Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 15-05-2010, 04:50 PM   #1
ford man xf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Digital radio and older cars

Did a quick search and couldnt find a discussion on it, but I was reading Fridays cars guide and read a question about digital radio and it got me thinking what will happen when the old radio signal is pulled after 2015 and you can only get a digital signal, is there something you can buy to recieve the digital signal with an older analogue radio, a lot of us still use the original radios/CD players that came with our cars to keep it original.

ford man xf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2010, 04:55 PM   #2
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Yes, this is a fair question. In my olden holden I purposely keep the AM-only radio, will they be turning off AM too?
Old 15-05-2010, 06:58 PM   #3
cobramania
FPV BFII GT Cobra No.249

To start with in Australia, neither Analogue AM or FM is going to be turned off any time soon, especially not in 2015, turning off Analogue AM & FM radio is not even being considered (before 2020), let alone being planned for. Digital radio in Australia is only being looked at currently (by all in the radio communications industry), as a supplementary service to Analogue AM & FM broadcasting, not as a replacement. Outside of the 5 capital cities, there isn't any digital radio yet. These areas (regional & country) will likely be going with a different digital radio platform (DRM instead of DAB+), but the Government isn't going to look any further into it or make a decision on digital radio (outside the 5 capital cities) until 2011. Until this decision has been made & digital radio becomes in widespread use, car manufacturers will be reluctant to install digital radio tuners as OEM equipment. This is another reason why Analogue AM & FM won't be turned off for a long time. Give it about a ten year change over time after the decision has been made to actually turn off Analogue AM & FM, & you're probably looking at 2030 or beyond, & most current cars will no longer be running on the road.
Anyone who try's to tell you Analogue AM & FM radio will be turned off anytime soon, has no idea what they're talking about, is fooling themselves, & trying to fool you. (If you're wondering, yes I do know what I'm talking about, I have been involved in many discussions with Broadcasting technicians, other interested parties & even a digital radio manufacturer).
If you want digital radio in your car now, or are worried about the future, a radio (similar to a digital TV set top box), is available which receives the digital radio signals & then transfers them to your current Analogue radio, by either plugging into it's Aux. port, or by transmitting it via an FM transmitter, to be picked up & tuned in on a FM channel on your radio.
cobramania is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2010, 07:14 PM   #4
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

2010 will see greater choice of aftermarket Digital radio, rem also that AUS is DAB+ specification.

From Malta EU; this DIN sized digital radio (DAB+), first that I know of in this measure;-

Bluestate RA 557 - DAB+ Car Stereo
http://www.dab.com.mt/site/portal.asp?module=rec

Aussie review of above:-
http://www.mobileelectronics.com.au/...now_a_reality/

See other GPS style mount types also. More DIN and Double DIN DAB+ gear in time.

REM, some of these new products may or may not carry ye olde AM band, so do check if that matters to you.
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post