Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 15-12-2008, 12:49 AM   #1
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Question Eeny, meeny, miny moe...

The Mrs has half given the nod to get a new car and I can't decide on what to get.

I'm looking at a 2007 XR6, Futura or Fairmont and will be getting a gas conversion done.
We currently have a BA Futura on dedicated gas. I have a 351 XC for the fun driving bits.

I love the ride of the Futura but am just wondering what the so called "sports suspension" in an XR6 is like, considering the wife will be driving it most times.

I've spotted a yummy orange XR6 with 32 k on the clock for 23 grand that will look fantastic parked alongside my yellow XC.

I know if the ride is a bit harsh she'll want to stick to a Futura or Monty.
Can I have some feedback from some owners please.
Cheers.

Old 15-12-2008, 01:45 AM   #2
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

The "XR Suspension" magnifies the bumps that you'd never feel in the Futura. However, it is very sure-footed and handles 103 times better as well as being alot safer than the standard suspension, especially at higher speeds... very controllable. The difference is very well worth her trying it. She may find it a little firm, but she'll be right, she'll get used to it.

The "Sports Suspension" is available on the SR and the Ghia only, it fits between the XT/Futura/Fairmont stock suspension and the "XR Suspension". I haven't sampled this to tell you anything about it, but one would guess it's probably right for her...

If you're going to spend $23k make sure you're getting one with a ZF gearbox. Crazy not to. Good luck.
Falc'man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2008, 02:15 AM   #3
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falc'man
The "XR Suspension" magnifies the bumps that you'd never feel in the Futura. However, it is very sure-footed and handles 103 times better as well as being alot safer than the standard suspension, especially at higher speeds... very controllable. The difference is very well worth her trying it. She may find it a little firm, but she'll be right, she'll get used to it.

The "Sports Suspension" is available on the SR and the Ghia only, it fits between the XT/Futura/Fairmont stock suspension and the "XR Suspension". I haven't sampled this to tell you anything about it, but one would guess it's probably right for her...

If you're going to spend $23k make sure you're getting one with a ZF gearbox. Crazy not to. Good luck.
In my opinion, this is the best of the three B series suspension tunes in many areas. It rides 99% as good as the base car, but has less float and roll in the rear. It also has better control at speed. For a family car driven by the missus it is probably the way to go, and of course if you can source the parts (wreckers, ebay etc.) you can just mount up that springs you need, i'm not sure if the dampers are even different. This way you have the look of an XR etc. but the ride of a ghia etc.

In my opinion though the B series XR is quite a nice riding car, maybe too nice. It has too much float still mid corner for my liking, but has less roll and greater stabiliy. the AU/E series XRs were harder compared to their luxury cousins (as is the case with FG so i have heard....), the B series XRs aren't that much different at low speeds anyway. It comes down to waht you are used too, i like my cars to point well and have good mechanical grip, if the ride is a bit firm so be it (as long as it isn't crashy/bone jarring).

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Airdam Mounted CAI with modified (bellmouth) airbox
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks
Bridgestone Adrenalin tyres

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Swordsman88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2008, 02:26 AM   #4
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks guys but I'm not too worried about how she handles at speed & cornering, the wife isn't that quick.
Good thought on the ZF box too Falcman, I'll check on that, when did they start fitting them do you know?
The ad for the car says sports suspension so I wasn't sure if was a mod or factory.
Old 15-12-2008, 07:56 AM   #5
prydey
Rob

i have a ba futura wagon which is basically the wife's car. i've put xr6 springs in it to firm up the ride and she loves it. by no means is it a rough ride but it gets rid of the floatyness of the futura, esp edging forward in carparks and stuff.

go the xr6. i doubt you would find the suspension too firm.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2008, 09:28 AM   #6
bathurst77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Try an SR or Ghia with the Sports Touring Suspension, Not as firm as XR, but not as floaty as Futura/XT/Fairmont. Its real nice

This was std on any (non XR/FPV) Falcon sold with factory 17" wheels
bathurst77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2008, 01:06 PM   #7
PoMmYwOG

i've found after during the 2 yrs i've owned mine, the XR6 suspension isnt that firm IMO, could even be a bit firmer for a sports model, other than that, it handles really well for a standard ford i rekon.

The steering is excellent too, i can use the steering wheel with the palm of one hand when parking easily and for cornering etc i find it is responsive and points you in the direction you want to go with minimal movement (my previous commodore was shocking).

The std suspension is softer/smoother but at 110km/h i feel the XR6 feels flatter and more stable.

Also keep in mind the XR6/Ghia has the higher diff ratio too, it makes it feel alot more lively than std i think, but might use a tiny bit more fuel on the highway with increased cruising RPM (sits at 1950 @ 100km/h compared to 1750 or so in the std models).

06' Mazda SP23
5spd auto
Luxury pack
PoMmYwOG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2008, 07:31 PM   #8
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks all, I'll try for a test drive this week work permitting.
Old 15-12-2008, 07:48 PM   #9
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee
Thanks guys but I'm not too worried about how she handles at speed & cornering, the wife isn't that quick.
Good thought on the ZF box too Falcman, I'll check on that, when did they start fitting them do you know?
The ad for the car says sports suspension so I wasn't sure if was a mod or factory.
BF Mk1 was standard on Ghia, XR6T and XR8 only. And only optional on XR6, and maybe Fairmont?
BF Mk2 is as above, but optional across the board, apart from the SR.

If you want the ZF with sports suspension look out for the ES model (Petrol only); apart from the body kit and a couple of other things this was a Ghia. Bloody cheap too.

Check this out, just over 1000km!!! In your neck of the woods too. They'd sell you that for 23 no probs.
http://www.carsales.com.au/used-cars...d=11E3BF58C5D2

This is looks like it's at the same dealer, same km's but "Ego" instead of "Kashmir"
Old 15-12-2008, 07:52 PM   #10
seduced_xr
BF XR6

your high points of an xr6

-5 spoke alloys
-6 speed auto (its worth looking around for)
-Leather steering wheel
-Lowered suspension.
- body kit
-spoiler
- fog lamps

and ontop of that it doesnt just look like another pov pack company car.
BA Falcon XR6 [JS92WA]in Winter White, 6 Speed ZF - BF Tail Lights, Pacemaker Twin 2.5" catback DBA Gold Series Rotors, 5% tint >>ITS BACK - The REBUILD IS ON, BF 2 Ghia 3v V8 5.4L, Full Fairmont Ghia Interior with FPV GTP seats,Boss Bonnet,BF Front End, DJR 302 Rear Wing, BF steering Column with BF ignition and FG keys, <<

2010 FG Falcon XR6 [XRLNT] in Lightning Strike, 6 Speed Auto - 15% Tint, Ipod, Bluetooth, Climate Control, custom plates, DJR 302 Wing
seduced_xr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2008, 12:17 AM   #11
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falc'man
BF Mk1 was standard on Ghia, XR6T and XR8 only. And only optional on XR6, and maybe Fairmont?
BF Mk2 is as above, but optional across the board, apart from the SR.

If you want the ZF with sports suspension look out for the ES model (Petrol only); apart from the body kit and a couple of other things this was a Ghia. Bloody cheap too.

Check this out, just over 1000km!!! In your neck of the woods too. They'd sell you that for 23 no probs.

This is looks like it's at the same dealer, same km's but "Ego" instead of "Kashmir"
Good spot with those cars Falcman, even though I'm well over 40 they're a bit Grandpah ish for me. The wife does like the Kashmir colour.
So when they advertise 6 speed, does that mean its the ZF box, I'm old school, FMX for me.
Old 16-12-2008, 12:40 AM   #12
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

lol yeah if it says "6 speed semi-auto" it's the ZF mate.