Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 25-04-2009, 05:00 PM   #1
Ben85

Default Brake Pads!?

So my mechanic tells me that i'm up for brakes at me next service. Wats the general consensus? EBC Greenstuff the best brakes for these cars? Or do we kno of something better?

Interior:- MOMO Blue Leather Gear Knob, Window tint, Scuff Plates, ST Black & Blue Leather seats, Soundstream Amp & 5x7 speakers, Sony Headunit, Pioneer sub & Amp.

Under the Hood:- Superchips ECU Flash Tune, Denso Iridium plugs, KV85 Magnecor Leads, BMC CDA Induction.

Exterior:- Spoiler, clear side repeaters, Lowered (35mm) King Springs, Whiteline 22mm Rear sway bar, 2" cat back exhaust with a dual conversion, Konig 17" Hotswap with Kumho Rubber, HID's.
Ben85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2009, 06:35 PM   #2
zbeasty

I've got the greenstuffs and they definitely are better than the standards. The only things is that you'll chew through discs faster.
zbeasty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2009, 06:38 PM   #3
Ben85

Why's that?

Interior:- MOMO Blue Leather Gear Knob, Window tint, Scuff Plates, ST Black & Blue Leather seats, Soundstream Amp & 5x7 speakers, Sony Headunit, Pioneer sub & Amp.

Under the Hood:- Superchips ECU Flash Tune, Denso Iridium plugs, KV85 Magnecor Leads, BMC CDA Induction.

Exterior:- Spoiler, clear side repeaters, Lowered (35mm) King Springs, Whiteline 22mm Rear sway bar, 2" cat back exhaust with a dual conversion, Konig 17" Hotswap with Kumho Rubber, HID's.
Old 25-04-2009, 09:53 PM   #4
zbeasty

They are a harder compound than the originals. I put them on at 45,000km and went from barely perceptible lip to full machine at 60,000km and replace the discs at 75,000km. I do a lot of peak hour driving from Moorebank to Gladesville every day so that may have contributed to the advanced wear but the extra braking is definitely worth the change. I put RDA slotted rotors on to replace the originals and after 5,000km of the same driving there is no noticeable lip so fingers crossed these will last longer. I'm looking at going bigger diameter anyway won't be an issue.
Old 25-04-2009, 09:55 PM   #5
Ben85

are the RDA slotted disc's a good upgrade? How much are they worth? And where can you buy them from?

Old 25-04-2009, 10:50 PM   #6
zbeasty

Definitely an improvement of the stock rotors. A mate of mine who is a mechanic got them for me but don't know where he got them. Their website is www.rdabrakes.com.au and they are the local EBC importer so they could well be repackaged EBC.
Old 26-04-2009, 07:49 AM   #7
LRXR8
BA XR8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben85
are the RDA slotted disc's a good upgrade? How much are they worth? And where can you buy them from?
Race Brakes Sydney are a site sponsor and look after forum members. Matt gave me a couple of really good deals when I had my XR8. Highly recommended.
LRXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2009, 09:17 AM   #8
CPOCSM

The Green Stuff pads are good but a lot harder and you have to work them a lot to get them to operating temperature. If you arent going out to the track a lot or you dont hit steep decents a lot - dont use the green stuff pads. I would suggest you use the EBC Black stuff pads instead as they are a bit cheaper and they heat up to operating temp better. They also dont chew your discs out when you drive. Please dont think they are inferior as they are cheaper - the complete opposite and you will get a lot of stop for your buck!

Another brand is the Quentin Hazel (pardon the spelling) or the Mintex brand - I swear by Mintex but I dont know whether they do the pads for Ford - I use them on the Soob and the Mini and nil brake dust!!!

Hooroo
CPOCSM is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2009, 05:15 PM   #9
Ben85

Does anyone kno the part numbers and have fitted Greenstuff pads to there WQ fiesta? Or the black stuff pads. Any info would be great.

Old 04-05-2009, 12:36 PM   #10
Ben85

Well just an update, ordered EBC Black Stuff pads from Race Brakes Sydney. They were very helpful.

Old 04-05-2009, 01:27 PM   #11
Piotr
Non-Regular Member

what was the damage? $$
Old 04-05-2009, 01:51 PM   #12
Ben85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr
what was the damage? $$
$96. Which i thought was fairly reasonable, considering supercheap wanted $90 for Standard Bendix brakes. From all accounts these EBC Black Stuff pads should noticeably out perform the stock pads and the Bendix General CT

Old 04-05-2009, 09:36 PM   #13
WPN XR6T
Useless

Matt at Racebrakes is great, he'll go to great lengths to sort your break package properly. He has helped me more times than I can remember and I would recommend him any day of the week.

Happiness is owning more Fords. Bliss is owning more XR's!

- 2005 BA II XR8 "The Dino"
- 2005 BA II XR6T "The T"
- 2008 WQ XR4 "The Fez"
WPN XR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2009, 11:07 PM   #14
Ben85

Quote:
Originally Posted by WPN XR6T
Matt at Racebrakes is great, he'll go to great lengths to sort your break package properly. He has helped me more times than I can remember and I would recommend him any day of the week.
We were actually chatting about your XR4. LOL. He is a good bloke. He's got my business.

Old 05-05-2009, 08:21 AM   #15
CPOCSM

Well done - for your moneys worth you have done well (better than I did - $105 here in Canberra!!)

The Green Stuff would have been too much hassle IMHO - by the time you have the greens up to temperature, you are arriving at your destination!!

Hooroo
CPOCSM is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post