Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 04-02-2018, 08:40 AM   #1
Qwerty321
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Roach in car?

Well it's finally happened. Was driving on a gravel road for ages and think the shaking and dust finally scared the roaches out from wherever they were. Found a big papa roach wandering around the margin on the passenger front door when it was opened. Right where the rubber seal was. Got rid of it, but assume it's not the only one. Last roach I saw was a medium sized one a couple years back in the fuel filler area and it ran away down the body panel hole into the depths of the car when I saw it.

Surely I'm not the only one who's dealt with this. Anyone got any deroaching ideas for a car? Would rather not have one of those devils climbing up me, or god forbid flying at me, while I'm driving.

"If in doubt, flat out" - Colin McRae
"Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far you take the wall with you"
"Cheap, fast and reliable. Pick Two"

Qwerty321 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2018, 08:47 AM   #2
uniacidz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Roach in car?

I spray surface spray in the interior when I had a huntsman on the outside windscreen crawl under the front drivers quarter panel

Then with my single garage, closed it up and set off two Coles bug bombs $2.76 or so and left it overnight with windows down and boot and bonnet open

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk
VX SS (R.I.P)
VE Berlina
uniacidz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2018, 09:05 AM   #3
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

Over the next week, put some roach traps in your car overnight, that would work though a bit slower but less toxic, good luck!

cheers, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2018, 01:12 PM   #4
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cut a piece of duct tape to your desired length. Place the tape sticky side up. Fold both ends of the tape in to make it easier to pick it up for disposal later.
Lay the tape sticky side up and place a small dab of peanut butter in the centre. Roach walks on to feed and is stuck. Fold up tape on roach and dispose - or remove roach and deep fry - whichever you prefer.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 04-02-2018, 01:13 PM   #5
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I surface spray my car a couple of times a year, but don't spray the interior or exterior paint as it may discolour.
I open all the doors/boot/bonnet, spray inside the sills, the firewall and along the base of the windscreen where the inside air intakes are.
If you're controlling huntsman spiders, spray the underside of the bonnet at the front ( it's where they sit before feeding on dead bugs on your front bumper) and at the base of the windscreen ( they sit here before crawling up your windscreen while you drive ).
The suggestion of bug bombs inside your closed garage is a great idea too.

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 04-02-2018, 01:45 PM   #6
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniacidz View Post
I spray surface spray in the interior when I had a huntsman on the outside windscreen crawl under the front drivers quarter panel
Then with my single garage, closed it up and set off two Coles bug bombs $2.76 or so and left it overnight with windows down and boot and bonnet open
Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk
Spot on, this is what I do with my trucks, surface spray around the door seals, vents and bug bomb the rest.
where I live the Huntmans come out in summer and love door jambs. Though they're not dangerous, they can scare the c*** out of you while driving. I have roof vents on the cabs which I had to install flyscreens under otherwise they would fall into you lap when opened.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 04-02-2018, 02:56 PM   #7
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwerty321 View Post
Well it's finally happened. Was driving on a gravel road for ages and think the shaking and dust finally scared the roaches out from wherever they were. Found a big papa roach wandering around the margin on the passenger front door when it was opened. Right where the rubber seal was. Got rid of it, but assume it's not the only one. Last roach I saw was a medium sized one a couple years back in the fuel filler area and it ran away down the body panel hole into the depths of the car when I saw it.

Surely I'm not the only one who's dealt with this. Anyone got any deroaching ideas for a car? Would rather not have one of those devils climbing up me, or god forbid flying at me, while I'm driving.
Sooky la la... “deroaching”? You kiddin? Try cutting the roof off (what gets in, can get out!)
Wanna see bugs?... come visit over here!
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Charliewool is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2018, 03:17 PM   #8
.:4:.
Kicking back

Yeah its an irritating issue, and yeah eradicate them. But maybe poke around to find the reason theyre there in the first place. Typically its going to be a food source, but cockroaches tend to be more towards a water source. That being said is your condensate drain for the ac doing its job and is the passengers side carpet dry?
.:4:. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2018, 03:38 PM   #9
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:4:. View Post
Yeah its an irritating issue, and yeah eradicate them. But maybe poke around to find the reason theyre there in the first place. Typically its going to be a food source,
My glove box had an ant problem but it might have been something to do with the iced donuts I left in there until lunchtime.

3 users like this post:
Old 04-02-2018, 08:08 PM   #10
au350hp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A mate with a TD Cortina wagon left a block of butter from a camping trip in the back of his wagon. It melted in to the carpet and anytime the car temp inside is above 18c the stench has to be experienced to believe. The only fix would be to replace the affected section of carpet which will never happen, as the owner is the type who gets a nosebleed driving a nail.
au350hp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2018, 09:01 PM   #11
IanC

I was driving a pool car from work one day when a red back dropped down off the sun visor into my lap. I was in a busy city street just coming up to traffic lights so I pulled up onto the pavement - luckily not hitting any one - and frantically swatted in the direction I thought it had gone with a ring back file. Nobody said anything or seemed to take any notice. I assume they thought I had gone mad and didn't want to get involved.
IanC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2018, 09:46 PM   #12
Junkyard-Dog
*barks incessantly

I bombed my car with a full can of Glen 20 when I first got it - I put it through my AC vents to clear out mould and make sure there wouldn't be any smell. It worked perfectly and made my interior smell awesome in the process.

If any creepy-crawly survived that, it deserved to survive.
Junkyard-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2018, 10:12 PM   #13
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You've just reminded me of a work colleague who rang for advice one day....

He was sitting in his Mondeo, with the sunroof open, on his lunchbreak. He'd laid the seat back a bit, and was parked under a tree. Something caught his attention, but it was too late - his description was "the spider was like mission impossible - scrambling down out of the tree above, and straight in through the sunroof, and onto the passenger side of the console. From that point it scrambled up the dash, and was last seen heading down the demister vent.

He freaked, and got out of the car quick smart, then he rang me to ask what to do. I found out where he was, and a supermarket was nearby. I told him to buy a can of insect spray, and call me when he was back at the car.

I then described starting the car with all the windows up, and run it on recirc, full fan, whilst spraying the insect spray into the general vicinity of under the glovebox for 10-20 seconds, then shut the door and let the car run for 5 minutes or so to really circulate it, and make sure the spider was dead.

He rang me back 5 minutes later "mate, I've had to put the window down, I've got tears streaming down my face, and could hardly see where I was going."

He didn't get the common sense part to stand beside the car whilst it's being "bombed"....
commodorenutt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 04-02-2018, 10:18 PM   #14
leesa

Quote:
Originally Posted by commodorenutt View Post
He rang me back 5 minutes later "mate, I've had to put the window down, I've got tears streaming down my face, and could hardly see where I was going."
See? SEE? Who still says that having a dick means automatically being smarter?

Edit: tonight I just learned that **** and **** get censored but dick is allowed. ok, duly noted.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2018, 11:53 AM   #15
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwerty321 View Post

Ill point out a roach in Dunedin NZ is nowhere near the size that you find in the warmer parts of Australia.
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2018, 01:18 PM   #16
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Don't eat on your car. No food crumbs= no roaches.
Old 05-02-2018, 03:37 PM   #17
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevsta007 View Post
Ill point out a roach in Dunedin NZ is nowhere near the size that you find in the warmer parts of Australia.
Are they bigger?
Old 05-02-2018, 04:55 PM   #18
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesa View Post
See? SEE? Who still says that having a dick means automatically being smarter?

Edit: tonight I just learned that **** and **** get censored but dick is allowed. ok, duly noted.
Thank Dick Johnson for that
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 06-02-2018, 03:17 PM   #19
au350hp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiblue View Post
Don't eat on your car. No food crumbs= no roaches.
Same rules apply in mine Aussieblue. Thought you might appreciate this. I was waiting in line for petrol as the owner of the late model BMW in front returned from the checkout with a massive frozen beverage which they put on the roof whilst opening the car door. They forgot the drink on the roof, drove off and the drink disappeared down the sunroof which was open as it turns out. He was still dealing with it when I left.
au350hp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2018, 05:29 PM   #20
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You've just made my day with that post! Hilarious!
commodorenutt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2018, 12:31 AM   #21
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I used to pest bomb my car once a year to rid the roaches.
Old 07-02-2018, 12:46 AM   #22
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roostercam View Post
Same rules apply in mine Aussieblue. Thought you might appreciate this. I was waiting in line for petrol as the owner of the late model BMW in front returned from the checkout with a massive frozen beverage which they put on the roof whilst opening the car door. They forgot the drink on the roof, drove off and the drink disappeared down the sunroof which was open as it turns out. He was still dealing with it when I left.
I actually had a similar conversation with my manager today, but it was geared more towards stains in work cars and work cars smelling like something has died. There are some uninhabitable cars in the fleet. The worst being coffee stains. Im no saint in the fact with the hours a day i spend on the roads i will have drinks in the car, but they have to be in capped bottles. Even if its a red bull it has to be in one of those aluminium bottles. I typically stick to waters, but any one who has ever left an empty can of red bull in the car overnight knows the funk the car has the next morning is not pleasant. In the work car i spend most days up to 4 hours driving and sometimes more so i keep the cabin clean for that reason. No food, capped bottles for a drink at the lights, and a bar of soap under the passengers seat. No the soap isnt there to wash my hands, its there because when i drive from site to site and have a sweaty back the car smells nice. Its less in your face then most air fresheners.
Old 07-02-2018, 12:54 AM   #23
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Old 07-02-2018, 01:49 AM   #24
chrisandsharon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I did a 6700km trip from Sydney to Karratha via Katherine years ago in a BJ42 shorty. When I was leaving Longreach a huntsman the size of a dinner plate crawled onto the outside of the windscreen. After slowly pulling over and slowly opening the drivers door to flick him off, the bloody thing raced around the windscreen and behind the dash.

I called him Harry from then on and spoke to him nicely for the last 4500km.
In the mornings I’d say out loud ‘mornin Harry, now don’t scare the shyte out of me today please’ .

I never saw the monster again which was great. I would have been much happier if he was a cockroach!
chrisandsharon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 07-02-2018, 01:58 AM   #25
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisandsharon View Post
I did a 6700km trip from Sydney to Karratha via Katherine years ago in a BJ42 shorty. When I was leaving Longreach a huntsman the size of a dinner plate crawled onto the outside of the windscreen. After slowly pulling over and slowly opening the drivers door to flick him off, the bloody thing raced around the windscreen and behind the dash.

I called him Harry from then on and spoke to him nicely for the last 4500km.
In the mornings I’d say out loud ‘mornin Harry, now don’t scare the shyte out of me today please’ .

I never saw the monster again which was great. I would have been much happier if he was a cockroach!
Atleast a huntsman isnt dangerous and will eat any flys or smaller things in the car. It could be worse like the redbacks in my boat.
Old 07-02-2018, 02:36 AM   #26
chrisandsharon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Huntsman is more dangerous than red backs in a car - their sheer size has caused many an accident through showing up unannounced whilst the driver is sitting on 100km/h - I’m sure they get a laugh out of it

Talking of red backs, I was changing a tyre out a couple of months back - check out the spare. Suckers were in the tread grooves and inside the rim........thank ***k I noticed them before handling it too much!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
chrisandsharon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 07-02-2018, 11:30 AM   #27
PooDog
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Years ago we had a hillman hunter and flatted in the country, used to leave it under the carport , 0ne night left the window open,next morning running late for work (as usual) put the safety belt on in a hurry raced out the track and onto the road , heading up the road when i felt something crawling on my guts down where the seatbelt crosses look down and its this dirty great weta....i just freaked and shot forward crushing the weta between my gut and the belt that made me freak even more nearly loosing the car in the drain , the mrs after realising what happened was laughing all the way to work ....but i was a little bit jittery

Au11 fairmont Ghia ported gt40p heads ,comp springs and locks
Xe 264 cam,custom intake,pacemaker tri y headers
524nm torque

19 Triton GSXR manual
PooDog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 21-02-2018, 11:09 AM   #28
Boosturd

Nothing worse than this... had a huge roach crawl up my right pant leg on the way to work. It must of looked like I was having a siezure to the car next to me when I pulled up. Braking with your left foot in an emergency situation is always fun too

Learnt my lesson not to park my car with its windows open in the garage

That soap trick under the seat in a plastic bag works a treat. Even better with a small UNOPENED bag of fabric softener.

Twin Bush Diff Hat w/ Wavetrac LSD, Shockworks Coilovers, Jonny Tig 1800HP Cooler, Single Piece Carbon Fibre Tailshaft, Malwood Opt 3+, 4" X-Force Exhaust, KPM 1000HP Fuel System, Procharge 58mm Billet Wheeled Turbo
Boosturd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2018, 11:51 AM   #29
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:4:. View Post
Atleast a huntsman isnt dangerous and will eat any flys or smaller things in the car. It could be worse like the redbacks in my boat.
Or worst still funnel web. Geeze, I hate these things around Sydney lower north shore. Thankfully I've never seen one in a car only under one.

Old 21-02-2018, 02:20 PM   #30
leesa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosturd View Post
Nothing worse than this... had a huge roach crawl up my right pant leg on the way to work.
I feel like I need to ask a truly important question -> Did the roach crawl up the outside or the INSIDE of your pant leg?
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post