Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Closed Thread

Old 09-07-2005, 09:29 PM   #1
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Default Smartlock Question

Hi everyone,

My series 1 Futura doesn't flash the Smartlock light when I lock up the car. A guy around the corner, with another 99 Futura has his flashing!

Anyone have an idea why? Is my Smartlock still active? The manual mentions nothing about the light flashing, in fact on the pages reffering to the dash lights, Smartlock isn't mentioned at all!

Cheers.

Last edited by GK; 09-07-2005 at 10:01 PM.
Old 10-07-2005, 12:53 AM   #2
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Odd, the guy around the corner must have something special because no AU1 that I'm aware of had a smartlock indicator light that flashes on the dash.
I have a light below the demist button that flashes but its part of the alarm package, not a factory fit smartlock light.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Old 10-07-2005, 01:12 AM   #3
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

We discussed this last week.... is it the hand that it is supposed to be flashing.... if its not flashing do you think there could be something wrong with the smart-lock?
because Hamo's car hasn't anything flashing on the dash, when we had a look at Rods 2 AU XR's they both have a hand flashing.
Casper is there any Tech info around on the smartlock?

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
Old 10-07-2005, 01:17 AM   #4
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

AU2s have the flashing light (red hand that flashes on the lower RHS of the instrument cluster). I don't know when the AU1 update came in, except that I think it was sometime in 99 - maybe October? This may have something to do with it. My May 99 XR8 doesn't have any flashing lights (except for the high beam - lol). But the 2000 model AU2 wagon does. I think til late 99 it was smartlock, and then went to smartshield. Hope that helps - ie I think your car is working normally 99 Futura Wagon.

From looking at a few posts on FF (just do a seacrh for smartlock), it appears that Fairmont_Krissy has an AU1 Update Fairmont with ABS and the updated smartlock - perhaps a PM to Krissy may help put your mind at ease (ie find out what month her car was built, and if yours is earlier, then yours is fine).
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT

Last edited by JC; 10-07-2005 at 01:23 AM.
Old 10-07-2005, 01:24 AM   #5
SpoolMan

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Rods has 2 AU XR8's both 99 model... both have flashing hands.

Old 10-07-2005, 01:26 AM   #6
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Here ya go - just found this on autoweb:

"Smartshield

'Smartshield' is an enhanced version of the Smartlock vehicle immobilisation system it replaces. The most significant upgrade to the system is the addition of a transponder to the ignition key. The transponder 'talks' to the vehicle's electrical system when the ignition is switched on, the management system will not start the car unless the correct signal is received. The signal is an encrypted rolling code that cannot be duplicated.

With the introduction of Smartshield, and a warning notice on the side glass, the NRMA security rating on the vehicle increases to 85.

Smartshield will be standard on all Falcon passenger and light commercial vehicles from June 7th."

Perhaps Rod's were both built after June 1999.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

Old 10-07-2005, 02:05 AM   #7
SpoolMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCXR8
the management system will not start the car unless the correct signal is received.
This is the part that interests me we have had a few starting problems sometimes no problems other times dont want to know about it.
Changed the Body control Module thought it was fixed, but it has decide to play up again.
Rod is going to go over the smart lock on Monday.
Hamo's Car 1st registered June 99 so it would have been made before the flashing hands came out.

Old 10-07-2005, 03:26 AM   #8
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Yeh - check the iginition barrel. It may have a loose (probably internal) connection.

Hamo must have just missed out on Smartshield by a few days - in my case, it was a month.

Old 10-07-2005, 06:32 AM   #9
FRDGAL
GT-P #0336

Quote:
From looking at a few posts on FF (just do a seacrh for smartlock), it appears that Fairmont_Krissy has an AU1 Update Fairmont with ABS and the updated smartlock - perhaps a PM to Krissy may help put your mind at ease (ie find out what month her car was built, and if yours is earlier, then yours is fine).
Mine was built Nov '99 and has the flashing hand on the dash.
2003 FULLY OPTIONED MERCURY SILVER BA GT-P BUILD #336
REVERSE CAMERA - SAT NAV - PIONEER SUB & AMP - SUNROOF - DVD PLAYER - CUSTOM DUAL EXHAUST
~Tuned By Bluepower Racing~
Old 10-07-2005, 10:05 AM   #10
GK
Walking with God

Quote:
Here ya go - just found this on autoweb:

"Smartshield

'Smartshield' is an enhanced version of the Smartlock vehicle immobilisation system it replaces.

Smartshield will be standard on all Falcon passenger and light commercial vehicles from June 7th."
JC you've done it again! My Futura was built in May 99! "Missed it by that much!"

Once again the forum and its members have the good oil!

Cheers
Old 05-06-2009, 08:10 PM   #11
Si_Wilson
Starter Motor

My wife has a May 99 AU Fairmont. The problem is that it wont let me program in the key pad. I press the redemister 3 times within 5 sec then the doors should lock and unlock which puts it in training mode.. But nothing happens,, Can anyone help me out
Old 05-06-2009, 08:33 PM   #12
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

yep, we'll help you out when you stop threadmining and start creating new threads
Old 05-06-2009, 08:52 PM   #13
Si_Wilson
Starter Motor

Sorry Mate. Still on L plates. I couldn't work out how to add a thread in the same place as this one? Thanks
Old 05-06-2009, 08:56 PM   #14
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

why flame someone for actually searching? given that what he asked has absolutely nothing to do with the topic that this thread was about, but i really get sick of seeing 2 or 3 or more threads on the same page on the same day about the same thing...

searching is good, it stops all the clutter of new threads...
Old 05-06-2009, 11:03 PM   #15
Mr Hardware

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

sorry mate, just looked at your join date of a year and assumed you'd know

and yes multiple threads asking basic searchable information is annoying, but not as annoying as mined threads revived to ask a basic question.
Old 05-06-2009, 11:11 PM   #16
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yeah, i know what you mean, especially with 4 threads on the same thing....?
Old 05-06-2009, 11:14 PM   #17
Mr Hardware

yeah i know, he's obviously having real trouble with it
i wonder if we should tell him to change batteries or try it on a different car or get another remote from the wreckers or borrow someone elses remote or actually do some resourceful work rather than creating multiple threads
Old 05-06-2009, 11:37 PM   #18
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

On mine, it doesn't cycle through until about the third time I try it. Just keep going, and it will eventually work. Nice threadmine by the way, but good work using the search, i reckon!

Old 06-06-2009, 09:06 AM   #19
whiskers
gone fishing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
yeah i know, he's obviously having real trouble with it
i wonder if we should tell him to change batteries or try it on a different car or get another remote from the wreckers or borrow someone elses remote or actually do some resourceful work rather than creating multiple threads
if you had actually bothered to have a look after you flamed si-wilson you would have noticed that he has done exactley as you told him to do and now no one has answered his question except for in here.
Old 23-04-2010, 08:05 PM   #20
laner
Starter Motor

whats more annoying than someone hijacking a thread, is someone who comes along and flames them for the next 5 or six posts.....tell me its not hypocrisy?

Its up there with posting AGES after a thread is dead.
Old 23-04-2010, 09:20 PM   #21
KR1STO
Just another mock-up..

haha.. what??
random much?

see my car here:
Built my own TL50!!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 23-04-2010, 09:32 PM   #22
lofty
Rusticating

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Excellent article on AU Power window installation. 

Pretty cheeky for a first post...

Territory SYII RWD, BFII RTV tray
Old 23-04-2010, 10:56 PM   #23
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by laner
whats more annoying than someone hijacking a thread, is someone who comes along and flames them for the next 5 or six posts.....tell me its not hypocrisy?

Its up there with posting AGES after a thread is dead.
Like your first post? What's worse is someone thread mining, and then not adding anything useful to the thread!

Old 30-05-2011, 12:44 AM   #24
laner
Starter Motor

Default Re: Smartlock Question

...Kinda like that last comment...and this one also i supose. Where does it end?
Old 30-05-2011, 10:26 AM   #25
GK
Walking with God

Wow, this is some serious thread mining.

Anyway, reading over one of my first threads reminds me how helpful this forum has been to me over the years, and especially how blokes like JC are worth their weight in gold.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
Old 30-05-2011, 11:19 AM   #26
Whoosha
AU DIE HARD
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the things you do behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Old Threads like mines tend to run dry and CLOSE

........Age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth and skill.......

CORTINA 250 2V POWER soon to be AUXR8 Windsor pwrd

.............WINDSOR WARLORD WHO CARRIES THE CLEVO MAFIA AND BROKEN BOSSES...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
Quote of the weekend: "The quarter mile wasn't as long as I expected it to be".
Closed Thread