Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 22-06-2011, 05:12 PM   #1
Dustin_80

Default Gold Coast, home of the hostile and on-edge

I was having a conversation with a very well travelled colleague today and he explained to me what many of us allready know or at least wouldn't be surprised to hear, that he has never encountered a place quite as rude as the Gold Coast.

Before you lynch me (as FF.com LOVES to do) I will remind you this was an observation made by a colleague. And he is a very mild mannered person indeed.

He was confused by the Gold Coast's thriving culture whereby business' treat PAYING CUSTOMERS with absolute contempt.
My colleage spoke of dining in Surfers Paradise and getting abused by staff for things as simple of forgetting to use a coaster.
He also spoke of being threatened on more than one occasion because he didn't clean up after himself after a meal.
And in most cases these staff members were women. The fairer sex my foot!

What exactly are the staff being paid for?

I myself have been a gym member in the past and recall being abused by staff the 1 out of 100 times I forgot to de-rack my weights.
So again what is it the staff get paid to do?
And more importantly who is it that keeps their business running and in turn provides them with the ability to make a living?

Old 22-06-2011, 05:14 PM   #2
Dustin_80

Default Re: Gold Coast, home of the hostile and on-edge

I have plenty more to add but will remain professional by not divulging business matters
Old 22-06-2011, 05:25 PM   #3
Donny
Tickford 220kw Windsor...

Try finding decent reliable tradies here on the Gold Coast.. I only had 5 companies teed up to quote for fitting air con in my house..
1 Turned up.. 2 rang with excuses about getting the address wrong or being out of town an not able to make it, the rest never called or even turned up.
Of those who didnt turn up or call, 1 rang back a week later to ask if I still wanted them to come out...lol

The whole Gold Coast mentality bar a select, hard to find few is all... She'll be right mate, we will get there.. Chill out its the Gold Coast or Be cool mon...
Its been like this for many years now..

Donny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2011, 05:45 PM   #4
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Sorry to hear of that Dustin. Funny how such a small thing can ruin a great night out.

Get them back by never returning, and posting your experiences on many of the 'ratings / reviews' websites found online.

I have done this on only a few occasions myself, although I have thick skin, you know when someone has gone too far.

When myself and a large bunch of mates went for a drink in a very posh establishment in Sydney we were spoken to by one of the staff with such contempt that we all ordered drinks (table service) then got up and strolled out.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2011, 05:50 PM   #5
rayner22
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny
Try finding decent reliable tradies here on the Gold Coast.. I only had 5 companies teed up to quote for fitting air con in my house..
1 Turned up.. 2 rang with excuses about getting the address wrong or being out of town an not able to make it, the rest never called or even turned up.
Of those who didnt turn up or call, 1 rang back a week later to ask if I still wanted them to come out...lol

The whole Gold Coast mentality bar a select, hard to find few is all... She'll be right mate, we will get there.. Chill out its the Gold Coast or Be cool mon...
Hey Donny if you still need it done, chuck us a PM and let me know who you've tried using, I know a few of the decent ones. I've worked in the aircon wholesale industry on the coast for years....theres a lot of muppets in air con around ere

Old Rides:
BF MkII 07 XR6 , Seduce in colour.... : Growler Airbox, custom exhaust and other goodies
AUII TE-FORTE
Monsoon Blue,Full Cobra Performance exhaust system, G+D CAI, Crow Cam, Tickford Suspension, TE50 Kit, RDA Slotteds, Ridin on Advanti 18's
rayner22 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2011, 05:52 PM   #6
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin_80
I myself have been a gym member in the past and recall being abused by staff the 1 out of 100 times I forgot to de-rack my weights.
And more importantly who is it that keeps their business running and in turn provides them with the ability to make a living?

That exact same thing happened to me when I was holidaying up there last year....One arvo went to Fitness First Southport - Went to use some weights which i picked off the floor where someone else had left them - did 3 sets of whatever and then just dropped them there....The female staff member saw me do that and was quick to come over and reprimand me over that one.
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,
GT0132 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2011, 05:54 PM   #7
Dustin_80

Quote:
I suppose this may be the case. But only up until they're the ones who are made to wait.
Then it's SHTF!
Just try driving on our roads.
Old 22-06-2011, 05:56 PM   #8
Dustin_80

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT0132
That exact same thing happened to me when I was holidaying up there last year....One arvo went to Fitness First Southport - Went to use some weights which i picked off the floor where someone else had left them - did 3 sets of whatever and then just dropped them there....The female staff member saw me do that and was quick to come over and reprimand me over that one.
HAHA! Yep I'd give odds of 90% the weights were originally off the floor in the fist place or the user before me didn't de-rack them either.
And it was a Southport gym as well.
Old 22-06-2011, 06:03 PM   #9
66GT

There is a lot of both good & bad folk here on the Gold Coast. It's very unforntunate that we all remember the bad & often overlook the person who simply just gets on & does the job they are paid to do. I've lived on or at the coast for many years & have seen or experienced a lot of it. But yes this casual attitude from the fly by nighters seems to be on the rise unfortunitally.
66GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2011, 06:34 PM   #10
84xespac
Wearing an armadillo hat

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66GT
But yes this casual attitude from the fly by nighters seems to be on the rise unfortunitally.
Here with have the answer. With the exception of 2 yrs abroad and a couple in Brisbane I have lived on the Goldie for the last 20 odd yrs. I think it is fair to say that over 60% of our service industry workers are only here for a short period of time. They don't give a to$$ about their place of employment or work history because when they leave they leave it behind.
Atm I am working for a carpet cleaning company as I want some time off the road out of the transport industry and you only have to look at the state these people leave their units in to know how little they care. As i said easy to do when you can just pack bags and move on.
84xespac is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2011, 06:37 PM   #11
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Since when has the Gold Coast been trying to emulate Perth??

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2011, 09:07 PM   #12
SM1DY
LIKE A BOSS 351

Quote:
My old man always says that exact thing about other tradies on the Gold Coast, that they have this 'get there when I get there' mentality and they often don't even make the effort.
SM1DY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2011, 04:02 AM   #13
onfire
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I loved the Gold Coast when I was there. Fantastic scene during May Day, or whatever it was called, all the food places near surfers were good, the staff good.. maybe it's just your mate.
onfire is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2011, 08:14 AM   #14
Dustin_80

Quote:
Originally Posted by onfire
I loved the Gold Coast when I was there. Fantastic scene during May Day, or whatever it was called, all the food places near surfers were good, the staff good.. maybe it's just your mate.
well maybe it was just your visit?
Old 23-06-2011, 08:30 AM   #15
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

The GC has been on our "Places to Avoid" list for two years now....

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2011, 10:28 AM   #16
prydey
Rob

personally i think sometimes it goes both ways. its not hard to put things away when you've finished, or put your own rubbish in bin, or just generally leave places in a tidy manner. sure, there are staff to do these jobs but too many people, when they go out, live exactly the opposite to how they would if they were at home.

i certainly wouldn't be pointing the finger just at staff. manners in general are a thing of the past.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2011, 10:33 AM   #17
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84xespac
Atm I am working for a carpet cleaning company as I want some time off the road out of the transport industry and you only have to look at the state these people leave their units in to know how little they care. As i said easy to do when you can just pack bags and move on.
And then they tar all other good renters who do the right thing with the same brush. Had my fair share of fighting with property managers over the tiniest little things.

I've been living on the Gold Coast for the last 14 months and I won't say it's the best place to live but its better than living in some other areas around SE QLD.

And I find plenty of rude and ignorant fools here as well. Again though it's not only the Gold Coast where these people exist.
Old 23-06-2011, 10:38 AM   #18
ELGT4me
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thumbs down Re: Gold Coast, home of the hostile and on-edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
Ain't that the truth, you want rude customer service? You want tradies who never keep appointments & don't bother to ring you to say they cannot meet you? Come to Perth.
ELGT4me is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2011, 12:24 PM   #19
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Quote:

I'm with the gym on that one dude...My warmup consists of removing weights that people leave on...****** me right off.

I understand they are paid to do it, but have some courtesy...

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2011, 12:41 PM   #20
CFOUR
The Destroyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
Funny you mention that. I grew up on the gold coast and never plan on leaving, if I where forced out the only place in the country I find even remotely bareable is Perth. Tourists even interstate ones are remarkably easy to spot and they definately get the short end with staff. I do tend to avoid surfers paradise as it is always full of tourists during the day and people begging for a right hook at night. Try broadbeach it's like surfers was 10 years ago. Oh and anywhere north of nerang has recycled water in there taps (yuck)
Old 23-06-2011, 02:33 PM   #21
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

Is Coolangatta considered part of the Gold Coast? Whilst Surfers is bad, if you find yourself in the wrong spot then Coolangatta/Tweed is dangerous.
cheap is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2011, 02:50 PM   #22
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheap
Is Coolangatta considered part of the Gold Coast? Whilst Surfers is bad, if you find yourself in the wrong spot then Coolangatta/Tweed is dangerous.
Yeah, it is.
Old 23-06-2011, 05:00 PM   #23
rayner22
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFOUR
Oh and anywhere north of nerang has recycled water in there taps (yuck)
LOL the contamination was a once of pipeline malfunction years ago.

Coomera and Pimpama do have recycled water but its a separate pipe system and thats why they have purple taps outside of houses.

Old Rides:
BF MkII 07 XR6 , Seduce in colour.... : Growler Airbox, custom exhaust and other goodies
AUII TE-FORTE
Monsoon Blue,Full Cobra Performance exhaust system, G+D CAI, Crow Cam, Tickford Suspension, TE50 Kit, RDA Slotteds, Ridin on Advanti 18's
Old 23-06-2011, 06:08 PM   #24
mr smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I was having a conversation with a very well travelled colleague today and he explained to me what many of us allready know or at least wouldn't be surprised to hear, that he has never encountered a place quite as rude as the Gold Coast.

Before you lynch me (as FF.com LOVES to do) I will remind you this was an observation made by a colleague. And he is a very mild mannered person indeed.

He was confused by the Gold Coast's thriving culture whereby business' treat PAYING CUSTOMERS with absolute contempt.
My colleage spoke of dining in Surfers Paradise and getting abused by staff for things as simple of forgetting to use a coaster.
He also spoke of being threatened on more than one occasion because he didn't clean up after himself after a meal.
And in most cases these staff members were women. The fairer sex my foot!

What exactly are the staff being paid for?

This is why Im glad were about to get the recession we have to have. Time to sort out the trash from the gems.
mr smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2011, 06:19 PM   #25
SEZ213
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always puts a good amount of thought into his posts and voices his ideas and opinions in a well thought out and constructive manner. I have certainly seen many threads where his input has been constructive to the topic and overall the forum has benfited f 

haha, I recall my father getting stuck into a service station attendant in Perth for being just that...the guy didn't say anything, it was the way he handed dad the change (not even a glance at him, passed off the cash as he was turning away)...

Gold Coast I have found has become overpopulated by those who think they're 'better' than the average, but it's not just the Gold Coast, it's pretty much everywhere.

Think about the last time you went out somewhere, were the waitstaff even smiling? Supermarkets are a prime example...they don't even smile at people...I can understand their job is annoying, but how hard is it to say hello, without grunting at someone?

Continually having a battle of wits with unarmed opponents.

Sez

Photo's by Sez
SEZ213 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2011, 07:27 PM   #26
Wise
DWF00N

The GC has no right to be easy going. Its not hawaii!

Anyway, I've only had bad experiences at the generic places u go like hooters or hard rock. Even then they weren't that bad compared to a few middle range places in sydney

If you're getting bad service, just talk to the manager. A lot of the people in the service industry need to be taken down a peg or two and remember who they're there for.

Just like to put in a good word (cuz no one seems to point out the good people) for the staff at places like jupiters, the theme parks, the italian place just off cavill ave overlooking the beach that have all been good to me on my many visits.

At least all the staff on the goldie aren't all back packers like up at airlie beach. Most can't take an order let alone wait a table properly. I understand they need the money, but so do people who are good at it and enjoy their work.

Also would like to point out that the bars on the goldie are quicker to serve than sydney too.

Now for sale - 30k
Wise is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2011, 07:32 PM   #27
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

I just come back from up at Surfers. I didn't think the people were all that bad. There were many that were useless (and the cabbies all seem to wanna kill ya), but in terms of being rude and having a go I didn't really see that. Mind you we were having a go at many because they can't get simple things right, or forget parts of your order. Worked well as we got a few discounts while up there.
Old 23-06-2011, 07:48 PM   #28
fasty73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Glad to hear so many people want to stay away from the Gold Coast!!!! Leave us be happy the way we are without all you whingers coming up and ruining our lives!!!! ...... Waits for ban or warning
Old 23-06-2011, 07:51 PM   #29
Donny
Tickford 220kw Windsor...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayner22
Hey Donny if you still need it done, chuck us a PM and let me know who you've tried using, I know a few of the decent ones. I've worked in the aircon wholesale industry on the coast for years....theres a lot of muppets in air con around ere

Cheers and thanks for that. I still wanna get it done one day.. I have a reliable fridgie who is a qualified Sparky too who can install it all.. Iv just gotta do the legwork on getting the units (split).. One of my installs is a basic back to back, the other needs a bit of creative thinking re outside location and concealing pipework etc..

There are some good tradies here, but their few n far between, and you get a good surprise when you do get a good one.. The company that renovated my walkin wardrobes was excellent and very professional. I also recently had all my trees cut down and the company that did that were very professional too..

Iv lived on the Gold Coast 31 years now, and have seen lots of changes here, not many for the better.. But its still not a bad place..

Donny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2011, 07:54 PM   #30
rayner22
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thats alright mate, check out a few of the local wholesalers.... even if they dont give you full trade price the difference between them and retail places will be huge.

Old Rides:
AUII TE-FORTE