Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 14-06-2013, 07:41 PM   #1
auIILTD
5.6L x 2 pilot
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the effort put into the Australia day cruise to Albury Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: AU Tech article. 
Default AU II/III Low series V8s

Good evening all.

A question for the AU die hards. Were there any AU2 or AU3 low series made with a V8? Obviously, the XR series cars are a low series, but I am keen to source a good bodied low series V8 with 'proper' headlights.

Cheers
Stu

5.6L 342ci T3 Short, AFR165 heads, Comp XE270HR-12 Cam, Brembo 4/4s(355/330), T3 5 spokes, LC-1 wideband, Whiteline HD swaybars, TCE 3K Hi Stall, PWR Auto Trans Cooler, Koni shocks, King Low Springs, Hurricane headers, 100 cpsi cats, Twin 2.5" exhaust.

Quarter Mile: 13.73 @ 105.86mph

Runner Up NA/DA to BF Fairlane/LTD Geelong AFD 2024

2002 XR8 pursuit 250

Custom twin 2.5" exhaust w Herrod modifed extractors, Tuned with Moates QH
auIILTD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2013, 07:49 PM   #2
KR1STO
Just another mock-up..

Default Re: AU II/III Low series V8s

You could get a Forte in a V8. I've seen a few..
Also, Futura's could be optioned. I have seen one of these.

There was a cheap V8 Forte (series one though) on eBay recently. It was very tempting.. haha

A V8 conversion is fairly easy mate.. Bender with a stroker..!!!

EDIT: The series 2/3 are a lot harder to find for some reason. Although as above I have seen a few.

see my car here:
Built my own TL50!!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last edited by KR1STO; 14-06-2013 at 08:04 PM.
KR1STO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 14-06-2013, 08:03 PM   #3
KR1STO
Just another mock-up..

Thinking about it.
The ones I saw were very early series 2. Probably because it was an overlap from when Tickford started hand building the engines.
So, you'll probably only have luck finding a very early S2.

see my car here:
Built my own TL50!!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 14-06-2013, 08:04 PM   #4
revcore
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The AU utes had a V8 option in XL which was the base model, XLS which had the black interior and electric windows and then there was the XR8.
Old 14-06-2013, 08:05 PM   #5
rag top
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

JC had an AU Forte V8. Can't recall what series as he's had that many AU's....
3 users like this post:
Old 14-06-2013, 08:08 PM   #6
KR1STO
Just another mock-up..

Quote:
Originally Posted by rag top View Post
JC had an AU Forte V8. Can't recall what series as he's had that many AU's....
Haha.. sooo true...

see my car here:
Built my own TL50!!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 14-06-2013, 08:25 PM   #7
auIILTD
5.6L x 2 pilot
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the effort put into the Australia day cruise to Albury Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: AU Tech article. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KR1STO View Post
A V8 conversion is fairly easy mate.. Bender with a stroker..!!!
Cheers Kris. I understand what you are telling me, but if I sold Bender (which I would hate to do - he is such a great car) and source an original V8 engine car, the cost of the project could be so much cheaper. No trans to worry about, no ecu to worry about, with room for a 9" when I break the T3 diff!

So if I was to convert my 6 cyl Bender, immediately, I can see box, ecu, engine loom, fuel lines, engine accessories (alternator and power steering pump etc). It could get quite expensive quite quicky. A V8 donor would be the way to go - even if it is a written off body.

Cheers
Stu

5.6L 342ci T3 Short, AFR165 heads, Comp XE270HR-12 Cam, Brembo 4/4s(355/330), T3 5 spokes, LC-1 wideband, Whiteline HD swaybars, TCE 3K Hi Stall, PWR Auto Trans Cooler, Koni shocks, King Low Springs, Hurricane headers, 100 cpsi cats, Twin 2.5" exhaust.

2002 XR8 pursuit 250

Old 14-06-2013, 08:34 PM   #8
Mont5.0
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member3

How about a v8 E series with upgraded AU V8 goodness?
Old 14-06-2013, 08:36 PM   #9
orsm8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah I bought a new v8 forte sedan in 2001. Fitted tick ford rims and lowered the suspension . Nice enough car. Eventually traded it in for a series 3 xr8 sedan in liquid silver nice car to
orsm8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2013, 08:51 PM   #10
KR1STO
Just another mock-up..

Quote:
Originally Posted by auIILTD View Post
Cheers Kris. I understand what you are telling me, but if I sold Bender (which I would hate to do - he is such a great car) and source an original V8 engine car, the cost of the project could be so much cheaper. No trans to worry about, no ecu to worry about, with room for a 9" when I break the T3 diff!

So if I was to convert my 6 cyl Bender, immediately, I can see box, ecu, engine loom, fuel lines, engine accessories (alternator and power steering pump etc). It could get quite expensive quite quicky. A V8 donor would be the way to go - even if it is a written off body.

Cheers
Stu
Totally understand Stu. Although, doing it all yourself is half the fun. Bender could end up with a 220kw unit pretty easily too..

One question I have for you though. Why do you want another 8? For racing? Planning on retiring the LTD from drag duties..?

While I'm throwing ideas out. What about a forte/futura front end conversion on an XR8 200/220? Therefore giving you the 'proper' lights.
Replace the rear bar with a standard unit and remove side skirts and nobody could tell..!!

see my car here:
Built my own TL50!!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 14-06-2013, 08:52 PM   #11
auIILTD
5.6L x 2 pilot
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mont5.0 View Post
How about a v8 E series with upgraded AU V8 goodness?
Ah, let me guess? It is not an AU! There is a reason I titled this as AUII/III

As much as I love EL XRs (they are a killer look), AUs are such a better package when it comes to brakes and handling. Love them.

Stu

2002 XR8 pursuit 250

Old 14-06-2013, 08:54 PM   #12
beardo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have seen a red Sr with a v8 that looked stock so I doubt it would've been converted. Wouldn't think there'd be many around
beardo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2013, 09:00 PM   #13
b2tf
not here much anymore

Ive had an AU2 SR V8 in at work. Bog stock from the outside other than 17" rims which I have a feeling were mandatory when you ticked the donk box.
Old 14-06-2013, 09:00 PM   #14
auIILTD
5.6L x 2 pilot
Donating Member2

Quote:
Totally understand Stu. Although, doing it all yourself is half the fun. Bender could end up with a 220kw unit pretty easily too..

One question I have for you though. Why do you want another 8? For racing? Planning on retiring the LTD from drag duties..?

While I'm throwing ideas out. What about a forte/futura front end conversion on an XR8 200/220? Therefore giving you the 'proper' lights.
Replace the rear bar with a standard unit and remove side skirts and nobody could tell..!!
This is all theory at the moment. Just thowing ideas out there. Why would I go for another 8? Because I could revert the LTD back to stock, make it my daily again (not that more to run than a 6), then drop the 300+ kw 5.6 into a lightweight and have some great fun in sleeper Futura.

Probably won't happen, but crikey it would be a fun car. Damn these forums cost you money!

Cheers
Stu

Edit: Besides, James would not want my LTD any more if it was just a stocky! That way I would be comfortable the 'D' would remain mine forever!

2002 XR8 pursuit 250

Old 14-06-2013, 09:03 PM   #15
b2tf
not here much anymore

Stu I reckon an AU1 XR8 is the way to go for what you want. Upspec the donk and the brakes and you're pretty well there with what you are after. Hell you could even convert the front end and keep it in storage if you wanted the sleeper look.
Old 14-06-2013, 09:06 PM   #16
KR1STO
Just another mock-up..

Quote:
This is all theory at the moment. Just thowing ideas out there. Why would I go for another 8? Because I could revert the LTD back to stock, make it my daily again (not that more to run than a 6), then drop the 300+ kw 5.6 into a lightweight and have some great fun in sleeper Futura.

Probably won't happen, but crikey it would be a fun car. Damn these forums cost you money!

Cheers
Stu
Honestly, I think that's a good idea if you want to go fast and enjoy thrashing a car that isn't that 'special' to you.
The LTD is probably too nice to turn into a track hack.
The further you go with the D, the less it's going to have that LTD 'appeal'.

Does that make sense..?

see my car here:
Built my own TL50!!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 14-06-2013, 09:18 PM   #17
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Because I could revert the LTD back to stock, make it my daily again (not that more to run than a 6),
You'd never be happy if you did this.
Old 14-06-2013, 09:18 PM   #18
auIILTD
5.6L x 2 pilot
Donating Member2

Quote:
Honestly, I think that's a good idea if you want to go fast and enjoy thrashing a car that isn't that 'special' to you.
The LTD is probably too nice to turn into a track hack.
The further you go with the D, the less it's going to have that LTD 'appeal'.

Does that make sense..?
That makes a lot of sense Kris, but I have no plans to turn the 'D' into a 'track hack'.

I love my LTD and appreciate it for the rarity that it is. Hence I have not changed anything in the cabin or on the exterior of the car.

Mind you, I do not want to loose what I experienced today. It is still very streetable and just makes you smile when you drive it. It would certainly be a huge call to undo what I have done so far. It is such a unique beast, I cannot see going back to stock happening - not without a huge injection of cash and a total change of direction.

Cheers for the input guys

Stu.

2002 XR8 pursuit 250

Old 14-06-2013, 09:22 PM   #19
auIILTD
5.6L x 2 pilot
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf View Post
You'd never be happy if you did this.
I tend to agree Austin. I have just had a bit of the Drag racing bug and loved it.

Stu

2002 XR8 pursuit 250

Old 14-06-2013, 09:26 PM   #20
AU Mont
Banned

already been answered but yeah AU SR Forte V8....... pretty rare, and dont come cheap when they pop up for sale

imo, i do see a point to returning the LTD to a stock cruiser/daily duties, and fitting the worked 8 to a manual SIII XR8 for example.
AU Mont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2013, 12:01 AM   #21
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Obviously, the XR series cars are a low series,
The AU had high mid and low series with corresponding BEMs and clusters the XR was a mid series . mid clusters had all the dials but not things like the individual door indicators on the door open diagram and dimming lights mid series also had cruise as standard and intermittent wipers ( not standard on povo pack)

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2013, 02:05 PM   #22
SantoAU
Defender of the faith

Didn't the 8's also come with IRS as standard?

They just get reinvented.

SantoAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2013, 08:52 PM   #23
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
A V8 conversion is fairly easy mate..
Whats your address. I'll send my ute to you
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 15-06-2013, 09:22 PM   #24
KR1STO
Just another mock-up..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked View Post
Whats your address. I'll send my ute to you
Hahaha..!!!

see my car here:
Built my own TL50!!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 16-06-2013, 12:15 AM   #25
SantoAU
Defender of the faith

My 'mont is after bucky's ute. Might be a business opportunity here Kris

They just get reinvented.

SantoAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2013, 12:19 AM   #26
KR1STO
Just another mock-up..

Quote:
Originally Posted by SantoAU View Post
My 'mont is after bucky's ute. Might be a business opportunity here Kris
Looks that way..!

I had better set up an ABN then..

see my car here:
Built my own TL50!!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 16-06-2013, 09:14 AM   #27
Mont5.0
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SantoAU View Post
Didn't the 8's also come with IRS as standard?
Nope. My AUII 5litre was live axle
Old 16-06-2013, 09:31 AM   #28
Muzzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mont5.0 View Post
Nope. My AUII 5litre was live axle
From my memory only the XR8 and XR6VCT came with IRS and the Fairmont's too I think. correct me if I'm wrong.
Muzzle is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2013, 10:27 AM   #29
Ride
Stay Classy ™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzzle View Post
From my memory only the XR8 and XR6VCT came with IRS and the Fairmont's too I think. correct me if I'm wrong.
Regular Fairmont's were live axle, the Fairmont Ghia was IRS. All Fairlanes were IRS, same with all T series.
Ride is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 17-06-2013, 07:08 PM   #30
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For research and posted write up on cooling system care and repair in AU.COM and offering help where possible 

I have an AUII SR V8 and an AUIII Fairmont V8...