Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 16-09-2008, 02:46 AM   #1
EB-maen
Rise, Toybota!

Default Thinking of selling the EB

Greetings all, and has it been a while! I've been out and about traveling and studying for the better part of the last two years and as a result haven't posted for a while, but I've still been e-series-ing it up whenever possible (speaking of which, I was going through Hawthorne, Brisbane a few weeks ago on my way to Woolworths when I spotted oed666 and the rest of the 4 litre number plate gang. I didn't realise I wasn't the only e-series owner in that area. I would have beeped or something but I was in a friend's magna at the time, lol).

Anyway, I'll back in Brisbane for a while soon and I am trying to decide if I should part with my precious EB; I still love how it looks, sounds and drives but considering I use public transport or my bike to get to work and have access to other cars, I just don't know if I really have that much use for a car this big anymore.

I took it down to my regular mechanic on the Gold Coast just to get an idea of the state of everything, and the dilemma I'm faced with at the moment is if I should consider selling it without a roadworthy to someone who is easily able to fix what needs doing through their own sources, or pay to get the issues fixed and then sell it with the roadworthy for a bit more. These are the major things he has recommended fixing after giving it an inspection (I'm not a mechanic by any definition, but this is what I can remember to the best of my ability):
  1. brake discs need to be replaced
  2. two tyres will need to be replaced soon
  3. transmission mount bolt needs to be replaced
  4. exhaust bracket needs to be replaced
  5. small amount of brake fluid has leaked into the engine bay which may need addressing
and this is what he suggested fixing:
  1. the hinge for the driver's door not keeping the door open in stages (the door still opens and shuts fine, it just doesn't snap into those staggered open positions)
  2. driver's seat belt doesn't automatically retract fully (it still locks when pulled on rapidly, i.e. in an accident, I just have to feed it back into the pillar)

Here's an overview of the car itself and major mods I've done:
  • Late (December IIRC) 1992 EBII Sedan (6 cylinder)
  • 220,000kms
  • Complete EB GT kit
  • 17" x 7.5" wheels
  • Dark, mirror-finish window tint (done by MotorOne)
  • 2.5" Lukey exhaust system (mandrel bent tail pipe)
  • Mongoose alarm system
  • King superlow springs
  • Pioneer CD/MP3 head unit, 2x Pioneer 180w 3-ways, boxed Sony 12" 800w sub + amp (the stereo system is a couple of years old now but it is still in perfect working order and the output is more than ample for sensible use)

Minor mods:
  • Steering wheel (looks identical to the Momo 'Millenium Evo')
  • Mint condition Fairmont Ghia garnish
  • Fairmont clock
  • S pack cluster
  • XH intake + K&N panel filter
  • AU3 fairmont repeaters
  • Blue LED ring/fog lights installed in the front bar

These are the most recent photos I have of the car, taken earlier this year. Nothing has changed since they were taken:

I've looked after this car so well over the five years that I've owned it and have put a fair amount of money into it, and although it has never given me any trouble (apart from making me find alternate routes into places that have horribly steep gutters) I think it might be time to move on. Does anyone here have any thoughts on the roadworthy situation and what I should be looking for dollar wise either way? Or, is anyone possibly interested in a nice looking EB which could actually be great for an engine swap (not that there's anything wrong with the current one, but the ticking time-bomb that is the headgasket hasn't gone yet *sinister music*).

13.156 @ 110kph... down the highway :P

EB-maen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2008, 10:53 AM   #2
Mickus
Banned

Hey man been a while since Ive seen you on the forums! Dont sell it! keep it! Your car is awesome, your car inspired me to get a GT kit for mine, I love how it looks, just pain awesome, those things that need fixing seriously only sound like minor problems, sounds like your looking for an excuse to sell it? i suggest doing something new for your car as well as get these things fixed. Might I suggest colour coded EL mirrors and door handles? ive got them on mine and it sets the GT kit off like crazy!

How do those blue ring driving lights look at night? i just fitted some normal ones in the car but often wondered how the blue rings ones would look. How annoying are steep gutters? i raped the underside of my bar on my driveway :(
Mickus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2008, 03:45 PM   #3
TOASTED
JMM modded EF

hopefully just the encouragement he needed

Guess the alcohol tax is turning people to mind altering drugs.
I drive : A heavily modified EF Fairmont with a JMM dev5 cam, worked head, 3.5" mandrel bent intake, exhaust, and a few other bits n pieces like a stally etc.

"She goes like a zirtek"

WANT A FAST FORD RING THIS BLOKE V V

Abbott Engines for HeadWork
20 years experience
PH Rob on (07) 5526 3883
TOASTED is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2008, 06:41 PM   #4
EB-maen
Rise, Toybota!

Thanks, Mickus, that's really nice of you to say. I can imagine that the mirrors and door handles would look great, I've always wanted to at least do my mirrors in white. As far as the LEDs go, they're pretty cool. They aren't that bright or anything which is good because they don't dazzle other motorists, but they are still very noticeable. I bought them from Kmart for $60 or something over a year ago now.

Don't get me started on gutters though, lol. Most of the places around and in Brisbane (including car parks which is actually extremely inconvenient) are too steep for me to get into without doing damage to the front bar due to the idiotically shaped streets that curve away at 40 degrees down into the gutters. The main reason I'm thinking about selling it though is because someone I know will be selling a late '04 focus with 30,000kms (auto, mercury silver, 17" ford rims, tint, heaps of options) pretty soon. He's going to hold off until I let him know what I want to do, but I know for a fact it is a very well looked after car and he's going to sell it to me for seven to eight grand, which I would be crazy to pass up.

I do want a slightly smaller, newer, more economic car (especially since I will be going back to university next year) so it's highly likely that I will put the EB up for sale soon. I was just thinking that someone with mechanical know-how might be interested in buying it cheap, knowing what needs fixing, and then doing it up themselves for next to nothing.

13.156 @ 110kph... down the highway :P

EB-maen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2008, 08:49 PM   #5
ROOSTA
DFDFDF

Great looking car mate and i think it would be a shame for you to let it go..

With that said Depending on the price i may be interested..

Cheers,
Nik
ROOSTA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2008, 08:52 PM   #6
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

The issues you've outlined above are extremely minor, but I'd be selling it without RWC personally.
private9 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2008, 09:52 PM   #7
DEVL-XR
EBII XR6

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Thats a hot car, only needs a few more things done to it to finish it off! If you do sell it I hope the new owner treats it well.

Mick do those pics inspire you to stop looking and start finding some GT skirts and flares!! :P
Old 17-09-2008, 10:12 PM   #8
Grechie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

very nice car man dont get rid of it ;)
Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 - 255/35/19 - 275/35/19
Shockworks Coilovers
PITLANE AUTOMOTIVE & PERFORMANCE
Grechie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2008, 06:23 PM   #9
Mickus
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEVL-XR
Thats a hot car, only needs a few more things done to it to finish it off! If you do sell it I hope the new owner treats it well.

Mick do those pics inspire you to stop looking and start finding some GT skirts and flares!! :P
baby!

Ive been looking like a cut snake theyre just not around!
Mickus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post