Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 16-03-2006, 07:12 PM   #1
mrarmageddon

Exclamation 1999 Fairmont overflow/water leaki problem server

I have a 1999 Fairmont Ghia.

For the last few months I had been losing water so much that I would have to top up the overflow tank ever day. I drive over 200km round trip to work and home. If the weather is hot I would have to fill before I left work And sometimes again later in the evening for the next day.

Took it to the mechanic and he did a pressure test and couldn't see anything else wrong. So I continued on. Finally last week on my way to work on the M7 the water gauge was on hot and getting a warning sound, so I pulled over and no water in the overflow tank, tried to refill and the water just went straight out(literally gone withing a second)

There was also a hissing/whining sound which I didn't think so good so I called the nrma.

When he came out he tried to fill the tank and as soon as he stopped pouring the water in the OF tank just emptied like the flood gates just opened. He checked around as saw that there was water leaking from the water pump. So he got me to start the engine and filled the OF tank again the water now held it self.

So I had to follow him to a a nrma approved mechanic to get the watre pump and thermostate fixed. While speaking to the nrma guy he checked the OF tank and the water was bubbling pretty fierce.

A day and $312 later all fixed drive home water level ok no dripping. Goes like this for a few days. Check to see how it is all going and water level is down again, refill drive to work, come home, water level down.

Even after leaving the OF tank filled over night, there is water running down the driveway which you can tell is coolant from the car. SO went back to the mechanic at home ( not the one who repair the water pump as he is in wetherill park, I am in bargo) he say he will check next week the gasket, which he said could be a while ago.

Since this problem began occuring have I had no trouble starting the car, no water/smoke from the muffler. The water seems to be leaking somewhere around the overflow tank and move obiously right behind it ( or right in from of where the driver sits)

I am hoping I can get some ideas what could be the problem from Ford friends. Is there a easier quicker cheaper way to fix or is it the gasket??

thank you for reading, sorry it was sooooo long.

Last edited by mrarmageddon; 16-03-2006 at 07:29 PM.
mrarmageddon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2006, 07:26 PM   #2
LOWAU

Change your radiator cap that could be the problem. Maybe its not relasing at the right pressure or releasing to early, other then that no idea.
LOWAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2006, 09:41 AM   #3
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWAU
Change your radiator cap that could be the problem. Maybe its not relasing at the right pressure or releasing to early, other then that no idea.
Yep i'de be doing that too if in that position , good point ! ;)

:eclipsee_
XR6-VCT-2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2006, 10:18 AM   #4
mrarmageddon

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6-VCT-2000
Yep i'de be doing that too if in that position , good point ! ;)

thanks guys. will give that a try.
mrarmageddon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post