Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 30-01-2012, 01:29 AM   #1
johnydep
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 
Default Focus Titanium review.

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11354263

Thank you to Maughan Thiem Ford for lending us a Focus Titanium to road test over the weekend.

After having tested the Titanium in suburb and city driving on Saturday, we took it on the highway today to see what it was like; Adelaide - Renmark.

I started to write up a review about our thoughts on the Focus, but after re-reading the Wheels magazine article on it decided that it said exactly what we (me and the family) found out. So I cut and pasted the important bits, below.

Firstly I'd like to say that I am very impressed with the Focus, we have now driven two models; Sport from Stillwell Ford, and the Titanium from Maughan Thiem Ford.
Both models are very capable vehicles, however, I don't understand Fords thinking. They offer a Sport model with firm suspension great handling, and a top spec model which I presume to be their luxury version, with a wheel/tyre package that destroys any semblance of being the luxury version.

Ford, what were you thinking? The tyres are noisy, the ride is bumpy, with a turning circle easily beaten by my Territory.

Put a decent wheel/tyre package on the Titanium!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quote Wheels magazine – February 2012 pg 80 –

“So much about the Focus impressed on our road course.” “the depth of accomplishment is dazzling; spacious and comfortable. With flowing composure and, importantly, rewarding dynamics that set a new class standard.”

Plush of ride, yet with brialliant handling precission and control, the Trend felt mature and refined in terms of NVH and performance, yet with a sparkle that made it so rewarding to drive.” “Trend absorbed punishing bumps, the body sitting near-flat through twists,”

“For the Sport, Ford firms up the suspension, adds 17in alloys” “The result is predictable: a firmer ride with improved body control and an extra degree of sharpness and responsiveness to turn-in. On smooth roads the trade-off is uncomplicated and logical.”

“Not so the Titanium. The flagship Focus adds 18in wheels and 235/40 rubber to the sports suspension. The result is a ride that is simply too firmly aggressive and noisy on Australian roads. Add the massively increased turning circle (because there isn’t enough room in the wheelarches for the front wheels to achieve the same angles as the others)…”
especially concerning their love of the motor vehicle.

http://www.fireservicecollege.ac.uk

Last edited by johnydep; 30-01-2012 at 01:35 AM.
johnydep is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post