Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 10-02-2005, 12:02 AM   #1
XRchic
Hello

Default What do you think of the 220 V8 in the BA Fairmont?

Hi guys

My Dad is thinking of getting a new BA V8 Fairmont Ghia. Just wondering if anyone has any opinions on it.

Thanks

Jac

: Cobra :
XRchic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2005, 12:07 AM   #2
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

They are very boring to drive! Specially since they are AUTO!!

Nah joking.

Serious note - they depreciate very heavily and if hes after performance mixed with luxury and has the cash then an XR8 with the Luxury pack for the same money might suit him better. (Plus the resale is a million times better on an XR8 compared to that of a Ghia V8).

In saying that however there are some pretty good deals on 04 plates, so if he can find a GHIA V8 he might get it for a bargain price neways. There is basically no advantage in buying a V8 Ghia however as six cylinder is just as powerful in standard format!

Good luck!
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2005, 12:11 AM   #3
FNQracing
RAGE Engineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRchic
Hi guys

My Dad is thinking of getting a new BA V8 Fairmont Ghia. Just wondering if anyone has any opinions on it.

Thanks

Jac
A *very* nice drive. A performance car it ins'nt, but a competent handler, and a responsive engine. The Fairmont is the better drive (handling wise) but the Ghia gives you the extra bling at the expense of handling. Could really use some extra ponies tho....
Old 10-02-2005, 12:12 AM   #4
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Also theres about $5000 off retail on 04 Ghia Stock, so taht pretty much buys you the V8 option for nothing. However getting back to it you can buy XR8s for less money in stock format and they come standard with the Six stack (prestige sound) and the 18 inch alloys.

At the end of the day if he can go without Climate Control and Leather then that would be the cheaper way to go, not to mention the better donk and resale!
Old 10-02-2005, 12:12 AM   #5
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

Explain to me please how a 182kw IL6 is just as powerful as a 220kw V8.
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2005, 12:15 AM   #6
FNQracing
RAGE Engineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShockWaveXR6na
There is basically no advantage in buying a V8 Ghia however as six cylinder is just as powerful in standard format!
The V8 will put a smile on your face. The I6, well you don't even know its there really.

Even thought the V8 is heavier, you will appreciate the extra go in the 8. No question.
Old 10-02-2005, 12:20 AM   #7
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Basically because of the extra weight the V8 carries and the poor performance ability of the 220 motor! It would be quicker down the quarter mile, but you would hardly notice a difference when driving the two. I think the 220 does the quarter mile in 15.1 where as the I6 does it in 15.3, but dont quote me on that!
Old 10-02-2005, 12:22 AM   #8
MrSparkle
An Old Boss™©
Contributing Member

Quote:
Hi guys

Thanks

Jac
Depends on his driving style! If he's a typical "old man", or even as far up the scale as a "self proclaimed semi-car-nut", then it's a pretty good thing. From about 7-8 tenths, you start to notice things like the WAY low limiter, and slightly softer suspension tune compared to the XR range, but for the majority of the time it is a very comfortable and capable cruiser.

If he really wants a bit more grunt then go for an auto XR8 with leather and sound like the guys are saying.

Ultimately, he really should drive both and decide. They are quite similiar in some ways and very different in others! :
Old 10-02-2005, 01:15 AM   #9
XRchic
Hello

Thanks guys!

Hehe, yes I realise it only comes in auto! The thing is that my Dad and I have both driven the V8 Fairmont Ghia and the XR8 in the manual. I didnt go for the Ghia much, but he sort of liked it. And we both LOVED the XR8! I know what *I* would get, without a doubt.

He liked the fact that the V8 felt quite nice. I still reckon the XR8 with luxury pack is much better. Resale is also an issue, but as some have said on here already, he could pick an 04 plate one up for a decent price, and I think he has seen one for a decent price around here, which has gotten him thinking.

He changes his mind every day, so who knows what he will be looking at tomorrow! A G220 or something!!! Hehe.

Anyways, thanks fellas!

Old 10-02-2005, 01:26 AM   #10
BA GT-HO
Bring back Ambrose!

I almost bought one before the XR6T, dark blue, V8 and 18 inch XR rims on it. Looked bloody nice but to be honest the V8 was a bit uninspiring.. But once it got moving it was ok. The ride was ultra nice, you really notice the difference going from an XR to a Ghia, way smoother and plusher. It is ideal if you just want a cruiser. With a nice exhaust (not too loud) I would love to have one. But I am still a young hoon so I went for the XR6T
BA GT-HO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2005, 01:41 AM   #11
RATT

The sohc V8 has it's advantages over the 6 particularly the midrange. And of course the nice, but quiet, induction roar at full throttle.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2005, 10:39 AM   #12
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hahah talking G220 theres about $15,000 bonus on 04 Fairlanes! I know that applys to Ghias, but not sure about the G220. Had a customer get one for around $42,000 drive away with 9 kms on the clock but only an I6.
Old 10-02-2005, 11:09 AM   #13
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Very good cruisers. You should be able to get a good deal because there not exactly selling like hot cakes. If I was you Id either wait for an update and get a new one, or be satisfied with what it is and get a run-out model.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2005, 11:11 AM   #14
WASP
Whipple Induced

Quote:
A G220 or something!!! Hehe.
Hey Jac,

There are quite a few G220's on www.carsales.com.au in S.A. going for as low as $46k- mainly in pearl blue. They are a beautiful thing to drive as to is the Fairmont Ghia. Fairmont Ghia V8's average around mid to high $30's for a good one with low km's. If your Dad holds on to his cars for more than 3 yrs I would'nt worry 'too' much about resale.
Old 10-02-2005, 11:15 AM   #15
WASP
Whipple Induced

Quote:
but not sure about the G220. Had a customer get one for around $42,000 drive away with 9 kms on the clock but only an I6.
Hi ShockWaveXR6na,
The G220 only come with the 5.4 V8. Only the Fairlane Ghia has a I6 option. They can sell in the low $40K as you said if you can find one.

Last edited by WASP; 10-02-2005 at 11:16 AM.
WASP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2005, 12:37 PM   #16
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

I looked at a '04 G220 recently, $49999 drive away, only missing sat nav. Great deals going around for that type of car.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2005, 12:38 PM   #17
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Have you thought of a 04 Mk1 GT-P, all the comforts of a Ghia and a bit more go.
There are a number of them in manual and auto that are available at a very good price.
Most are demonstrators but have been made so for financial reasons and have bugger all Ks on them.
I know of a Envi one with leather up here that would be in the low 60s if pushed hard
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2005, 08:07 PM   #18
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDAA
Hi ShockWaveXR6na,
The G220 only come with the 5.4 V8. Only the Fairlane Ghia has a I6 option. They can sell in the low $40K as you said if you can find one.
Correct, that was what i was trying to say!

Still a very cheap option!
Old 10-02-2005, 08:31 PM   #19
GlennBA
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The V8 fairmonts are awesome. Very nice. I did work exp at a brizzy ford dealer and we got to road test one of these. It still had plenty of go in it, even comparing it to a BA XR8 we also road tested there.
GlennBA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2005, 08:43 PM   #20
b2tf
not here much anymore

Id buy one in a second, my kinda car - smooth luxury, but can still scare the driver next to you if you want it to.
Old 10-02-2005, 09:18 PM   #21
XRchic
Hello

Actually, I got it slightly wrong. Dad is looking at the Fairmont V8, NOT the Ghia. If he was lookingat the Ghia, he would just get the XR8 with the luxury pack as some have suggested here, but he doesnt want to spend that much.

He would love a GT(-P) but he doesnt want to spend that much at the moment - thats a retirement dream. He will be doing a fair few km for work over the next year or two before he retires, so his dream car will come after that.

He was also wondering about the 220 V8 motor, whether there has been any trouble with oil usage as with some GTs etc... any bad stories? I wouldnt think so coz people dont generally flog Fairmonts, but I dunno.

Hey thanks for all the info and suggestions too, guys!

Old 10-02-2005, 09:55 PM   #22
b2tf
not here much anymore

I havent heard of any issues with the 220 V8 at all. I will ask around tomorrow though.
Old 10-02-2005, 10:03 PM   #23
Kenaz
Donating Member
Donating Member1

I reckon the BA Fairmont Ghia V8 is the most underrated car in the BA lineup. As for the Fairmont? Too soft for my liking.
Kenaz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2005, 10:33 PM   #24
FNQracing
RAGE Engineering

Quote:
He was also wondering about the 220 V8 motor, whether there has been any trouble with oil usage as with some GTs etc... any bad stories? I wouldnt think so coz people dont generally flog Fairmonts, but I dunno.)
There were a *very* small batch of bad piston rings delivered to the chaps at FPV. Other than that, I have heard of absolutely no dramas with the 5.4, in any guise.

Even the probs with the LS1 are largely blown out of proportion.
Old 10-02-2005, 11:07 PM   #25
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The Fairmont - Different story.

Only comes with 16 inch alloys to... No Sports IRS unless optoined! And the resale would be even worse!
Old 10-02-2005, 11:16 PM   #26
XRchic
Hello

Quote:
The Fairmont - Different story.

Only comes with 16 inch alloys to... No Sports IRS unless optoined! And the resale would be even worse!
I totally agree with you ShockWave, 100%. However, the one thing he would do with the Fairmont is option the sports IRS and get the 17 inch wheels etc... that he DID say....

I would still go for the XR8 myself, but I guess its his choice. I dunno what hes gonna get in the end LOL

Hey ShockWave, love the colour of your car! We should be ordering a Shockwave XR6T in March... its looking that way... its the only colour I like besides black! Hehe.

Old 11-02-2005, 02:36 AM   #27
TCK-098

Honestly if they are made off the same floor pattern why not have the 260 engine across all ranges including Territory and utes to keep guys like me happy instead of a measly 220 engine jeez a 10year old car has that standard. _ :
Old 11-02-2005, 07:33 AM   #28
XplosiveR6
Viper FG XR6 Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bundybear
Honestly if they are made off the same floor pattern why not have the 260 engine across all ranges including Territory and utes to keep guys like me happy instead of a measly 220 engine jeez a 10year old car has that standard. _ :
because the boss 260s need a bonnet buldge and it makes the xr8 alot more individual
XplosiveR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2005, 11:09 AM   #29
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I totally agree with you ShockWave, 100%. However, the one thing he would do with the Fairmont is option the sports IRS and get the 17 inch wheels etc... that he DID say....

I would still go for the XR8 myself, but I guess its his choice. I dunno what hes gonna get in the end LOL

Hey ShockWave, love the colour of your car! We should be ordering a Shockwave XR6T in March... its looking that way... its the only colour I like besides black! Hehe.
Thanks for that!

Im a little dissapointed with the colour now that everyones running out and buying XTs/Futuras in it, it looks cheap in the standard models. It however does looks pretty sexy in the XR's.

I think with the Fairmont Even if you do option a V8 17 inch wheels are apparently mandatory, which in effect means the sports IRS is also mandatory but I have seen a few in the V8 with the standard 16s so who knows!

The bigger wheels are a must tho, they finish the Fairmont off a bit better :

Another very good option atm if Climate control isnt important would be the BA Mark II SR V8, which obviously comes with the V8, Body Kit, 17s, Spoiler, Sports Interior, Six Stacker, Full Power Windows, Leather Sports wheel and also the Sports IRS. :

Last edited by Smoke Pursuit; 11-02-2005 at 11:16 AM.
Old 11-02-2005, 04:15 PM   #30
Mr. CVE
If it aint Blown it Sucks

i was looking around and didn't know what to buy last december. ended up buying a ba ghia v8
was looking for fairmonts at the time but liked all the little things the ghia had.

I can always hot up the 220 motor to beat the xr8 anyway !!

the motor itself is super smooth and is way better then the 6.

oh mines up to 187 rw kw now !!

getting there !!

oh make sure you option up the colour screen !!

I now have dvd and sat nav all in my car computer !! all on the factory screen !
:hihi:
320 rwkw, 810 nm torque, 280rwkw @3000 rpm !! :thebirds:
Now for sale
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11296772

Thanks to Snort Performance, Headsex and CVE
Street car DeTomaso Pantera
Drag car 1995 Mustang, Haleys Comet ( It's back !)
Power by CVE
Melbourne's first SNIPER Tuner :
Now tuning E series

Last edited by Mr. CVE; 11-02-2005 at 04:16 PM.
Mr. CVE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post