Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 09-02-2012, 04:59 PM   #61
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

Default Re: Nice Watches

that is kind of freaky hey. pic i got of the net as its sitting on my old mans arm at work.
the first one on a bloody nice watch but i hated paying for the name and the girlfriend wouldnt even look at a tudor. if anyones interested only ever pay 70% of retail price for a 'brand' watch.
Giant Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2012, 05:04 PM   #62
Peter B - CV8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken2903
Yeah, It's been stuck at the same time for a while now. I was going to open it up but i'm worried I won't be able to put it back together
I wouldn't worry mate . It's still showing the correct time at least twice each day.....
Peter B - CV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2012, 05:10 PM   #63
HVAC PRO

didn't even know this thread existed other then cars watches are a real passion of mine have a little collection of my own and plenty on the I want list... I'm at work at the moment will post some pics when i get home just picked up a Raymond Weil Freelancer chrono..really nice watch and very comfy on the wrist.
HVAC PRO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2012, 11:20 PM   #64
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'd love a Breitling...

I'll settle for a watch my daughter gave me...it's a Citizen Promaster sailors watch. Got hands as well as three small round digital dials and one screen at the top for different readouts.
My daughter paid $400 for it quite a few years back.

My favorite watches I own are my late fathers Swiss Made "Unicorn" brand "Amphibian Incabloc" wristwatch...it's pretty basic with just hands and no date or anything, your typical sixties watch. However, I have been told that it was a "secondary make" that Rolex made...anyone know if this is true? Doesn't matter as it will never be sold, but would be nice to know...

Yes I know the band says "Hong Kong"...it's a new band...

The next one is my great grandfathers pocket watch. On the front face it says "Made In England for W. Hood, Childers" (the jewellers in Childers, Queensland). Unscrewing the back cover shows a beautiful mechanism that has been restored and works fine, with "Warranteed English" in a curve around part of the plating, and also "7 Jewels". Inside the back cover it says in a little circle, oddly enough, "Illinois Watch Case Co", and in the center of this circle it says "Nickel Eglin U.S.A".
More interestingly, back then they would scratch a tiny date inside the back cover when something had been done to the watch...two dates I found were "6/8/12" and "30/9/12". Nearer the center is a date "Dec 1991", which is when it was restored, a couple of tiny gears had to be made for it and a new mainspring. The "cracks" are in the porcelain face, not the glass.

Every man deserves a good watch...

Last edited by 2011G6E; 09-02-2012 at 11:28 PM.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2012, 11:28 PM   #65
Spammy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Unicorn Watches:
In the 1920s and 30s, Rolex has numerous secondary brands, similar to what the Tudor brand is today. One of those brands was the Unicorn. You may find these wrist and pocket watches with an unsigned dial, but Unicorn signed movement, For those of you unfamiliar with the name Unicorn, please see Cooksey Shugart's Complete Price Guide to Watches. At the back of the Rolex section is a partial list of brands that Rolex once distributed, as Rolex either set up or bought subsidiary companies with names like Bucherer, Marconi, Rolco, Genex, Unicorn.

This Unicorn watch was produced by RWAG (Rolex Watch AG) Germany was subsidiary company of Rolex Watch Company (RWC). IN 1960'S Unicorn watch was no longer under Rolex SA
Spammy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2012, 11:27 PM   #66
Airmon
King of the Fairy's.

I used to love my watches, have some buried somewhere, but I stopped wearing them for a few years, recently got back into them and got a new job where I can't wear a watch :(

While you experts are gathered, whats a decent watch with a moderate price? Obviously the bit names are all great and expensive, but not much is said about your everyday kind of watch.
Airmon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2012, 11:49 PM   #67
NC1183
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I run Casio G-Shock watches everyday and haven't had a drama, till i started my new job, i work on powerlines while they are turned on and i think that may have killed my last G-Shock, but the constant punishment i gave it before hand didn't hurt it at all. I trying to find a new G-Shock that i like, looking at the "Mudman" and will prob get one of the Gravity Defying series as a black dress watch for my wedding.

2005 FPV BF Super Pursuit

The new toy (now sold)
The SP

The old ute (sold)
www.aufalcon.com/nc1183

Build Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by F6T
If you look closely you can see the remains of a Hyundai excel that’s been sucked into the intake.
about the pic of 'CHOP YA' F6
NC1183 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2012, 11:59 PM   #68
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airmon

While you experts are gathered, whats a decent watch with a moderate price? Obviously the bit names are all great and expensive, but not much is said about your everyday kind of watch.
Define moderate?
I really like Stowa watches. I am going to buy one soon. The Marine watches they sell are around 1000 euro.

Tissot PRC watches are reasonably cheap.

You can look here for some ideas
http://forums.watchuseek.com/forum.php
Old 11-02-2012, 02:31 AM   #69
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

oris is bang for your buck and so is certina but hard to find in australia. hamiltons can also be reasonable but also hard to find
Old 11-02-2012, 09:59 AM   #70
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E
I'd love a Breitling............
My favorite watches I own are my late fathers Swiss Made "Unicorn" brand "Amphibian Incabloc" wristwatch...it's pretty basic with just hands and no date or anything, your typical sixties watch.

I the early sixties in Sydney, you were offered Unicorn watches in just about any inner city pub. I bought one for $4.00 and it was a good watch. Don't ask me where they came from.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2012, 10:40 AM   #71
raised by monkeys
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have a titanium citizen eco drive. I had this one:

But my gym bag was stolen out of my car and the watch was in a little hidden pocket inside the bag (so the watch didnt get stolen at the gym ). There was nothing else in my bag besides stinky gloves, lifting straps and a water bottle (filthy animals). Claimed insurance and now have this one (slightly different face though):

Chose an eco drive because i was playing a lot of golf and they keep charge by sun light and slight movement. It is my daily. Wear it everywhere. Its my first watch which has lasted more than 3 months. Had it 2 years now.

Current
SY FPV F6X Territory #214
Previous
FG MkII G6E Turbo built by Heinrichs Performance and Tuning
BFII FPV TORNADO #0021 351rwkw - Heinrich Performance and Tuning

"Milk is for babies. When you grow up you have to drink beer" - Arnold Schwarzenegger
raised by monkeys is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2012, 02:18 PM   #72
Dusty1
Giddy up!

I have Monaco with steel band for everyday wear. No point in having a nice watch and not wearing it.

Also have a Casio compass/temp watch which I wear sometimes. I do like watches with hands, and I was looking at a Seiko military auto watch put of Singapore for about $150, which seemed very reasonable for an auto watch.
Previous:
Oct 07 built Mondeo TDCi hatch, Stardust Silver, bluetooth, leather, tow pack, sunroof.
Dusty1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2012, 06:14 PM   #73
sarrge2001
SZII in Silhouette

I have been wearing my late Dad's watch since he died in 1985.

It's nothing spectacular, just an Orient - bung in a battery every couple of years and it soldiered on. But i liked the look of it and it had sentimental value - and I don't think twenty odd years is a bad effort for what was an inexpensive watch

But

It's finally given up the ghost - I don't think it likes the humididty here in Darwin. So I started looking around for something I liked.

Nothing fancy - a watch, with a face that my eyes could read it without glasses. It didn't have to be a name brand, or the latest "in" thing.....

I liked the Rado but couldn't justify the cost.

I liked the Tag Carrera but couldn't justify that cost either.

But I still bought it........

And I like it - which is all that matters.......

Strangers have the best candy.......
sarrge2001 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2012, 08:38 PM   #74
AC/DC
" Let there be Rock "

Nice Tag !
AC/DC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2012, 09:18 PM   #75
Cheese3
The BEST Falcon is the AU

I rock with the Nixon rotolog.
I have 3 in different colors for different occasions.
The watch looks very different thats why I like it and feels comfortable. The design is not for everyone
Cheese3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2012, 09:43 PM   #76
Kynan
Sound of a V8 = Bliss

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken2903

What's the time?

Hair past a freckle yea?
Kynan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2012, 04:19 PM   #77
basteve
real aussies drive aussie

I am getting the breitling navitimer next week. Somehow this watch really appeals to me. Looked at it at HardyBros and getting it on tuesday.
basteve is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2012, 08:07 PM   #78
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I was talking to one of my workmates at my casual job, who is in his 70s, I noticed he had an old looking watch on and I asked him where he got it from.

He told me it cost him $800 from Sweeden in the 1970s...

Holy crap, $800 is a lot of money now, let alone back in the 70s.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2012, 09:02 PM   #79
Pis-ton broke
Banned

I,m a watch collector and enthusit. There are some real nice watch on here. I have a SEIKO KINETIC ARCTURA I brought myself after working in the mines in the later '90,s , it cost something like $900. Recently I had the band replaced and to my surprize learned that this model has retained its value very well. Seiko has a spring drive that I like, not cheap.
I brought some Schaffer watches off ebay (cheapies) I just liked the style of them.
It would be nice to put on a nice dress watch when going out, and goes with slipping on fine leather shoes. I think says something about a person.(yeah, they have money,ha,ha)
I like Cartier, Longines, Patek Philippe, Bell and Ross to name a few. Totally out of my price range.
My work watch (i,m a tradesman) is a casio, execllent value for the money and goes good.
Pis-ton broke is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2012, 09:18 PM   #80
Pis-ton broke
Banned

If you can live with yourself for buying a imaition and that can,t afford the real deal, there are sites that sell high quality knock offs of the very expense watchs. And even these watches run into the hundres of dollars.
Old 23-03-2012, 09:35 PM   #81
Pis-ton broke
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by basteve
I am getting the breitling navitimer next week. Somehow this watch really appeals to me. Looked at it at HardyBros and getting it on tuesday.
lucky you, sent us some pics when you get it.
Old 23-03-2012, 11:02 PM   #82
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Ooer watches

I have this as my daily driver, a Seiko 5 automatic:

And this as my dressy/going out watch, a Citizen Sapphire Automatic:

http://www.skywatches.com.sg/reviews...np1004-54a.htm

I'm a bit of a sucker for Japanese automatic watches.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2013, 06:45 PM   #83
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

so in the last 4 months i finally got my steinhart 10 months late!
and i needed a new work watch and as i needed something tough and i wont wear gshocks
steihart fleiger

and the luminox 3040, it has a 25 year warranty on the night vision tubes. no lume for me

quick dark shot
Old 24-01-2013, 12:58 AM   #84
Rev28K
re

Location: Victoria - where being slow & incompetent is considered being "safe"

Just cheapies:

Phillipe Stark - very impractical, but looks nice. Typical Stark product
http://www.klepsoo.com/en/philippe-s...rn-ph1116.html

spare Gym watch (iPod). if I leave my phone or other media players behind. This probably wont happen as often as I'm going to be tethering my car keys to my phone with a virtual leash.
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...uch-watch-kits

Kisai Seven 7RON (TRON) watch - very, very impractical.
http://lazytechguys.com/reviews/kisa...-watch-review/

coming: Pebble "smart" watch. Variable displays, displays emails, controls iPhone media play options. There will be a lot more of these coming out in the future. Various apps, etc.
http://getpebble.com
Scuderia Rev: Otto the tow pig - 2007 3.0 litre Coupé, vernünftig schnelle aber kein peilstab, Bathurst 2007 und 2010 zwölf Stunde Gewinner Jaffa the angry ant - mid 70's Honda 市民の, 73 と立方インチ LSD Elle "the body" shell - early 70's Datsun フェアレディ coupe. いい体は彼女の内側、内側と土台を待つ
Rev28K is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post: