Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 19-02-2013, 02:05 PM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Exclamation Another Brisbane Tunnel Goes Bankrupt

LESS than seven months after opening, the operators of Brisbane Airport Link have gone into voluntary administration.

The Board of BrisConnections has today informed the Australian Stock Exchange of its decision to appoint the McGrath Nicol Partnership as voluntary administrators.

The company has been in talks with lenders and other key stakeholders since last November when traffic levels fell well short of projections following the opening of the tunnel in late July.

At last count, about 45,000 vehicles a day were using the $4.8 billion roadway, 90,000 fewer than forecast.

Traffic volumes have declined steadily since the end of the toll-free period, despite the introduction of a discounted toll.

The tolls of $2, and $2.50 are due to increase in mid-April before rising again in October.

Operators had hoped the staggered introduction of the full-toll would help boost traffic volumes.

Non-executive Chairman Trevor Rowe said in a statement it was "disappointing the Board has had to reach this decision''.

"The Airport Link M7 is unquestionably a world class piece of transport infrastructure that will continue to support Brisbane's growth into the decades ahead,'' said Mr Rowe.

He said despite "extensive communication with the lenders and their advisers, the Board had not been able to reach agreement with the lending syndicate on the merits of the proposals".

The tunnel will remain open and available to road users as normal.

It is the second tollway to go broke shortly after opening.

In February 2011, receivers were appointed to RiverCity Motorway, who operate the Clem7 Tunnel.

A buyer has still not been found for the tollway which carries about 25,000 vehicles a day.
http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/q...-1226581072535

My Comment Why are they still building tunnels in Brisbane ,when they fail???? Legacy Way will go the same way. Here's a hint : lower the toll !!!

Last edited by csv8; 19-02-2013 at 02:06 PM. Reason: add link
csv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 19-02-2013, 02:11 PM   #2
mac_man_luke
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Another Brisbane Tunnel Goes Bankrupt

Is it to do with variable speed limits = heap of speed cameras = dont use because too risky?
Old 19-02-2013, 02:21 PM   #3
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

I've said it before and I'll say it again - there is no risk driving though these tunnels! You know the bloody cameras are there, keep it at 80!

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
9 users like this post:
Old 19-02-2013, 02:28 PM   #4
GCRXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Doomed from the start I would think. Even at full forcasted figures it would take 40 years to pay off. It would be due for replacement well before that.
Old 19-02-2013, 02:29 PM   #5
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Yep... The risk is minimal. I drive through one of these tunnels on a regular basis and have had no issues.

I think the cost is the biggest problem, many people do not value time like they should so they are happy to sit around in traffic rather then getting to their destination quicker.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2013, 02:29 PM   #6
GCRXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peuty View Post
I've said it before and I'll say it again - there is no risk driving though these tunnels! You know the bloody cameras are there, keep it at 80!
Too dificult for some.
Old 19-02-2013, 02:42 PM   #7
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I can't understand anyone investing in it in the first place, after the Clem7 debacle.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2013, 02:44 PM   #8
jpblue1000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Maybe, finally, people are beginning to realise that paying taxes for infrastructure, then paying tolls to a corporation who didn't pay for the use of the land, which was owned collectively by the people is wrong.
I avoid tolls like the plague as I will not line the coffers of these corporations.
JP
jpblue1000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2013, 02:51 PM   #9
Resurrection
I was correct - AGAIN

I wish Transurban would go bankrupt. Public infrastructure should remain in public hands. CityLink has been so profitable that Transurban now owns several toll roads.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transurban

Those profits should have gone back into the Victorian state coffers so the goverment could better fund roads, schools, hospitals etc.
Resurrection is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 19-02-2013, 03:16 PM   #10
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I do not care.

I will not use tunnels that have lots of speed cameras purely out of principle unless I absolutely have to and if so will travel at 30 or more km/h below the speed limit "for safety"......

I do exactly the same if I am forced to drive anywhere in Victoria, again, "for safety".

After all, any place that has lots of speed cameras MUST be a very dangerous place.......
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2013, 03:42 PM   #11
buggo
[BU66OS]

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist View Post
I do not care.

I will not use tunnels that have lots of speed cameras purely out of principle unless I absolutely have to and if so will travel at 30 or more km/h below the speed limit "for safety"......

I do exactly the same if I am forced to drive anywhere in Victoria, again, "for safety".

After all, any place that has lots of speed cameras MUST be a very dangerous place.......
I understand where you're coming from, but that's a bit unfair on the guy behind you. It's not his fault the speed cameras are there, he and everyone else held up in your rolling road block shouldn't be punished. As rare as the occosion might be.

BA XR8 Manual
buggo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 19-02-2013, 03:54 PM   #12
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggo View Post
I understand where you're coming from, but that's a bit unfair on the guy behind you. It's not his fault the speed cameras are there, he and everyone else held up in your rolling road block shouldn't be punished. As rare as the occosion might be.
No, no, no I am saving them too. Speed kills. My mission is to save the world. I am a born again do-gooder and Gatso is my saviour.

And of course there is always more than one lane.

But besides that, the whole thing is a LOT unfair on all road users and there are many many examples of people being fined unfairly and even some losing all 12 points in one trip through the Clem 7.
5 users like this post:
Old 19-02-2013, 04:08 PM   #13
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

I must say I find the whole concept of a privately developed and operated piece of road infrastructure to be foreign and puzzling. What happens in a case like this when the owner goes belly up, does the government get it by default, does the tunnel close etc?

At least in Wait Awhile the government builds, operates and maintains everything, even if we have to wait a generation for it!

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2013, 04:31 PM   #14
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior View Post
I must say I find the whole concept of a privately developed and operated piece of road infrastructure to be foreign and puzzling. What happens in a case like this when the owner goes belly up, does the government get it by default, does the tunnel close etc?

At least in Wait Awhile the government builds, operates and maintains everything, even if we have to wait a generation for it!
IF these builds were profitable from the get go, the government would be all over it like pimples on a 14 year old ....
Why does the government now tender all these jobs out,because they then dont have the worry of the huge loss
Some muppet from the government would have done the numbers on this roadway before it was even started
302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2013, 04:36 PM   #15
GCRXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

That's why we have governments isn't? To set laws, protect the citizens, provide essential services (health, policing, communications, electricity, transport) and to build the infrastructure to provide the services for its citizens by way of taxation. Someone somewhere decided that privatisation is the way to go. Hre's the proof .... no profits for board members/investors/share holders = no infrastructure or services.
Old 19-02-2013, 04:41 PM   #16
jpblue1000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

From my reading on the subject, cash strapped Governments invite these private organisations along to build the infrastructure (roads) to satisfy the 'Communities need' In return the Organisations have rights to charge tolls for the use of the road, hopefully making a profit over the 25-30-35-40 years the agreement is in place. once the term ends the road returns to 'Government' ownership ( do they remove the tolls???) The deal allows the 'required infrastructure' at minimal cost to Government, however the corporations are great at demanding extras from the government sweetening the deals.
In less aboveboard dealings there have been accusations of governments closing down or rendering un-useable alternate roads such that the only real option is the Toll road> I cannot see why a government would make this decision to close or slow perfectly good alternates unless there were paper bags full of cash left at a decision makes door, But then again what do I know.

JP

Last edited by flappist; 19-02-2013 at 04:45 PM. Reason: do not avoid the swear filter
jpblue1000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 19-02-2013, 04:53 PM   #17
cobramania
FPV BFII GT Cobra No.249

Quote:

Can't say about other states, but in NSW if the owner goes bust, the Government usually bails them out & gets a higher percentage ownership, or full ownership in the road, (pretty sure most toll roads in NSW are co-owned, Private-Government to start with any way).
The private companies also are under contract for a certain amount of years to operate them, (eg. 50 years), then the Government takes full ownership & control.
The private operator charges tolls to get back building costs, pay for maintenance & make a profit (if they can).
When the Government get's full ownership at the contract end, tolls are removed as per F3 Freeway & M4 Motorway in Sydney.
The NSW Government (RMS) fully owns & operates the Sydney Harbour Bridge & Sydney Harbour Tunnel. Ongoing tolls there, are for continual maintenance & general revenue, all other motorways (toll roads), become Freeways.

Cross City Tunnel gets handed back Dec. 2035
Eastern Distributor gets handed back July 2048
Hills M2 gets handed back May 2042
Lane Cove Tunnel gets handed back January 2037
M5 South-West gets handed back August 2023
M5 East is owned by the NSW Government, but operated by a private company on behalf of the Government, (There are no tolls here).
Westlink M7 gets handed back February 2037

Funding & building them privately allows them to be built now, instead of waiting 10-15+ years for the Government to have funding for them.
cobramania is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2013, 05:32 PM   #18
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Governments just don't get it...

The public pays income tax, we pay taxes to buy and use our cars, we pay fuel tax, we pay fees and charges for registration, etc, etc, etc...

So why the hell should we have to bloody well pay for the damn roads we drive on as well?? How much money is enough from a long suffering public?

I recall way back when one of the first toll roads in Queensland opened up...on the Sunshine Coast (Nicklin Way? Sunshine Motorway? Can't recall the name). The public, for the reasons I mentioned above, weren't happy at all about it. We were down there on holiday, and found ourselves on the motorway, and we didn't have any change...we were wondering how to pay the toll.
Then we remembered hearing about a protest campaign on the local radio station called "Follow the yellow ribbons", and we saw a light pole beside the motorway festooned with yellow ribbons, and a hand made sign saying "Follow the yellow ribbons". The next pole had a ribbon, as did the next, down an off-ramp, along a road, around a roundabout, then along a two lane bitumen road just beside the motorway near cane fields. We "followed the yellow ribbons" on every light pole and post, and drove right past the toll booths (which were practically empty of cars), and then came back up onto the motorway some distance further down the road. Brilliant!!
The government caved in, and the next time we visited, the toll booths were empty with no gates, and the next time we went a few months later, the only sign they'd ever been there was a wider spot in the highway and a concrete section of road.
The world didn't end, the road system didn't collapse, and civilisation continued...governments have to realise they just have to suck it up and pay for facilities for the tax payer now and then.

People aren't stupid...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2013, 05:49 PM   #19
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

I won't use them cause they cost a bloody fortune to drive through.
Old 19-02-2013, 05:50 PM   #20
jamies

Easy no tunnels on the Goldcoast ha ha ha.....
jamies is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2013, 05:57 PM   #21
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Yeah, and isn't driving through the Gold Coast a pleasant hassle free experience...

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2013, 06:41 PM   #22
rancidpunx
FPV GTR

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For technical contribution to all things car-care related. And helping/advising forum members with the best possible information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E View Post
The world didn't end, the road system didn't collapse, and civilisation continued...governments have to realise they just have to suck it up and pay for facilities for the tax payer now and then.
Thats such a great story. Unfortunately in todays age there will be 24hr police presence arresting the ribbon erectors.
- Veridian Green PJ Ranger XLT -
The Work Truck

rancidpunx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 19-02-2013, 06:49 PM   #23
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Like this wasn't going to happen....
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real
grandpa_spec_F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2013, 06:53 PM   #24
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by rancidpunx View Post
Thats such a great story. Unfortunately in todays age there will be 24hr police presence arresting the ribbon erectors.
I'd think so too...back then, as I said, it was pretty widely known amongst Sunshine Coast people, and they started the yellow ribbon campaign...a local radio station kept telling people about the campaign without actually saying in so many words "you can avoid the tollgate by following the yellow ribbons"...the local news items were just mentions of the popular anti-toll gate campaign and the "yellow ribbon" campaign. You filled in the blanks yourself and nce you actually noticed the yellow ribbons, it was pretty glaringly obvious what was going on. Local shops also had signs inh the window against the toll and a slogan about "follow the yellow ribbons". Pretty good showing of civil disobedience right there...

Last edited by 2011G6E; 19-02-2013 at 07:04 PM.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 19-02-2013, 06:59 PM   #25
flooded one
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yeah, and isn't driving through the Gold Coast a pleasant hassle free experience...

not wrong there. when ever I am down that way I try too avoid surfers paradise and southport like the plauge
flooded one is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2013, 08:11 PM   #26
DJM83
Proper Gearbox User
Donating Member3

Quote:
Agreed, i went down there on the weekend and with all the work on Goldlinq it was a joke, and it was bad enough to begin with. Smith St MWY is munted along with the GC HWY.
I rarely have to use tunnels living where iam, but if i need to use one i have no issues doing so.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2013, 08:50 PM   #27
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
A tunnel is a little hole.

What is the point of a having a little hole in a great big one......
Old 19-02-2013, 09:00 PM   #28
Chrisosicko
ADELAIDE

It's simple, there are to bloody many toll ways in Brisbane, I work in qld but live in Adelaide. And if it wasn't for a company paid vehicle no way on gods green earth would I pay those ridiculous toll fees, I understand that they are expensive to build and company's need to make their money back.
Chrisosicko is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2013, 09:35 PM   #29
jamies

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist View Post
A tunnel is a little hole.

What is the point of a having a little hole in a great big one......
Gold coast starts at the southern side of Broadbeach...... I live in Burleigh ha ha
jamies is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2013, 09:52 PM   #30
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

The amount of money the government gets from fuel excise, the extra few cents per liter for road maintenance, and 10% on top of those two for GST.

The roads should be paves from gold with people in designer suits with fedoras hand polishing it every 20 meters.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post: