Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 22-08-2009, 04:22 PM   #1
jafa4rd
Starter Motor

Default Oz WS Fiesta's Rear Wheel Negative Camber excessive???

Hi all
Just admiring my daughter's new zetec and noticed the rear tires wearing on the inside tread more than outside. 195/45R16 fitted.
On closer inspection it seems the rear wheels have excessive negative camber i.e. the wheels are leaning in at the top.

Is this normal for this model?
Your comments would be appreciated.

jafa4rd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2009, 06:28 PM   #2
south21

I stand corrected but as far as I know the fiesta does NOT have independant rear suspension and thats the only way you will get negative camber on the rear, I would get it checked. My tyres wear dead even.
south21 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2009, 07:38 PM   #3
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Nope. Not on mine.
Old 22-08-2009, 07:42 PM   #4
Fi.ES.TA

Or mine and ive done just short of 5,600k's
Fi.ES.TA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2009, 09:16 AM   #5
greenfoam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Done near on 25,000ks here and still got more than half way to go on the front tyres let alone the rear and there's no camber on the back (it's a beam axle)
greenfoam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2009, 03:40 PM   #6
jafa4rd
Starter Motor

Hi guys thanks for your comments.
Now I'm worried.
I used a spirit level..pressed it against the bottom side edge of the tyre (no tyre bulge) and adjusted the top for vertical (air bubble) - definately lean in. I guesstimate 1-1.5 deg negative. Here's some photos

I did the same of the front wheels & they are very close to vertical.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (139.9 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (138.5 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (138.6 KB, 50 views)

Last edited by jafa4rd; 23-08-2009 at 03:48 PM.
Old 23-08-2009, 06:10 PM   #7
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by south21
I stand corrected but as far as I know the fiesta does NOT have independant rear suspension and thats the only way you will get negative camber on the rear, I would get it checked. My tyres wear dead even.

Just because it doesn't have IRS, doesn't mean you can't have camber issues.

Onto the issue at hand. How does the strut in the rear bolt up, as I can't remember? If it bolts up the same as the fronts, loosen off the 2 nuts and bolts that hold the strut to the stub axle assembly and wedge a screw driver between the strut housing and the stub axle. Make sure you pull the stub axle assembly towards the outer of the car. Then do the bolts back up.
Re check the camber and see if that makes a difference. If it doesn't, go to Pedders with one of those nuts and bolts from the stub axle assembly and get a camber bolt (or camber pin). Fit that up and see how you go.

If you don't have a similar set up on the rear, like the front, I'd be hazarding a guess you may have a bend stub axle.

See how you go with these suggestions and let us know how you get on
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2009, 06:23 PM   #8
Fi.ES.TA

Ok i had a closer look at mine today and i have got camber on the rear wheels leaning into the verchile but i dont have uneven wear of the tyres.
Fi.ES.TA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2009, 12:15 PM   #9
doctamick

I believe that the WS Fiesta has a torsion-beam-type rear suspension setup (i.e. it is semi-independent) - however, I have not got under the car to have a look. The factory settings should provide a small amount of negative camber and, in my opinion, 1 to 1.5 degrees does not seem excessive. However, the accelerated wear on the inner tread is a concern, depending on how severe it is.

Things to consider:
- How many kilometres has the car done? The tyres should be rotated at least every 10,000 kms, and wheel alignment done at around 20,000 km intervals.
- Is the wear on both rear tyres? Wear on one side could indicate that the wheel/tyre has been knocked out of alignment on a curb, pothole, etc.

A good four wheel alignment should be around $60, either from your dealer or from any reputed wheel and tyre shop. They will have information on the correct factory settings for your vehicle. Also, for your own peace of mind, ask for a print-out of the wheel alignment settings, before and after the job.
doctamick is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2009, 07:11 PM   #10
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctamick
I believe that the WS Fiesta has a torsion-beam-type rear suspension setup (i.e. it is semi-independent) - however, I have not got under the car to have a look.
A good four wheel alignment should be around $60, either from your dealer or from any reputed wheel and tyre shop. They will have information on the correct factory settings for your vehicle. Also, for your own peace of mind, ask for a print-out of the wheel alignment settings, before and after the job.

If they have a beam in the back, you can't adjust them. There is nothing there to adjust. That's unless you want to bend a solid pipe. Even doing that will only solve a toe issue, not the camber issue. So asking for a 4 wheel alignment will make you look like a fool and you'll be ripped off. Sorry for being so blunt, but that's how it is.

I'd like to know how the rear strut is bolted up. Is it bolted up with 2 nuts and bolts through the stub axle or is a single nut and bolt through the beam? This will help determine the best way to fix this problem.
Old 25-08-2009, 12:19 AM   #11
greenfoam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

1.5 degrees doesn't seem enough to do any real inside wear on it's own. My early irs Commodore has some serious camber 2.5 degrees I think is the factory setting, that wears the insides a bit, but not too much
Old 25-08-2009, 11:59 AM   #12
jafa4rd
Starter Motor

Hi guys apologies for not posting more pics. Seems i've hit the limit there. Don't know how to get around that.
The car is only 3 weeks old travelled less than 500km.
White writing on the tyre tread near the outside edge shows the rubber is not contacting the road at all in that area
Will try to take some pics of the suspension setup on the weekend - if she let me close to it _ _2:

Last edited by jafa4rd; 25-08-2009 at 12:05 PM.
Old 25-08-2009, 01:05 PM   #13
doctamick

If it is already showing so much wear after only 500 kms, I would take it back to the dealer and ask for them to check the alignment at the rear to see if it is within the factory specs. As svo supporter has said, with the torsion beam rear there is no place for adjustment. (I had a look under there last night... my bad!)
doctamick is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2009, 07:07 PM   #14
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenfoam
1.5 degrees doesn't seem enough to do any real inside wear on it's own. My early irs Commodore has some serious camber 2.5 degrees I think is the factory setting, that wears the insides a bit, but not too much

I can tell you, that ain't a "factory" setting for a Commodore. Early or late. Commodores are a different kettle of fish and I won't get into that with this topic. I will say, you'll have more than a little bit of inside edge wear with it.

Instead of pics and waiting until you go to a suspension shop with the car, unbolt a rear wheel. Have a look at how the strut bolts up and tell me whether it has 2 nuts and bolts holding it to the stub axle, or whether it has a single nut and bolt holding it to the rear beam. Then I can tell you whether you can do something with it or not. Otherwise I can see you being slugged for nothing.
Old 26-08-2009, 11:28 AM   #15
zetec jim
04 fiesta zetec

I think the point here is that there is definately something wrong if you've only had the car for that amount of time and you're getting that type of wear in the tyres. Take it back!!!
Interior: Colour-coded trims. ST leather gear knob w leather gaiter. Brushed Aluminium pedals. Scuff Plates.
Performance: Denso Iridium sparks. CAI. 2" cat-back with Hi-tech stainless muffler & dual chrome tips. Lowered. RSB soon!
zetec jim is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2009, 03:25 PM   #16
greenfoam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by svo supporter
I can tell you, that ain't a "factory" setting for a Commodore. Early or late. Commodores are a different kettle of fish and I won't get into that with this topic. I will say, you'll have more than a little bit of inside edge wear with it.
The suspension guy here messured it for me when I got it and had the front end setup, the rear was just over 2 degrees both sides, he said that was really good for a stocker and perfectly within specs. It's not been lowered, just factory FE2. I use a pair of tyres each 3,000 ks since it spends alot of time at the track but the insides don't go much before the outside. It's only just over 1300kgs so I that might help so might might help compared to the later models
Old 26-08-2009, 08:46 PM   #17
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenfoam
The suspension guy here messured it for me when I got it and had the front end setup, the rear was just over 2 degrees both sides, he said that was really good for a stocker and perfectly within specs. It's not been lowered, just factory FE2. I use a pair of tyres each 3,000 ks since it spends alot of time at the track but the insides don't go much before the outside. It's only just over 1300kgs so I that might help so might might help compared to the later models

I can tell you the specs for a IRS Commodore are very very broad. Minimum is 1/2 neg and maximum is 3 degrees neg. So yeah,I surpose you're Commodore is within "factory specs". (Just so happens I looked them up today)

I'm not going to go there with this side of things. Commodores are a different kettle of fish as far as rear end "specs" and tyre wear issues are concerned. So it might be best to leave it there hey?
Old 26-08-2009, 10:23 PM   #18
jafa4rd
Starter Motor

Thanks all
I'll take it back to the dealer and have it checked. They should know - right??
cheers
Old 27-08-2009, 01:38 AM   #19
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by jafa4rd
Thanks all
I'll take it back to the dealer and have it checked. They should know - right??
cheers

Yeah, but they'll probably tell you it's in "spec", which is a very broad spectrum.