Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 05-01-2012, 11:16 AM   #1
Uncle_Ken
Next upgraded Mk1 Leopard
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always putting some imput into the forums to help or make it a bit easier for others Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Default Paint didn't work

Bugger. I have done some touch up repairs on the AU over the past few days. Mostly stone chips. But I had 1 large scrape on the bottom of one of my side skirts that I thought I would spray. I had some Monsoon Blue in a can and some clear finish. Now I know that Monsoon Blue is a 2 Pac paint so I was a good boy and sprayed it on lighlty, wet sand between coats (1500 and 2000 paper) and left for a day after I had covered the scrape. I then did 5 coats of the clear and again waited 24 hours before cutting back.

Well it is nice and smooth but the clear is still milky. What have I done wrong? I was going to re spray the rear spoiler but now I think I am going to have to spend some $$$ and get it done by a pro.

UK

How 2's: Change rear view mirror, Install backfire valve, Change foam front seats, Install auto transmission cooler, Replace Trans Shift Globe, Remove front door Trim, Paint AU headlights, install door spears, Premium Rear Parcel Shelf, go here...
Uncle_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2012, 11:54 AM   #2
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Helpful and detailed posts on car care. 
Default Re: Paint didn't work

Pictures?
Old 05-01-2012, 02:57 PM   #3
Uncle_Ken
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always putting some imput into the forums to help or make it a bit easier for others Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave93761
Pictures?
Yeap. I know the paint is not a great match, but I am confused with the clear.

and

and

UK
How 2's: Change rear view mirror, Install backfire valve, Change foam front seats, Install auto transmission cooler, Replace Trans Shift Globe, Remove front door Trim, Paint AU headlights, install door spears, Premium Rear Parcel Shelf, go here...
Old 05-01-2012, 03:02 PM   #4
Whoosha
AU DIE HARD
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the things you do behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Bigest headache with that is the clear, it needs blending clear to make it blend in , very hard to achieve with a part panel from a can , you can just top coat the blue and polish it with out a clear coat, for the area your doing it would be fine , or you could just do the whole panel but it will probabley peel if it gets chipped again. or maybe get the paint shop to mix a can with some clear added.

........Age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth and skill.......

CORTINA 250 2V POWER soon to be AUXR8 Windsor pwrd

.............WINDSOR WARLORD WHO CARRIES THE CLEVO MAFIA AND BROKEN BOSSES...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
Quote of the weekend: "The quarter mile wasn't as long as I expected it to be".

Last edited by Whoosha; 05-01-2012 at 03:08 PM.
Whoosha is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2012, 04:34 PM   #5
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Wouldn't it need to be buffed after it cures too? That's gotta help with the frosty appearance surely?

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2012, 04:40 PM   #6
Whoosha
AU DIE HARD
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the things you do behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval
Wouldn't it need to be buffed after it cures too? That's gotta help with the frosty appearance surely?
Yes that will help, but its the edge is ware the problem will be it will just keep peeling back , if the colour match is good enough just a polish with no clear will be fine , as for the rear spolier UK if your painting the whole unit I would avoid trying to do it from a can .

Quote:
Old 05-01-2012, 05:50 PM   #7
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Helpful and detailed posts on car care. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoosha
Yes that will help, but its the edge is ware the problem will be it will just keep peeling back , if the colour match is good enough just a polish with no clear will be fine , as for the rear spolier UK if your painting the whole unit I would avoid trying to do it from a can .
This.
Old 05-01-2012, 07:36 PM   #8
Uncle_Ken
Donating Member1

Thanks guys. I was told as it was that I had to go over with clear to get the shine effect like 2 Pack (which I can't get in a spray can). This is correct?
UK
Old 05-01-2012, 07:55 PM   #9
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

you can get clear coat in a can. But the application of the clear coat wont be as neat and crisp as it would be off a gun.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2012, 08:01 PM   #10
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

Clearcoat will give the finish it's depth and gloss. When using a spray can - VERY VERY light and thin coats...

It may well be worth seeing if a mobile paint repairer can assist with this...they should be able to do a 'mini-respray' of just the affected area, and they can make sure it blends pretty well also.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:04 PM   #11
Whoosha
AU DIE HARD
Donating Member1

I would ask your local paint shop if they can do a mix in a can for you 75 /35 would do on the small part your doing, or there's a compressor and some dusty old guns and gear in my shed
Old 06-01-2012, 09:41 AM   #12
Uncle_Ken
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoosha
I would ask your local paint shop if they can do a mix in a can for you 75 /35 would do on the small part your doing, or there's a compressor and some dusty old guns and gear in my shed
Whoosha I have not heard of this one, 75/35. what is it and how would it work?
75 paint 35 clear?

UK
Old 06-01-2012, 10:31 AM   #13
blumx

Rapid temp change or very cold panel will cause this. On a touch up area I personally would not have used a clear coat.

cheers
Keith
blumx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2012, 11:24 AM   #14
Whoosha
AU DIE HARD
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle_Ken
Whoosha I have not heard of this one, 75/35. what is it and how would it work?
75 paint 35 clear?

UK
Type O 75 /25

Yes thats the basic idea, not even sure they would do it for you , The basic theroy with Acrylic Paint I was taught back in the day (pre 2 pac dinasour days) was cover the repair with the base colour , usally 3 coats , followed buy 2 complete coats of colour . then a 50 50 mix of colour and clear,2 coats, then 75% clear 25% paint, 2 coats, then 1 or 2 coats of straight clear, works fine for large repairs or just scale it down for smaller jobs, the problem with metalics if your using a clear coat you have to blend it into the existing part of the panel which involves spraying a blending clear on to the good surface to get the paint to flow on from the repair . It can get bigger than Ben Hur, which is why I wouldn't use a clear over the top on a small repair

Quote: