #17
Ford_The_Win
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E View Post
Made for America and American expectations of "build quality", and built to a price. The words "reverse Tardis" have been used sometimes to describe some models of it...less space inside than the outside size of the thing would suggest. Guys I know that own them defend them fiercely...but then turn around and bemoan the fuel costs and other running costs.

Nothing more really needs to be said...plenty better four wheel drives and big utes from other manufacturers...or even dare I say a Ranger...they have the "corporate big ute" look of the F250 anyway now.
Have you ever owned and/or driven one? You're just parroting Jeremy Clarkson. The build quality is on par with a '90s model Falcon, so it's not fantastic but not terrible, and they have acres of space inside, the bench seat models can seat three 100kg men comfortably. I've spent plenty of time behind the wheel of F-150s, an F-250 and Silverados and I thoroughly enjoyed driving them all. The road presence and size, and towing capacity of them is fantastic. I don't think I'd buy one because I don't think I'd ever need a car like that, but I completely get the appeal. I gotta admit though, I really struggled with the F-250 because of the size. It was just too damned big for me, I couldn't live with a car that big. An F-150 or Silverado is as big as I'd go.
Ford_The_Win is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 06-12-2012, 12:37 PM   #18
OffRoadFalcon
"Flooded it mate?"

Quote:

Depends on what you need it for! For some there will be a better truck available for their use, others the F250 is the only one to consider! My uncle uses his to carry and tow big loads of sandalwood to Perth, and the sheer size of it is perfect.

Personally I'd mostly get one because of the size and the engine!
Old 06-12-2012, 03:44 PM   #19
66FAIRLANE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Built Ford Tough.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qD5hhErLcqw
66FAIRLANE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2012, 04:15 PM   #20
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_The_Win View Post
The build quality is on par with a '90s model Falcon, so it's not fantastic but not terrible
For the price they ask, I'd be expecting better than that...guy I work with has one, an extra cab, for which he paid nearly $90,000...and it certainly isn't anything to shout about. The towing capacity is only about the same or less than a lot of four wheel drives that will be a lot more comfortable and use half the fuel...
There's a reason that they're dirt cheap in the USA and they sell hundreds of thousands of them a year. Build them quickly and cheaply, chuck them out the door, and expect repeat buyers every year or two as they get rid of trashed old ones. That's not knocking them, that's just the way they market a lot of vehicles in the USA, built down to a price, and it shows.

If you want one for the image, hey, go for it. Just don't pretend there aren't a lot of more capable and useful vehicles on the market...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2012, 10:26 PM   #21
GTMOND

Not sure about the comfort part I would put them along way ahead of a cruiser Ute in the comfort stakes for sure. Cruiser utes are really ordinary in that department in my opi
GTMOND is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2012, 02:51 AM   #22
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
For the price they ask, I'd be expecting better than that...guy I work with has one, an extra cab, for which he paid nearly $90,000...and it certainly isn't anything to shout about. The towing capacity is only about the same or less than a lot of four wheel drives that will be a lot more comfortable and use half the fuel...
There's a reason that they're dirt cheap in the USA and they sell hundreds of thousands of them a year. Build them quickly and cheaply, chuck them out the door, and expect repeat buyers every year or two as they get rid of trashed old ones. That's not knocking them, that's just the way they market a lot of vehicles in the USA, built down to a price, and it shows.

If you want one for the image, hey, go for it. Just don't pretend there aren't a lot of more capable and useful vehicles on the market...
They will actually tow a lot more. They were initially rated in Australia for 3.5 tonne, then retested with a 70mm ball at 4.5 tonne. They have been tested and rated for about 8 tonne in America, so I am guessing they restricted it to 4.5 in Australia so that it can be driven on a car license. In America, you need a CDL only if you are towing the weight that requires it at the time (rather than based on capability).
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2012, 04:45 PM   #23
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

IF a 4 pot turbo diesel with 140 KW has a tow rate of 3.35 tonne, a behemoth of an F truck with turboed 7.3 L V8 will pull ayers rock outta the ground
These things absolutely will out pull any thing 4x4 toyota or nissan has to offer
Bloke in town pulls a positrac and huge trailer with his 6 pot F truck turbo diesel, dont see many nissans or toymotas doin that,actually his ol man has a 6.5 V8 diesel in a GU patrol ute, the F truck nails it in towing
An old timer in town tows a mini excavator of his F truck,machine alone would be 3,4 Tonne
You dont use these for towing 12 foot vans, they use em towing huuuge 5th wheel vans,something the lesser rated cars couldnt do

If i could afford to buy an F truck id have one here,theres nothin thatll tow like it
The reason they are big sellers in USA is, anything over 4.495 Tonne GVM here,you need a truck licence, but stateside somehow an F truck doesnt have that stipulation
So ol granma can drive an F350 fully laden well past 4.495 T and no issue
302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2012, 05:51 PM   #24
fanboi
Banned

Quote:

Name another locally sold car or 4wd that will tow over 4.5 tonnes legally
fanboi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2012, 08:06 PM   #25
OffRoadFalcon
"Flooded it mate?"

Because of the size and the weight alone they will tow more, they can handle big loads more safely. A 3.5t load being towed by an F250 will be much safer, especially in emergency situations, than a Hilux, Ranger, BT-50, Navara...etc. It has more cabability to keep under control.
The tray is also much larger.

I'm an enthuisast of these trucks, so I want one whether I have a reason or not.

I'd be completely happy to drive this every day right now, actually, I'd love every second of it. Parking is the main difficulty I believe, but I honestly don't care, the upsides far outweigh the downsides of owning one to me.

Any decision yet Zedjay?
Old 07-12-2012, 09:39 PM   #26
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

http://www.barbagallo.com.au/content...uck.htm?id=550
Old 07-12-2012, 10:37 PM   #27
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobrgt View Post

How long is it. 6-6.5 Metres?
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2012, 11:07 PM   #28
OffRoadFalcon
"Flooded it mate?"

Stock, they come in at about 6.2m long, add the bullbar length and you have about 6.5.

Discovered out garage is exactly 6.5m long, my uncle had to remove his towball fitment to get the door down! (was beginning to hail outside)
Old 08-12-2012, 01:56 AM   #29
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

You have no idea, unless you're confusing F250 for Land Cruiser.
The fact that used F250 prices were higher than rrp when Ford Au stopped selling them speaks for itself.
smoo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2012, 03:15 AM   #30
flooded one
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

a bloody good tow vehicle. will out tow any landcruiser. problem is there pretty dear. i'd own one. thou landcrusiers a good workhorses in saying that. shame the landcruiser utes are so ridged
flooded one is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post