Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 03-03-2006, 10:19 AM   #1
act2617

Talking Mercedes-Benz CLK 63 AMG

Thursday, March 02, 2006

Mercedes-Benz CLK 63 AMG
DaimlerChrysler Press Release

A new top V8 model is making its debut in Geneva in the form of the CLK 63 AMG. The 100% AMG-developed 6.3-litre V8 engine under the bonnet promises a truly memorable driving experience. Available in both Coupe and Cabriolet guise, the CLK 63 AMG eclipses the power and torque figures for any other model in this segment with a maximum output of 354 kW/481 hp and 630 Newton metres of peak torque.

Compared to its predecessor, the CLK 55 AMG, power has been upped by 84 kW/114 hp (+31 percent) and torque by 120 Newton metres (+23 percent) in the CLK 63 AMG. With new AMG high- performance composite brakes, a new AMG sports suspension, new AMG 18- inch light-alloy wheels plus exclusive and dynamic standard appointments, the new CLK 63 AMG is the sportiest and most elite CLK to date.
The new AMG 6.3-litre V8 engine delivers truly explosive performance: the CLK 63 AMG Coupe sprints from standstill to 100 km/h in 4.6 seconds (predecessor: 5.2 s), with the Cabriolet taking 4.7 seconds (predecessor: 5.4 s). The electronically limited maximum speed is 250 km/h. The majestic power delivery of the Mercedes-AMG V8 engine permits either electrifying acceleration or relaxed cruising in a high gear with ample power reserves. The new 6.3-litre V8 engine from AMG is the first in the world to combine the high-revving concept with a large displacement. Developed exclusively by AMG, this high-performance engine delivers 20 percent more torque than comparable naturally aspirated engines with a similar power rating.

AMG V8 naturally aspirated engine with an array of high-tech features Made entirely from high-strength aluminium, the V8 naturally aspirated engine is packed with a wealth of fascinating racetrack technology that reflects AMG's rich motorsport heritage. The vertical arrangement of the intake and exhaust ports together with the sophisticated new variable intake manifold featuring two integral throttle flaps results in superlative cylinder charging.

The use of bucket tappets in the cylinder heads paves the way for a stiff valve train and therefore high engine speeds. Variable camshaft adjustment, an extra-rigid closed-deck crankcase and cylinder walls with a revolutionary new LDS coating are further attributes of this ultra-sophisticated V8 engine made by Mercedes-AMG.

This unique combination of a fast-running design and a large displacement achieves the best of both worlds: exhilarating high-revving flexibility accompanied by high pulling power at low engine speeds. The decidedly sporty character of the CLK 63 AMG manifests itself in the form of tremendous agility and dynamic responsiveness across all engine speed ranges. The new AMG V8 delivers 500 Newton metres of torque to the crankshaft as low down as 2000 rpm, while the maximum of 630 Newton metres is on tap at 5000 rpm.

The new AMG V8 unit promises dynamic acceleration, instantaneous pickup and sheer driving pleasure at the highest level. With its new, sporty AMG soundtrack which was fine-tuned during an extensive series of tests, the eight-cylinder powerpack from Affalterbach offers all the spine-tingling excitement of a high- revving V8 naturally aspirated engine that makes its presence both heard and felt at any engine speed.

Source: DaimlerChrysler Press Releases

act2617 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2006, 10:25 AM   #2
Steffo
LPG > You

354kW? So its down on the E63 (380kW). Well, it always was down on the E55 in CLK55 form so...

Peak torque hasn't moved though. I hope this thing gives the M6 the butt kicking the E55 does to the M5.

Gotta love them mis-quoting pfederstarke (PS) figures as horsepower though. 354kW is 474hp, the 481 is the PS figure.
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2006, 01:00 PM   #3
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

[QUOTE=act2617]Thursday, March 02, 2006

Mercedes-Benz CLK 63 AMG
DaimlerChrysler Press Release

Available in both Coupe and Cabriolet guise, the CLK 63 AMG eclipses the power and torque figures for any other model in this segment with a maximum output of 354 kW/481 hp and 630 Newton metres of peak torque.

How can they say that when the AMG 65 is 450kw & 1000Nm?(and has been for 2 yrs) OR is that a different "segment"?
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Charliewool is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2006, 01:03 PM   #4
Rev28K
re

Location: Victoria - where being slow & incompetent is considered being "safe"

They were planning on releasing this engine in 2 stages of tune (so that a cheaper lighter C class wouldn’t eclipse a heavier more expensive E, S or M class fitted with the same engine).

Nice to see Mercedes finally back with 4v engines.
Rev28K is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2006, 02:30 PM   #5
Ringo
I see you....

Aren't the older AMG's supercharged ? This new one is aspirated
Ringo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2006, 03:38 PM   #6
Homer1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This is the new F1 safety car for 2006
Homer1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2006, 03:50 PM   #7
henry 351
Punch it baby, punch it.

Location: Working hard. If you work hard you get the goodies.

I love seeing Mercedes getting back to their roots. 6.3 litres, the upcoming 4.5 litre, and the recent 3.5 litre. So that leaves the mighty 6.9 for the future? what a lovely thought.

Shame about all this speed limiting nonsense. Mercedes proudly built the fastest 4 door production cars in the world in the early to late 70's. It would be interesting to see what this new beast could do for top speed, obviously high 200's/maybe low300's???
Old 03-03-2006, 04:45 PM   #8
Iphido
Guy that posts stuff

These would all do 300+ kmph unlimited. Now we see why germany limits there cars, there are alot of cars that would easily do 260+kmph unlimited. The new 550 should do 280kmph. The new S8 will do over 300 kmph the list is getting bigger every day.

My neighbour has a mint 450SEL 6.9L merc, very nice car. Apparently they can top 250..

I hardly think they are the first with large capacity and high reving engines tho, what FUD!..
Iphido is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2006, 08:13 PM   #9
Brute6
Lurvin' my Ute!!!

Anything with the AMG badge stuck on it, I love!!!! Brute Force!!

HERS: SZ Territory TS, Havana

Proud Member "FPV & XR Owners Club of Vic"

Brute6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2006, 08:30 PM   #10
MrSparkle
An Old Boss™©
Contributing Member

Sensational engine and I bet it sounds the business too (like the previous and current 55's). I wonder if Brabus has shoved it into an SLK body yet!

Zose crayyyzeeeee Chermins!
Old 03-03-2006, 11:11 PM   #11
ClevlndStemer
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliewool

How can they say that when the AMG 65 is 450kw & 1000Nm?(and has been for 2 yrs) OR is that a different "segment"?
I think you'll find that the 63 is a 6.3 litre V8 and the 65 you're thinking of is a 6.5litre V12 TT.
ClevlndStemer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2006, 12:59 AM   #12
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevlndStemer
I think you'll find that the 63 is a 6.3 litre V8 and the 65 you're thinking of is a 6.5litre V12 TT.
I think you'll find that the 63 is a 6.2litre (6208cc) DOHC 32-valve V8 and the 65 is a 6.0litre (5980cc) SOHC 36-valve Twin Turbo V12.

The 55's were 5439cc (5.4litre) V8s. The last AMG cars to actually have the name reflect the capacity were the C32 and SLK32 AMG, which had a 3.2litre Supercharged V6.
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2006, 01:40 AM   #13
ClevlndStemer
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffo
I think you'll find that the 63 is a 6.2litre (6208cc) DOHC 32-valve V8 and the 65 is a 6.0litre (5980cc) SOHC 36-valve Twin Turbo V12.
depends on which site you visit, sure the cc is right but hey AMG state on their site 6.3 so thats what i went with. but yes my mistake on the 6.0.
ClevlndStemer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post