Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 18-12-2014, 12:48 AM   #1
Elks
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Default John Cadogan, Josh Dowlings twin?

The article below on the new Mk2 Territory SZ is one of the most biased and ill thought out pieces of pseudo journalism I've read in a while.

it fails to mention the strengths of the Territory's 5 star safety with real world results, car like driving experience, and apart from ball joints in 2004/5, reliable.

But then skips the weaknesses of its competitors, Kia/Hyundai twins have less towing capacity than a Suzuki Grand Vitara, not good in a Large SUV, The Kluger is Thirsty, and Nissan diesels love riding on a tow truck. Sure the Terry is not perfect. But it's damn good and doesn't deserve this.

It's no surprise to find a Kia add in the middle of this article.

John Cadogan (I've truly never heard of him) is the author. Perhaps those with twitter accounts might want to leave him some "feedback".

Quote:
The Ford Territory is Australia’s only locally designed and built SUV - and the latest model Ford Territory has just been released. Production will cease in 2016 when the Ford factory closes for ever - the badge might continue, but the Australian Ford Territory will die. Should you rush out and buy one?

Predictably enough, Ford says the new SZ Mark II Territory is a winner, but the reality is, Territory sales went into free-fall in 2014, and in response they’ve slashed the price. It’s desperation stuff. The truth is, the Ford Territory is a train wreck. So if you’re thinking about buying a ticket and jumping on board, think again.

FOUR OBJECTIVELY BETTER SUVs
Hyundai Santa Fe

Why?

2 more years warranty with 10 years free roadside assistance and capped-price servicing for life.
Better seven-seat arrangement.
Same engine outputs from 0.5 litres less capacity.
17 per cent better fuel efficiency.
Kia Sorento

Why?

4 more years warranty.
Better seven-seat arrangement.
Same engine outputs from 0.5 litres less capacity.
17 per cent better fuel efficiency.
Toyota Kluger

Why?

Significantly better resale value, if history repeats, yielding 20 per cent better return at trade-in time.
Better build quality and reliability (it's a Toyota).
Nissan X-Trail

Why?

Japanese build quality.
Fuel efficiency.
Value for money.
Superior resale value proposition.

The new Ford Territory has been part of the motoring landscape in Australia since 2004. Back then, it was a good - albeit thirsty - vehicle. Unfortunately, though, Ford has done the absolute bare minimum to it, over 10 years, while the rest of the market has sprinted competitively ahead.

This is perhaps understandable: the Ford factory in Broadmeadows was bleeding money hand over fist, the global financial crisis hit, and Ford had to unload Volvo, Land Rover, Jaguar and Aston Martin at desperation-sale prices just to avoid bankruptcy.

Ford also enacted its One Ford policy, essentially the death sentence for local manufacturing. It wasn’t too hard to join the dots, as early as 2011. Against this turbulent backdrop, senior Ford management in Dearborn was hardly in a position to send a shipping container full of Greenbacks Down Under, with strict instructions to go nuts on R&D with the Ford Territory.

As a consumer proposition, the later half of the Ford Territory’s life cycle screams ‘too little, too late’. That’s just how it is.
I'll help you SAVE THOUSANDS on any NEW VEHICLE. Click HERE >>
FORD TERRITORY ENGINES

The inline six was making 184kW @ 5000rpm back in 2004. Fast-forward a decade and it’s pumping out 195kW @ 6000rpm: That’s 20 per cent more revs for just 7 per cent more power. If you know anything about engineering, that’s an example of going backwards. Spinning an engine faster to derive an impractical increase in power is something you only ever do for the press release, not something you do to benefit consumers.

Compare a Mazda3 2.0-litre engine over the same period. From 2004-2014 it jumped 10 per cent in power, and manages to deliver it at 8 per cent fewer revs - with a 34 per cent drop in fuel consumption. That’s progress. To be fair, Ford Territory has gained some fuel efficiency as well - 22 per cent better. It’s gone from from atrocious to just awful. A V6 Kluger makes more power, but less torque, with half a litre less engine, and the same approximate economy.

FORD TERRITORY DIESEL

And then there’s the diesel. It took seven long years to fit that diesel engine to a Territory and stifle all those high fuel consumption criticisms, by which time that diesel engine was a geriatric - ready for the zimmer frame and the nursing home. It’s a 2.7, and today, Hyundai/Kia manages to deliver the same engine outputs with a 2.2. When the South Koreans stick that engine in a Santa Fe or Sorento - direct Territory competitors - it’s also 17 per cent more fuel efficient.

FORD TERRITORY DYNAMICS

Territory’s dynamics are very good. If you’re looking for the silver lining, that’s pretty much it. It handles well. But then, so does nearly everything else these days.

HISTORICAL RELIABILITY ISSUES

Unfortunately, those dynamics don’t translate to robustness. Historically, Territory has developed a reputation for ball joints wearing out early, suspension bushes that chop out prematurely, and front brake rotors that give up the ghost well before they should. The six-speed ZF gearbox shifts pretty well, but anecdotally, it has plenty of failures, too - especially if regular towing near maximum 2.3-tonne capacity is part of the duty cycle.

FORD TERRITORY RESALE

One thing’s pretty certain: If you buy a Territory, it’s gunna depreciate like a stuck pig. A five-seat Territory Ghia from 2009 cost $57,500 new and, according to Redbook, it sells privately for an average of $20,000 today, losing 65 per cent of its new value in that time.

If you’d been smarter and paid $1000 more upfront for a Toyota Kluger KX-S seven-seat V6, you’d sell it privately today for an average of $25,300. So you’d be the best part of four-and-a-half grand better off - that’s almost 22 per cent more cash at resale time.

Ford obviously doesn’t care about you, if you’re in this position, because you’re only a customer. Once you’ve spent the big bucks, you’re off the radar - which is such a 1980s car industry attitude. This is the only conclusion possible - because Ford Australia has fire-saled the price of the just-released SZ Mark II Territory. They’ve slashed prices to the tune of between $3000 and $6500, depending on the model. What this does is burn the equity that existing owners have in their cars - because the value of your used used Territory reacts directly with the price of the new replacement, all other things being equal.

FORD TERRITORY IMAGE GALLERY
2015 Ford Territory 1.jpg
2015 Ford Territory 2.jpg
2015 Ford Territory 3.jpg
2015 Ford Territory 4.jpg
2015 Ford Territory 5.jpg
2015 Ford Territory 6.jpg
2015 Ford Territory 7.jpg
2015 Ford Territory 9.jpg
2015 Ford Territory 10.jpg
2015 Ford Territory 11.jpg
2015 Ford Territory 12.jpg
image91285_b.jpg
So, if you’re a potential new Territory customer, that’s great. Territory just got cheaper. But if you’re a loyal Territory customer, it kinda sucks. And it’s a very short-sighted marketing strategy in my view.

FORD TERRITORY 'FIRE SALE' PRICING

This fire-sale has actually occurred because Territory sales are in freefall. Using the latest official sales figures available, Territory sales have crashed by 31 per cent in 2014. Word has obviously gotten around - the wasted taxpayer funding, the closure of the factory, the 1200 Australian workers who will all lose their jobs thanks to Ford’s fundamental failure to adapt to the changing market. Or maybe it was the $2 million party they threw at Fox Studios for bigwigs, ambassadors and celebrities, just after the big factory closure announcement, to celebrate the future. That was crass. But it gives you some insight into the corporate mentality. They could have spent the $2 million training the workers for jobs after Ford.

CONCLUSION

When you look at all of that, the only conclusion I can draw is that the Ford Territory is emblematic of the failure of Ford Australia to adapt to the market, the failure to value its customers, and the failure even to respect the considerable brand loyalty they managed to build up in the ‘60s, ‘70s, ‘80s and ‘90s. It’s disgraceful.

You might love Ford. You might own a Territory. You might even be happy with it. If that’s you, then I’m happy for you. You might not be happy with this report. I respect that. There’s a hugely subjective component to buying any car. I’m just on about the facts here - and I wish they were different, but they’re not. Territory is one of the market’s great lemons and, objectively, buying one is a mistake.

Ford and Holden are stuck on the fast track to obscurity, and there’s nothing they appear to be able to do about it. If you still want to buy a Territory after all of that, I really can’t help you … but in my view, you do need help. The Ford Territory is, sadly, one of the market's most enduring lemons - but its days are numbered. In an attempt to end on a positive note, the best I can offer is: it's objectively better (slightly) than a Holden Cruze.

Last edited by Elks; 18-12-2014 at 01:01 AM.
Elks is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 18-12-2014, 01:17 AM   #2
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Default Re: John Cadogan, Josh Dowlings twin?

This is the douche Today Tonight trots out every time they want to crap on about something car related. I think it is telling he has his own "car review" website and none of the motoring media outlets have him on payroll

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 18-12-2014, 01:17 AM   #3
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Wow I haven't read so much dribble in a long time... Someone is facinated by engine capacity aren't they????
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 18-12-2014, 01:35 AM   #4
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What im looking forward to when the Aussie auto industry dies is not having to listen to these ********* any more.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2014, 01:37 AM   #5
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

He's on 2UE Sydney..
http://www.2ue.com.au/2ues-john-cado...214-2ee9f.html
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2014, 01:40 AM   #6
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ive only driven the current model Kluger a few times but its fuel economy isnt as good as they claim, it has poor throttle response, poor handling, massive torque steer, the sun reflects off the rear of the bonnet into your eyes, and its darker inside than Josef Fritzl's dungeon.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 18-12-2014, 01:46 AM   #7
OffRoadFalcon
"Flooded it mate?"

All I can do is shake my head.............................................. ...
OffRoadFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 18-12-2014, 02:18 AM   #8
lucas2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Here is the video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zROXiD5ouTU

I have been commenting under the name "freeridemachine". My objective was the fact he had not even driven the car, nor made a review on the driving experience.

I tried to keep it civil and offered NO personal attacks but he has just proven what an insecure idiot he is. One of his comments have been removed due to his swearing attack on me. He clearly cannot have a civil discussion with someone who offers a difference of opinion.

In fact, all I wanted was a review of the car based on how it actually drove and felt. I guess according to him, that's not exactly what a review is.
lucas2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2014, 07:11 AM   #9
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This was the same observation I made (and commented on) an hour before you posted this thread.

Discussion here: http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11429697
commodorenutt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2014, 07:19 AM   #10
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucas2 View Post
Here is the video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zROXiD5ouTU

I have been commenting under the name "freeridemachine". My objective was the fact he had not even driven the car, nor made a review on the driving experience.

I tried to keep it civil and offered NO personal attacks but he has just proven what an insecure idiot he is. One of his comments have been removed due to his swearing attack on me. He clearly cannot have a civil discussion with someone who offers a difference of opinion.

In fact, all I wanted was a review of the car based on how it actually drove and felt. I guess according to him, that's not exactly what a review is.
I read your comments, and others. I also read his childish replies. I am gobsmacked that someone in the media can stoop that low & his only defence is to sling derogatory insults like that.

He was someone who I respected years ago. Almost in the ilk of Will & Toby Hagon (ie not a full-on well known media person, but gave honest reviews & knew their stuff on radio segments). Now I'm sorry I ever compared him to people like that.

If it wasn't for the fact his name is on the review, and the same profile pic & name is replying to the comments the way he is, I would have thought someone was masquerading as him, to assassinate his character.

While he was far from a hero, he's certainly gone to zero.
commodorenutt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 18-12-2014, 07:55 AM   #11
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Seems to me he's a nobody trying to gather hits for his YouTube channel by posting dribble.
I wouldn't dignify him with a reply.
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 18-12-2014, 08:08 AM   #12
GTP534
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

When he was on Today Tonight he was pretty good on matters of road safety and driver training.

He gave the S/C 5.0 V8 a good video review when he drove it back in 2010.

I'm very surprised to have learnt he was the JC who wrote the article (now in the Territory SZ thread) and how he has arrogantly responded to well deserved criticism.

John Cadogan? He's now on my Joshua Dowling - Won't Read Any More Of His Dribble List.
Old 18-12-2014, 08:55 AM   #13
nuthin' fancy
Lyminge, Shepway, Kent
Donating Member3

There is a real difference between criticising a product "the Ford Territory is a train wreck. So if you’re thinking about buying a ticket and jumping on board, think again" and making a personal criticism of those who purchase it "If you still want to buy a Territory after all of that, I really can’t help you … but in my view, you do need help".

I can accept the former bit, the latter is unneccessary.

"Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die, tragedy is when I get a paper cut"
nuthin' fancy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2014, 08:58 AM   #14
BLUEYBA
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I heard him on 2UE and he knocked the new XR8 big time and basically steered a person away from it. I think he either has or did have a contract with Hyundai/Kia at one time. Not 100% sure on this tho
1995 EF Fairmont - Tickford Enhanced
1980 ZL Fairlane in Brambles red
BLUEYBA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 18-12-2014, 09:09 AM   #15
chookaradley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

All these journos have agendas. Surely we all know that by now. Anyone wonder how the VF commodore was a vastly superior product to FG, then Ford put new front and rear on the FGX and it is now better?. Make your own mind up, go and drive a car, do some research, don't believe everything you read.
chookaradley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2014, 09:17 AM   #16
supershifty
Missing a sock...
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Dave has been a long time active member on the forums and in particular has been a busy volunteer whenever there are cruises and toys runs etc held in South East Qld. He actively gives up his time and ensures that the events are provided for, be it commun 

Cadogan is also on the midnight shift on 4BC in Brisbane.

He's knowledgeable on a broad range of subjects and is a self styled vehicle critic.

If you listen to him he comes across the airwaves as a whining smartass.

Hate his whinging voice, that's probably why he's on the graveyard shift.

Cheers!

Real friends + great times = sheer bliss!

Considering becoming an organ donor? Click here

QLD Events, Cruises and Get Togethers: Click here

Gain success instantly - lower your standards.

It's not government funded - it's taxpayer funded.
supershifty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 18-12-2014, 09:37 AM   #17
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I like the way he keeps using the word objectively when he's being subjective. Usually you don't need to keep saying it if you are actually being objective. He makes some valid points but spoils it by being sensationalist. The picture he paints of Territory is nothing like reality. If he's launching into attacks on people commenting on his piece, as reported here, then sadly all we are seeing is nothing more than an insecure ego, not someone fit for writing objective and professional motor reports.

As for the "choice", maybe those offerings are OK if you don't enjoy driving. I've been looking for a while for something in the class and broad price ballpark to replace Territory that includes my criterion of driving pleasure and none of those examples cut it. The only one I've found to match the Territory is the X3. That certainly wouldn't fit very well into his narrative.

In the meantime, Territory has given me a decade of pleasurable, practical, cheap (in the real world of WOL operating costs) and comfortable motoring. One of the best cars I've ever owned or driven in 40 years of motoring.
new2ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 18-12-2014, 10:05 AM   #18
Blueford260

What an idiot!!!!!

On the comments under the clip and he called the Territory a lemon, you would think that someone with self proclaimed 20 years experience as a motoring journalist that he would know what a lemon is and the Territory is the opposite of a lemon, one of the most reliable suv's out there but that's only my opinion from owning one for the last 8 years.

That's the trouble these days someone makes a video gets some views and all of a sudden they think they are a somebody

again what an idiot
Blueford260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 18-12-2014, 10:26 AM   #19
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't understand how a human being (supposedly the most intelligent species) can have such a hatred of a car, I mean its just a piece of metal, its not like its got a brain or voice and has called his mum a slut or anything.

His video just seems so out of proportion to the subject matter, in fact I would go as far as saying he might actually be mentally disturbed or retarded, or both.

Very strange person
MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 18-12-2014, 11:26 AM   #20
Falcon SXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wow I thought you were exaggerating but after looking at the comments....just wow. There wasn't a reason for him to reply to you the way he did at all especially as he claims to be a professional, love how he looks at everyone's channel so he can run them down.
AU Fairmont
BA MK2 XR6 Turbo
Now
XDUB
Falcon SXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 18-12-2014, 11:47 AM   #21
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

I had a quick look on his youtube channel & he's carrying on like a spoilt kid if anyone disagree's with his supposed informed opinion lol, just another typical washed up hack!

cheers, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 18-12-2014, 12:19 PM   #22
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Hes not a professional writer or journalist. All is he is a second hand engineer that thinks his opinion counts...

He can't even get the facts right, SX Territorys only had 182 kw, not 184 like he proclaims. Then he goes on about brakes? LOL my friend has a 40,000 km old Toyota Kluger that has brake shudder too. Its not just Territory's that do it!!

Then he goes on about how the Koreans have such great warrantys, well sorry they need to do something to get people to buy their cars!
This user likes this post:
Old 18-12-2014, 12:42 PM   #23
Elements

He did have a past life at CarAdvice...

GT-P review

How he has changed... Geesh!
Elements is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2014, 01:27 PM   #24
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Look, there are some "areas" of his "review" that are factually correct, like how the Ford plant is closing, how the Territory has been starved of funds, and how the Territory in its current guise doesn't stack up with competitors in terms of warranty and some features.

The rest of it is complete and utter drivel. Defamatory drivel I might add. A lemon? You've got to be kidding. Plus you've got to question his ethics when he bags one product, hypes a competitor's product, and his website contains adverts for the said competitor's product.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 18-12-2014, 02:35 PM   #25
hootar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

hootar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2014, 02:46 PM   #26
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

John Cabogus we should call him.
Old 18-12-2014, 02:48 PM   #27
Grippy
Racing improves the breed

It's hard to take a so called "Auto Expert" seriously when he reviews a car without even driving it.

1964 Mini Cooper S Historic Group Nb Touring car

Victorian Hill Climb Championship
Grippy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2014, 02:53 PM   #28
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ahh but hes been in the industry for years and driven many Territory's.

The guy is a complete idiot, its people like him who ruin the industry.
Old 18-12-2014, 03:02 PM   #29
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Looks like an angry little man, especially when you read his replies on You tube.
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 18-12-2014, 03:36 PM   #30
barnz_xr8
Turbo 358W

him and dowling need a double ended cactus
barnz_xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post